Hotpoint washer dryer

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've a leak from the underside of my Hotpoint washer/dryer straight from the bottom of the drum. It's definitely the drum as you can see it, not major but a leak all the same that eventually travels onto the tiles.

I have changed the tub gasket on my old washer by stripping it down, removing the tub then unbolt and split in 2. I then replaced the rubber band type gasket some proper sealant high temp stuff, jobs done.

So yesterday I starts looking for a gasket and I thought I'm struggling here to find one. So today I rings Hotpoint it turns out this particular model is a sealed/welded plastic drum, you can't split the plastic drum tub it's plastic welded so no access to the gasket, new drum £325.98 A new gasket on other washers is roughly £15 so basically if tub leaks it's a new washer.

i was tempted to have a go with something, there's an ever so slight gap between the 2 tubs.
My rant is,
Why on God's earth make so you can't split it even if say the metal inside got damaged

F##kin fuming here and only a few year old just out of warranty

Looks like they have built it that way so if it brakes you have to get the full unit to repair it , or get a brand new washing machine, cheeky fookers , well if you get another one some time dump the Hotpoint brand

Yeah joke of a design and what's worse, you can see a black seal inside the plastic.
Most have bolts you tighten in sequence but I thought when I looked under it
"Where's the friggin bolts on the tub??"

It didn't click in my head, tbh I would never have thought some pleb would design it not to come apart.
What would happen say the metal drum broke ? or bearings ?, if you can't tap out from the inside ?
Wasn't f##kin cheap at £550 just does your head in. Plastic welded it shouldn't friggin leak anyway

I would just put a plastic dish under where the leak is coming from and keep an eye on it , could last for years ?

You must be the unluckiest person I have ever come across., All your luck is bad.

I have had three new washers in 30 years. First one was a Bendix that was still going after 10 years with one bearing change and then gave it away still working when we got a built in Bosch washer which lasted about 15 years and then gave up the ghost. Replaced with another Bosch, so I think we have been really lucky with washers tbh.
The only appliance I have had breakdown was a tv I bought years ago from the Asda and it was just out of the 12 month warranty but they gave me a full refund because I mentioned the consumer act and that a tv should last a reasonable amount of time. Which I thought was a great result.

You must be the unluckiest person I have ever come across., All your luck is bad.
It's not so much luck it's sh1t made goods. Everything's built not to last so you have to replace. I've got tools etc made in the 60's 70's still going strong.
Prime example pound shop tools

I have had three new washers in 30 years. First one was a Bendix that was still going after 10 years with one bearing change and then gave it away still working when we got a built in Bosch washer which lasted about 15 years and then gave up the ghost. Replaced with another Bosch, so I think we have been really lucky with washers tbh.
The only appliance I have had breakdown was a tv I bought years ago from the Asda and it was just out of the 12 month warranty but they gave me a full refund because I mentioned the consumer act and that a tv should last a reasonable amount of time. Which I thought was a great result.
I had a Hotpoint bought in the late 70's 80's that worked flawlessly for 12-15years. I only replaced cause er kids and needing a bigger one with a dryer.
Since then I've tried 3, LG, Samsung now this all have failed.
Today's goods are junk

Going back a good bit as a Car Mechanic loved the good days when we ripped cars apart rebuild engines etc job satisfaction

but hey all got wise to it so lets move on now its plug it into a computer analize it & say this part may be faulty no guarantee but will cost you x amount of £s

I said to the Hotpoint service guy, can you imagine building a car engine then were the head gaskets is you weld it in situe.
If it blew new engine, not so much sh1t made more I'df a case of a bad design simply to make you buy again and again.
iPhones are the classic of all time

Last edited:
let it go fella

🤣

welcome to the real world as it is these days

Last edited:
I said to the Hotpoint service guy, can you imagine building a car engine then were the head gaskets is you weld it in situe.
If it blew new engine, not so much sh1t made more I'df a case of a bad design simply to make you buy again and again.
iPhones are the classic of all time

My wife I have had quite a few iPhones and none have had any issues tbh. I must have been lucky though.

My wife I have had quite a few iPhones and none have had any issues tbh. I must have been lucky though.
Well your lucky but iPhones are aimed at young mobile out and about people on the move unlike us old fogies who are unlikely to drop or have them in the one hand 24/7.

The latest ones are made with glastic backs and epoxy them in designed to break on drop and difficult to fix so not only the screen will go the back will as well.
Screens are now locked to phones so you can't replace without a gizmo to transfer data.

Apple were also fined for slowing their phones down with FW updates basically doing everything at design level to make you buy every year.

That's my issue, the design of the item by these companies ensuring they fail or force you to replace at a huge cost. These companies don't want every item to fail or no would buy,

it's done cute

Well your lucky but iPhones are aimed at young mobile out and about people on the move unlike us old fogies who are unlikely to drop or have them in the one hand 24/7.

The latest ones are made with glastic backs and epoxy them in designed to break on drop and difficult to fix so not only the screen will go the back will as well.
Screens are now locked to phones so you can't replace without a gizmo to transfer data.

Apple were also fined for slowing their phones down with FW updates basically doing everything at design level to make you buy every year.

That's my issue, the design of the item by these companies ensuring they fail or force you to replace at a huge cost. These companies don't want every item to fail or no would buy,

it's done cute

I always buy a decent case and have a screen protector on my phone and I’ve never broke one yet and I do drop them.
Just pure luck a guess.

I always buy a decent case and have a screen protector on my phone and I’ve never broke one yet and I do drop them.
Just pure luck a guess.
Most of my iphones and android been bounced all over the place, tbh not sure how some have survived, like you always in a case with screen protector.

I'm not getting sidelined into a debate about breaking a phone screen my view is simply this, iPhones are grade1 vvankly made I've f##ked around with enough to say that with confidence designed to screw up and keep you forking out.

Stuff today is poorly designed, built not to last. Manufacturers don't want their gear to last any longer than the average 1-2year warranty or if they do? you pay for their extra warranty.

My view is iPhones are very good phones from my user experience.
Would I buy a Hotpoint washer🤔No tbh.
I bought a Fisher & Paykel fridge freezer in 2004 £800 not one problem with it but just lucky I guess.
I gave it away this year to my daughters friend for her garden bar and it is still working.
I’ve noticed that quality brands seem to last longer than the cheaper ones but that’s just my opinion or either I am really lucky with my purchases.

Back