Combi boiler repair problems

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a bad leak on my combi boiler (upstairs cubbyhole) and my boiler cover voided because we turned the gas and electric off first and took front off to remove the access water in the boiler.
We left the front off to air it with both gas and electric to it off.

The reason it wasnt spotted was theres towelsat the back in the cupboard which acted like a giant sponge.

A friend called and said by the looks of it it's been leaking a while and theres alot of water and rust hence the reason the company used a cop out not to repair.

So now I'm waiting on a gas engineer to take a look and see if the leak and rust has caused non repairable damage. Apparently the cause is a rotten condenser hose.

If its repairable fine but we might be looking for new. My questions are:
Are there any deals knocking about on combi's fitted possibly with cover ?.
I'm hoping it's not the case but we've been without hot water and heating for 5 days so I better get my finger out and this jacket and bob hat off !!.

My neighbour has just got an ideal boiler and he got a 10 year guarantee with it. You will also get a further two years guarantee on top if you have it installed by an accredited installer.

I've got a gas engineer giving it the once over now,hopefully they can repair rather than condom due to the rust as j know it can be quite corrosive

The gas engineer a good friend of a m8 has just been. He said the other guys seen the rust and thought "F"ck to this". He said, If you had of put the cover back on he would have used the rust as an excuse, these boiler insurance firms have cop out clauses they use all the time so as not to repair.

That's me done with gas cover it's not worth a flying w"nk. My m8s m8 repaired the condenser pipe, checked it out all fine all for £60 so I'm made up. A new boiler just after Christmas is all I needed

That's me done with gas cover it's not worth a flying w"nk.

Too true. I gave up on boiler/CH cover over twenty years ago. Any servicing or repairs since then have been done by local independent heating engineers and It’s saved me a fortune compared with paying for cover.

You know what I feel like doing but I'll get no were bar winding up even more.

I've just had a call from the company as they had a missed call from me last week and they were chasing it up.

The engineer in his report had actually condemned the combi boiler hence the gas was disconnected at both the boiler and at the mains. Even the gas fitter who fixed it said that is OTT to the hilt considering you only have no other gas appliances.

I forgot to mention as well, when I was on the phone arguing about it last Friday and they actually asked me had I thought of a new boiler from them and one of their boiler + cover plans.

So this got me thinking, how many other people have they told people their boilers are f--ked and condemned.
Robbing f""kin b#st@rds never again never

Last edited:
My boiler packed up last week. Same issue blocked condensate trap. Second time in two years. Got it fixed no problem but it’s poor servicing that causes this. They should be cleaning the exchanger and condensate tray at service. I have cover through an insurance type company. It’s comprehensive and boiler gets fixed no call out charge etc. It also includes annual service. The guy that fixed it said services for these type plans are no more than a gas safe check. I am going to replace my boiler with a baxi. It comes in at under a grand and the gas safe guy said he would fit it for £300. Including doing a chemical flush. It also comes with a magnaclense filter. It has 10 years warranty subject to yearly service. Gas safe guy says he does a proper service for £60. I pay £24 a month for the insurance plan. Replacing the boiler cancelling the insurance plan and paying 60 for annual service will save me Over £600 over the 10 year warranty period.

Just to add the boiler is 11 years old. It it’s the worst n boiler ever made by ideal. The isar model cheap and badly designed. They get absolutely slated in the trade. Hence the reason I’m changing it. ;)

...I pay £24 a month for the insurance plan. Replacing the boiler cancelling the insurance plan and paying 60 for annual service will save me Over £600 over the 10 year warranty period.
I read somewhere that most boiler warranties/breakdown covers may insist on annual gas and/or electrical safety check. Check the t&c as you will have to factor this and other things

How much is a gas safety check nowadays or even an electrical safety check?

Anyone renting is okay as landlord is responsible for things like that but most homeowners wouldn't bother (I know we don't) getting either an annual gas/electrical safety check done.

Firstly @IANB, I would go through that warranty with a fine toothcombe m8. Look at what parts are actually covered similar to a car warranty.

So if a part breaks down that isn't covered in the warranty and it damages parts in the boiler that are covered they are in their right not to fix it.
I had the same with an expensive cooker, I registered the warranty a 5 year one but getting it fixed was another tail as they blamed it on everything bar the cooker.
It took that long I bought a £99 job till I eventually got it sorted, 7 months later.
It's a f,,kin swizz all this cover, the only way these companies can remain viable is to fill the agreement with so many clauses that they can turn down as many as possible.
I got turned down for leaving the boiler front off to let it dry with the mains gas off and fuse spare out. So me trying to save my hall ceiling getting stained and my boiler shorting cost me my policy cover.
If that ain't a way of wrangling out a repair I don't know what is

the way i see it is you opened the boiler . turning the power and gas off had nothing to do with it but the fact it was open when the guy turned up
was what got your warranty void its the same with any item you buy if you open it the warranty is gone.
i wouldn't honor a warranty on something i supplied if a customer had tampered with it.

You know what I feel like doing but I'll get no were bar winding up even more.

I've just had a call from the company as they had a missed call from me last week and they were chasing it up.

The engineer in his report had actually condemned the combi boiler hence the gas was disconnected at both the boiler and at the mains. Even the gas fitter who fixed it said that is OTT to the hilt considering you only have no other gas appliances.

I forgot to mention as well, when I was on the phone arguing about it last Friday and they actually asked me had I thought of a new boiler from them and one of their boiler + cover plans.

So this got me thinking, how many other people have they told people their boilers are f--ked and condemned.
Robbing f""kin b#st@rds never again never
Fitters get a bonus which is what goes on

the way i see it is you opened the boiler . turning the power and gas off had nothing to do with it but the fact it was open when the guy turned up
was what got your warranty void its the same with any item you buy if you open it the warranty is gone.
i wouldn't honor a warranty on something i supplied if a customer had tampered with it.
All my arse that m8 load of tripe, the boilers been opened about 10-12 times over the years with others servicing and repairing. The last time I looked I couldn't see a hologram sticker over the boiler cover.

The gas and electric was off it was off to dry it out I thought I was doing a favor getting it dry.

Dont give a flyer under the circumstances ...
It was a condenser hose that had leaked. So that's enough to condemn a boiler ??. Money grabbing w@nkers. Like I said, the lazy tvvat couldn't be ar#ed so thought make a buck here new boiler.
Anyway I've decided to make a complaint against the engineer on fraud. I'm in no doubt he's done it on a few non suspecting older customers and more than once.
As for honor ? How's about honest first

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to tamper with gas equipment the way you did. I think the engineer was in his rights to walk away and condem. What would happen if your actions caused a monoxide leak killing someone. That’s why you are supposed to be gas safe accredited to work on boilers.

All my arse that m8 load of tripe, the boilers been opened about 10-12 times over the years with others servicing and repairing. The last time I looked I couldn't see a hologram sticker over the boiler cover.

The gas and electric was off it was off to dry it out I thought I was doing a favor getting it dry.

Dont give a flyer under the circumstances ...
It was a condenser hose that had leaked. So that's enough to condemn a boiler ??. Money grabbing w@nkers. Like I said, the lazy tvvat couldn't be ar#ed so thought make a buck here new boiler.
Anyway I've decided to make a complaint against the engineer on fraud. I'm in no doubt he's done it on a few non suspecting older customers and more than once.
As for honor ? How's about honest first

my point was it was open when he turned up to repair it and i for one wouldn't expect any company to repair an item that a customer had opened
as for the engineer being fraudulent he was within his rights to walk away as you broke the terms of warranty by opening it
you could have drained the system without opening the boiler and nothing he could have done.
and its not the opening it thats the problem its that you left the cover off.

Tamper pmsl, a couple of jobsworth comments taken with a pinch of salt.
If your after a reaction wrong thread :)

I think I've now voided my home cover electrical cover as well,

I turned the kettle off at the wall and opened the lid to fill!! :)

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to tamper with gas equipment the way you did. I think the engineer was in his rights to walk away and condem. What would happen if your actions caused a monoxide leak killing someone. That’s why you are supposed to be gas safe accredited to work on boilers.
Lol this threads getting funny,
How can it leak when its turned off at the mains ? Yes the meter, the large on/off lever you know to stop gas that you push to off when you smell gas ?, the same like the stop cock for your water ? And trip switch fuse box you turn off when a electrical fault.
Or is there a secret gas pipe that travels in a hidden cavern to my boiler and keeps feeding it regardless ? :)
As for working on a boiler, were did I say I worked on it ?, grow a sack m8,
Anyway the boilers fixed, cost £60 gas fitter said they was a dick who couldn't be arsed so I'm not arsed. I know 1 thing, the cover ain't worth the paper it's written on. To right off a boiler off for a condenser hose speaks volumes of a company hell bent on selling me a new boiler,

Last edited:
I never buy cover for owt, but I have friends in different trades which is a blessing. My last boiler was fitted about five years ago and it was done in half a day and my mate charged me £150 bargain.

Now my neighbor had a boiler fitted last year and has some ridiculous quotes. I worked out on couple of his quotes that the engineer was charging over £700 just for the fitting. His boiler was in the same position as mine and was a straight boiler swap.

I told him to buy his own boiler and a mate of mine charged him £300 fare price. I definitely think there is a lot of people in different trades out there to rip people off but I’m not saying they’re all the same.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking the cover off the boiler to have a look inside but I definitely wouldn’t leave the cover off if I was having an engineer out to have a look at it.

You know what you did with the boiler. The engineer that seen it with the cover off didn’t so he will assume it’s been messed with and walked away. He could have I suppose quote you for a full safety check and service and re commissioned the boiler. And is let’s keep it friendly. We are all friends here ;)

Back