Halogen light stuck

Clinkers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi. After the great sucess I had with my heating, now I'm tasked to fix the lights in the kitchen!

We have those little halogen spotlights, but I managed to get one fixed, the other i took out the dud, but the new one wont light. I don't think I seated it correctly, it's one of the ones with the two little nipple/bayonet fixtures.

Any good hints for taking the thing out without it breaking and cutting the hand off me? It's well stuck in, but I cant shift it no matter how much I try to twist it. All my fault, I know!

Cheers.

Hi. After the great sucess I had with my heating, now I'm tasked to fix the lights in the kitchen!

We have those little halogen spotlights, but I managed to get one fixed, the other i took out the dud, but the new one wont light. I don't think I seated it correctly, it's one of the ones with the two little nipple/bayonet fixtures.

Any good hints for taking the thing out without it breaking and cutting the hand off me? It's well stuck in, but I cant shift it no matter how much I try to twist it. All my fault, I know!

Cheers.
when i changed the lights in the kitchen .the 1ns i bought had a little black suction thing.
it just goes over the bulb and makes a vacume to stick to the bulb.just makes it easy to turn the bulb... try somehink like it ..

do you know the stuff the grab mats are made of ,dont suppose you have anything like that for xtra grip,or marigolds for washing up as most dont know what they are for lol:proud:

it depends wehter they are 240v halogens or 12v.

12v lamps can just be prised out carefully with 2 small flat screddrivers.
but 240v need twisted before being took out....

12v halogens have straight pins which you can just pull out
LAXM58G.JPG

240v halogens have a diffrent connector which is twisted in, like a bayonet connection on a standerd bulb.

halogen_gu10.JPG

as far as i know you are always meant to wear gloves touching these bulbs, as the oil from your fingers causes them to blow

as far as i know you are always meant to wear gloves touching these bulbs, as the oil from your fingers causes them to blow

your ok with those types, it's only the centre part you are not supposed to touch, touching the reflector is fine.

these type are a diffrent story.

K1_120ES.jpg

you have to wear gloves with those or they can blow where your fingers have touched them..... (sometimes make a hell of a bang)

i had a gu10 bulb stuck in my hall and had to basiclly tak it part with a small pair of long nose grips took about 10 mins to get it out

it depends wehter they are 240v halogens or 12v.

12v lamps can just be prised out carefully with 2 small flat screddrivers.
but 240v need twisted before being took out....

240v halogens have a diffrent connector which is twisted in, like a bayonet connection on a standerd bulb.

halogen_gu10.JPG

Yeah, 240v. Fecking thing is stuck really tight: I'll try to get me hands on a pair of marigolds (flowers, are they?)..:banana:

right,
what u need to do is push up and twist anticlockwise....

would have to be that one m8, there the worst to get out..

if you can get another one out you will see what you have to do:proud:

ye i had to basiclly take it apart peice by peice
and mind wear eye protection

hi clinkers, had same prob but got a "rubber suckion" device, only about 1 inch wide from local hardware shop with a small handle, you push the sucker onto the bulb which locks air in between the sucker and the bulb, this should allow you to twist and pull the halogen bulb out, dont you just love DIY.....................................cheers

Thanks for all the replys, folks, down to B+Q for a suction cup I reckon. Whats really annoying is that I got the old dud one out, this is a new one that I havent seated properly! Grrrr...

stoopid question m8,
but you havn't forced the wrong type lamp in have you?

stoopid question m8,
but you havn't forced the wrong type lamp in have you?

Lol! Nah, m8, but that was the first question the missus asked me! Did one and its fine, the other one is stuck (kind of arkward to get to, reckon thas how i mucked up)

Back