Any plumbers here

a1gunner

DW Member +
Reaction score
Been having problems with my gas heating the thing is when I put my heating on the rads upstairs heat up quickly enough but the ones downstairs take about hour and half plumber told me it was a pump problem so he fitted new pump but nothing has changed after turning the heating on 3 times yesterday the rads eventually heated the boiler is vaillent pro 28 the house has 7 double rads 5 singles any one shed any light on the problem or is my boiler just not big enough 🥺

I'm not a plumber or a heating engineer
Could be balancng, or motor speed needs adjusting or both.
Personally would get him back to assess the situation. If he told you it was a pump issue then it should now be ok and he should if checked it all heated up ok before leaving.

Spec says
The number of radiators installed in your home also plays a vital role in which boiler is suitable. The ecoTec Pro 28’s flow rate is at 11.1l/m, which will be suitable for up to 12 radiators.

My first port of call would be balancing, as manic01 says. Close down the the rads upstairs first, or open the downstairs more.
Yes, the pump speed might need to be altered, but only if the boiler is cutting out at max temp.
Water when pumped will always take the easiest way to get back to the boiler so the radiator valves need closing down or opening to ensure that the flow to each rad is almost identical.
So if it's hot close it down, or not as hot open the valve up. If you have thermostatic valves fitted set them all to max and balance using the valve on the other side.
Oh and I'm not a plumber, just old.

If they are old TRV's then the system works by wax and not liquid. Take top off TRV's and check for dust and dirt which may affect the wax sensor & valve.

Simply turn the TRV to its highest setting to fully open the valve. Then, remove the top off the TRV and loosen the large thumbwheel above the radiator tail. A small metal pin will be visible that moves up and down. This sometimes becomes stiff, preventing the valve opening and closing. With just a spray of some WD40 and some movement, it should become loosened. Alternatively, the liquid or wax cartridge might have failed, meaning you should buy a new valve head to fix this. Stiff valves that won’t budge can’t be fixed, so your heating system will need draining and the TRV replacing.

The radiators in question are 3 big ones in my main living room heating was on for 1 hour 15min they were Luke warm he is coming back this week to balance the system hopefully will sort problem thanks for replies guys

Back