got power going to the board but no graphics??

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
had a phone call off a mate to have a look at his computer had a look and his power pack packed up. fitted a new one but getting power going to the board (fans spinning up) but not getting no graphics. also getting no beeps off the board when its turned on? tried a new graphics card but still no luck? any pointers guys?

fireblade.

Clear cmos first and maybe default settings in bios, did have the same problem with a old dell pc and motherboard died too.

remove all cards and memory and any roms connected
and should get error beeps
if so then there is a problem somewhere else and the board and cpu are fine
if no beeps i would say either the board or cpu is dead
good chance its the cpu tho

remove all cards and memory and any roms connected
and should get error beeps
if so then there is a problem somewhere else and the board and cpu are fine
if no beeps i would say either the board or cpu is dead
good chance its the cpu tho

tried that mate took out every thing and just left in the graphics card but still no luck. it has got on broad graphics on the board could that have gone?
not sure if its the cpu it was working fine when the other power pack was working but not its nothing?

fireblade.

take the graphics out mate
should still get error beeps without the graphics card and as said clear bios
via jumpers

no should be a little pin that you jump togeather and reset motherboard.

Got motherboard make and model??

Is the replacement PSU a known good one? i.e. does it work with a different PC.

If Ja5's suggestion of clearing the CMOS via jumper or removing battery doesn't work, go with turner brown's suggestion of removing everything from the motherboard apart from the piezo buzzer (you'll only get beep codes if one connected). Also disconnect the PSU from everything but the motherboard (I had a PSU that would blow the fuse in the kettle lead any time a floppy drive was connected).

Press the power button, you should get the CPU error beep code...

i know this might be a silly question but does the board have a 4 pin
power connector near the cpu and did you reconnect this on new power supply

seen this problem a few times you can take everything out clear cmos take batt out and they still won't beep just spin the fans sometimes you get them where they start up sometimes even load windows up then bsod.They all boil down to the same problem the motherboard is f%*$ed and the chipset,caps or voltage are to blame so don't put any working gear on that board,take out the cpu ,mem and everthing else and test them on a working setup if they all work then it is 100% sure its the board and you are lucky the board did not take anything with it.

Last edited:
you say you have power to the board,check that the mobo power light is not pulsing,many peeps just see green light and assume they have correct power to board,if its pulsing,Psu is faulty,Ps pulse may be very slight,but still noticable,worth a check

Is the replacement PSU a known good one? i.e. does it work with a different PC.

If Ja5's suggestion of clearing the CMOS via jumper or removing battery doesn't work, go with turner brown's suggestion of removing everything from the motherboard apart from the piezo buzzer (you'll only get beep codes if one connected). Also disconnect the PSU from everything but the motherboard (I had a PSU that would blow the fuse in the kettle lead any time a floppy drive was connected).

Press the power button, you should get the CPU error beep code...

tried that mate, still no joy?

fireblade.

you say you have power to the board,check that the mobo power light is not pulsing,many peeps just see green light and assume they have correct power to board,if its pulsing,Psu is faulty,Ps pulse may be very slight,but still noticable,worth a check

sorry mate dont have a light on the board.

fireblade.

Back