Last nights performance, England

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
After the get me out of jail goal against Croatia I didn't think it could get any worse performance wise but it did.

Southgates loyalty to players not playing well will put a stop to us progressing in this tournament. I can't think of any other country we're the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Bellingham would be left out the starting 11.

Kane:
He is clearly not fit and his heads elsewhere. 6 touches in the opposition goal mouth in 2 games and 1 shot on target are stats that say we need change up front. His laboured runs look like he had a nail in his boot. For me he's had it all too early and long seasons plus a spate of injuries have taken its toll. Utter dog sh#t right now and needs to be dropped.

Sterling:
He can't get regular football for his club side City but by magic he's first on the team sheet. He stunk the place out against Croatia but managed to bag a sitter to save his overcooked bacon.
Hd couldn't go past me eating a kebab in 1 hand, can in the other. Another clearly out of form but Southgate remains loyal to him in the hope he will turn form round overnight which never happens. 1 goal in 4 tournaments and he still gets picked beggar's belief

Philips & Rice:
2 pea's in a pod, the pairing clearly does not work both sitting deep passing sideways then back then sideways with no threat or feed to Kane. "Yorkshire Pirlo" he might be for Leeds maybe but certainly not for England. Both Rice and Philips? 1 or the other but never the pair. I would have Bellingham in the driving forward. A player who also knows how to battle it out when needed.

Foden:
The new Paul Scholes, what I mean by that is, he is been shoehorned into an England side and told to hug the touchline is an utter waste of talent. The odd few times he was told to wander inside England looked threatening. First to be subbed clearly showed Southgates unwillingness to take the game by its short and curlies by removing Sterling or a midfielder and bring him inside. As a nation we are the best and "not" giving new talent a chance in tournament while Scotland put in a 20 year old Gilmour in for his debut not only in a tournament but against arch enemies.

Shaw:
Walking forward ?? wtf is that about?. Not once did he inject any kind of pace into attack or overlap he simply walked forward like he was saving himself for the final. Looks like he's had a few too manyMcdonald meal deals. He wants keep off the app deals.

Reece James:
Super super talented lad who can play anywhere but again negative going forward as though he was instructed by Southgate not to go in the deep end just tread your toe in and what few deliveries he did were poor.
Was this the lads fault, clearly not. Been told defend first doesn't help.

There's now a possibility England could finish 3rd in probably the easiest of all the group's.
I've said it all along, Southgate is a loyalty manager he doesn't like to tread on toes. When Henderson took that penalty he wasn't reprimanded Southgate said while laughing "I'll have a word with Hendo" talking as though he's his best m8. He will always prefers experience over youth and talent. We will never see the most naturally talented players starting he's not a chancer.

Unless there's whole sale changes Kane, Sterling, Rice or Philips then its a car crash waiting to happen and I cannot see us progressing past the first knock out stage.
Southgates walking a managerial tightrope and after watching the last 2 games he's dropped his pole.

The changes for the last group game will be "Loyalty" changes
Henderson for Rice or Philips
Maguire for Mings.
As for the super young talented players itching to burst onto the scene?, sorry, not experienced enough. They need to go back to their respective clubs and and play at the highest club level on the planet and win a few more Champions League and Prem medals then when their 29 come back then.

Last edited:
After the get me out of jail goal against Croatia I didn't think it could get any worse performance wise but it did.

Southgates loyalty to players not playing well will put a stop to us progressing in this tournament. I can't think of any other country we're the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Bellingham would be left out the starting 11.

Kane:
He is clearly not fit and his heads elsewhere. 6 touches in the opposition goal mouth in 2 games and 1 shot on target are stats that say we need change up front. His laboured runs look like he had a nail in his boot. For me he's had it all too early and long seasons plus a spate of injuries have taken its toll. Utter dog sh#t right now and needs to be dropped.

Sterling:
He can't get regular football for his club side City but by magic he's first on the team sheet. He stunk the place out against Croatia but managed to bag a sitter to save his overcooked bacon.
Hd couldn't go past me eating a kebab in 1 hand, can in the other. Another clearly out of form but Southgate remains loyal to him in the hope he will turn form round overnight which never happens. 1 goal in 4 tournaments and he still gets picked beggar's belief

Philips & Rice:
2 pea's in a pod, the pairing clearly does not work both sitting deep passing sideways then back then sideways with no threat or feed to Kane. "Yorkshire Pirlo" he might be for Leeds maybe but certainly not for England. Both Rice and Philips? 1 or the other but never the pair. I would have Bellingham in the driving forward. A player who also knows how to battle it out when needed.

Foden:
The new Paul Scholes, what I mean by that is, he is been shoehorned into an England side and told to hug the touchline is an utter waste of talent. The odd few times he was told to wander inside England looked threatening. First to be subbed clearly showed Southgates unwillingness to take the game by its short and curlies by removing Sterling or a midfielder and bring him inside. As a nation we are the best and "not" giving new talent a chance in tournament while Scotland put in a 20 year old Gilmour in for his debut not only in a tournament but against arch enemies.

Shaw:
Walking forward ?? wtf is that about?. Not once did he inject any kind of pace into attack or overlap he simply walked forward like he was saving himself for the final. Looks like he's had a few too manyMcdonald meal deals. He wants keep off the app deals.

Reece James:
Super super talented lad who can play anywhere but again negative going forward as though he was instructed by Southgate not to go in the deep end just tread your toe in and what few deliveries he did were poor.
Was this the lads fault, clearly not. Been told defend first doesn't help.

There's now a possibility England could finish 3rd in probably the easiest of all the group's.
I've said it all along, Southgate is a loyalty manager he doesn't like to tread on toes. When Henderson took that penalty he wasn't reprimanded Southgate said while laughing "I'll have a word with Hendo" talking as though he's his best m8. He will always prefers experience over youth and talent. We will never see the most naturally talented players starting he's not a chancer.

Unless there's whole sale changes Kane, Sterling, Rice or Philips then its a car crash waiting to happen and I cannot see us progressing past the first knock out stage.
Southgates walking a managerial tightrope and after watching the last 2 games he's dropped his pole.

The changes for the last group game will be "Loyalty" changes
Henderson for Rice or Philips
Maguire for Mings.
As for the super young talented players itching to burst onto the scene?, sorry, not experienced enough. They need to go back to their respective clubs and and play at the highest club level on the planet and win a few more Champions League and Prem medals then when their 29 come back then.
Bit biased here but Phillips passing sideways your just generalising what you have read. Look again he played some excellent forwards balls yesterday. Also take a look at his pass completion over the last 2 games.

Def not m8, I'm saying it as I watched it he was negative. Most player stat reports agree with what I watched:

Kalvin Phillips: 5 – Too negative in possession, which is unlike him. Couldn’t build on his display v. Croatia.
Pass completion means jack sh#t if its going to Mings Stones and Rice

I'm not here slating head hunting Philips out, it clearly showed last night that Rice & Philips does not work, both were negative as you get.
2 pea's out the same pod

Last edited:
As a Scot, I was pleased enough with the draw, but I've got to admit that Engurland were pretty shit. We even had a couple of chances to steal a win.

You certainly have the talent to win competitions, but you need to find a manager that's willing to get his thumb out of his arse.

Think you have summed it up perfectly @silverdale was far to negative.

Loyalty over form was evident from the squad announcement with Maquire and Henderson handed place. Thought Phillips looked good against Croatia but poor as yesterday and agree with everything sideways.

Why he took Foden off to put Grealish on was beyond baffling as Foden was far livelier than most And could have took a number of others off first.

We have to remember we were playing Scotland the 44th ranked team on FIFA rankings and the 3rd worst team in the competition and made them look good. Any of the top nations will tear us apart based on that showing. Probably with Southgate being offered a 4 year contract extension as our reward.

Are we surprised that we played sh*t because I aren't.
When we have the tactical genius that is Gareth Southgate in charge.
Like Silverdale said he chooses loyalty over form
Phil Foden, is one of a few players that are in form, but instead of doing what Pep has done at Man City, and playing him on the left, whilst leaving Stirling out, Gareth leaves Stirling in and shoehorns Foden in on the right that stops Sancho from getting on the pitch.
Our most creative players are
Foden
Sancho
Grealish
and Saka
Apart from Foden the others have hardly had a sniff
And why we have 10 defenders in the team is beyond me
Maguire should have been left out and one of Shaw or Chilwell and after yesterdays debacle I would have left Shaw behind.
Freeing up two spaces for attacking midfielders , and I would have taken Lingard who finished the season in form and probably Dele Alli
I dont know why Smith Rowe was not included as well

I read on another forum a description of Southgate that pretty much nails it.

He's a good Championship level manager, a safe pair of hands. Given a good set of players, he'll do a competent job, but he lacks the nous to take it to the next level.

Have to agree, Southgate got the job on default, tactically totally utterly useless.
His loyalty to "Harry" and "Hendo" will be his undoing. Kane is clearly bang out of form and to persist in friendlies is fine but in tournament football you have to be playing your best football.

2 games in and there's no signs of his form improving. I've always said about English players in the Prem. Are they world class or is it the foreign players that surround them that name them look better than they actually are?.
Foden and Bellingham are freaks that come along every blue moon. They need to be given a chance like Micheal Owen was and let's see what happens.
These young lads hold no fear

You know what, it might be a blessing in disguise for England because we might be forced to make changes starting with Kane. We'd do better with Kane the wrestler doing a bit of TLC off the crossbar !!. Get sterling out and a midfielder we might see a different England.

Gilmour will be huge loss for Scotland but I suppose it was going to eventually happen. I'm surprised most teams have got this far with it taking over squads.

I read on another forum a description of Southgate that pretty much nails it.

He's a good Championship level manager, a safe pair of hands. Given a good set of players, he'll do a competent job, but he lacks the nous to take it to the next level.
Spot on, there has to be that next step up in management, that's what makes great managers decisive player choices and subs at exactly the right time, that maverick type all out manager who can think outside the box on the fly.

Even when things are going wrong Southgate prefers his experience players over young hungry fearless young players, it's as if he's scared to tread toes and dissapoint them.

It's tournament football for Christ sake !!, short, fast with a handful of games packed into a few weeks. You don't have a season to stick with out of form players in the hope they find their form, you have to be brave and do it there and then as I said, on the fly, Southgate has no bollocks to do that.

One example, Sterling has scored 1 goal in 4 tournaments plus he's currently out of favor with Guardiola but Southgate will carry on till ? were as Guardiola said , your dropped

You think you moaning face feckers are hard done by? Gilmour tests positive for Covid-19

You couldn't make this shit up, you really couldn't, and it looks like a lot more team mates may have to
self isolate, you don't need to worry about Mason Mount though, he never got anywhere near the wee man. :mad:
The Covid thing and isolation is a p#sstake. Gilmour travelled on a bus, gefs changed in a training ground changing room, meals match day, room, hotel, you name it and they isolate Chilwell and Mount because the got close outdoors?, wtf is that all about.

I thought the rules you and I have tk abide by are, If you were in a room with someone with Covid (close proximity) you are meant to self isolate but footballers don't count.
Again, Covid rules make no f##kin sense

Wife's m8 got a message from the app
You have been in contact.....
She'd been in a pub must isolate 7 days

Last edited:
Def not m8, I'm saying it as I watched it he was negative. Most player stat reports agree with what I watched:

Kalvin Phillips: 5 – Too negative in possession, which is unlike him. Couldn’t build on his display v. Croatia.
Pass completion means jack sh#t if its going to Mings Stones and Rice

I'm not here slating head hunting Philips out, it clearly showed last night that Rice & Philips does not work, both were negative as you get.
2 pea's out the same pod
Just bumping this mate as we have not heard a peep out of you for a while.

Kalvin Phillips was key in England being able to maintain pressure, particularly in the second half. He made the most pressures once again and covered 15.3km according to UFEA.

E5wjDLxXoAQtr7D.jpg

Rice Phillips 100% works.

Everyone gave it 100% in an excellent workman like performance and I'm over the moon as I never thought I'd ever see us in a major Final.
I won't point out who ran the most, who passed the most who made the most tackles most assists.
Philips had a decent game like many others. There wasn't many I thought were outstanding or brilliant but I thought we went to the next level with the introduction of the subs and stepped up the pace but that's the job of subs, influence the game.

Philips?, played well, did he boss the game, outstanding?, no but like many others he had a good game and worked hard along with many others.

Last night was a team performance and had Schmeichel not been on form it could have been 3 or 4-1
My only criticism would be Pickford, at times he had me on pins and could have done better for the goal but I'm not slating anyone or highlighting any one player, it was a very good England team display.
For me we won't get a better chance as I think Italy will suit us better than a passing Spanish side.
Our saving grace is Italy will be without 2 key players, Spinazzola and Chiesa who I think possibly tweaked his hamstring (might be wrong)

Roll on Sunday, !!!!!!!

Sterling has bene the best player in the Eng team all tournament. Head and shoulders above anyone else.

imagine what he could achieve if his finishing and final ball improve. A very good player but could be one of the best in the world if he just improved his finishing and final ball by 5%+

It looks like man city want rid of him from the rumours he is being offered to spurs in part exchange for Kane.

Last edited:
Back