good alternative to vm.

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys im after an alternative service provider for Internet and phone. Im sick to death of vm and there whole attitude towards existing customers. New customers get everything while loyal customers pay through the nose. Im thinking of switching to sky but I dont have a bt line in the house I have the cable but chopped the box off a while back. At this point im not fussed about tv but if it works out the best deal to take tv I will. At the mo im paying too much for tv and internet and prices are due to go up.

check your line speeds first mate .and how far you are from exchange will matter unless you have fiber in the area
bt lines can be limited to low bb speeds . if its just the cost thats the problem and not faults i would recommend staying with vm
as there internets the best . even bt infinity is crap compared to it

Im paying on average 60 per month with vm and thats with bottom tv 60meg bb and talk unlimited 24 I also pay 2 quid for the 0845 numbers.

i pay 37 per month for bt infinity but will be moving to o2 fiber as soon as contract up
if i could get vm in my area i would be taking there service without tv and no call package
if you use the home phone then drop the tv package from them as you wont save to much switching
but if you switch go thro quidco or top cash back as £100 cash back to be had

We pay £41 for medium TV (unwanted) talk weekend (not needed) and 100meg BB. I can't see me changing it any time soon regardless of the customer service or crappy deals. The only reason I stay is no one can offer the speed yet in our area.

@sargie. Does the £60 include calls? As it seems too way much for what you get.

im in the process of leaving vm after 5 years and have booked bt infinity for the 23rd of jan. vermins service were i am as got gradually worse over the last 18 months and they do nothing but fob you off. they charge me £36.50 pm for bb and phone with no tv and their ping never goes below 100ms and it constantly loses connection. im on the bottom pack of 20meg/1meg and its a total disgrace at peak times as it gets worse. it seems to me vm keep adding more customers without expanding their infrastructure... how they are still in business is beyond me,regards mdt

I'm on Bt infinity and must admit I really can't fault it.I had tiscali then talk talk and couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

We pay £41 for medium TV (unwanted) talk weekend (not needed) and 100meg BB. I can't see me changing it any time soon regardless of the customer service or crappy deals. The only reason I stay is no one can offer the speed yet in our area.

@sargie. Does the £60 include calls? As it seems too way much for what you get.

Yeah it inludes calls but we have mobiles for mobile too mobile calls and I pay extra for an 0845 package I dont want the tv but apparently I dont pay for that. My 60 meg bb was a free upgrade. Another thing I hate is the shitty hub.

Im paying on average 60 per month with vm and thats with bottom tv 60meg bb and talk unlimited 24 I also pay 2 quid for the 0845 numbers.

I pay £47 for xl tv, 60meg BB and telephone.

Moving soon so probably dropping the tv and getting a cs :D

I pay £47 for xl tv, 60meg BB and telephone.

Moving soon so probably dropping the tv and getting a cs :D

I'm paying 47 for m tv 60 meg bob and talk unlimited. Think I'm going to drop talk unlimited 24. Also my box is a shitty samsung silver one.

Sent from my iPad using Telepathy.

I'm paying 47 for m tv 60 meg bob and talk unlimited. Think I'm going to drop talk unlimited 24. Also my box is a shitty samsung silver one.

Sent from my iPad using Telepathy.

ive got a shitty samsung 1 also seem to remembera thread saying existing customers can hassle for a free upgrade on their box
cant seem to find it again
can any1 shed some light on this

also seen a thread elswhere existing customers can ask retentions to upgrade to a tivo have to see it to beleive

ive got a shitty samsung 1 also seem to remembera thread saying existing customers can hassle for a free upgrade on their box
cant seem to find it again
can any1 shed some light on this

also seen a thread elswhere existing customers can ask retentions to upgrade to a tivo have to see it to beleive

So what exactly are you paying? what package? and what are they offering on there website that is different to yours?, if your paying the new customer asking price and haven't got the new box or new extras then you have some ground to stand on. If your already getting a loyalty discount and phone up asking for something else a better deal etc your pushing your luck.

So what exactly are you paying? what package? and what are they offering on there website that is different to yours?, if your paying the new customer asking price and haven't got the new box or new extras then you have some ground to stand on. If your already getting a loyalty discount and phone up asking for something else a better deal etc your pushing your luck.

heres what im getting think im chancing it asking for a free box

Your package
Bundle Charges
Multi Talk 1000 Talk Unlimited TV Size: M XXL 50Mb Broadband Loyalty Customer
Bundle Charges total£26.75
Promotional offer(s)
You'Re Receiving A Loyalty Discount It's For £3. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 30-SEP-14
Promotional offer(s)CR £3.00
Phone line rental
Line Rental
Phone line rental total£13.90
Your package total£37.65

not sure what package im on because i rang the cancelation number and told them i had to leave and they gave me a deal which i think is ok
60mb modem no issuse with it since firmware upgrade
basic HD tv
phone with free weekend calls and free virgin mobile calls only at weekend so be carefull
and i pay £2 0845/0870 numbers
total pacage cost £33.90 which i think is not to bad, i did try just having modem and they wanted £37 just for that on it own, dont ask me why i have no idea.
never make any calls apart from 0845 as wifes mobile gives me free calls 200min a month on o2.

I pay £19 for 02 20Mb and get 1.9MB download speed, Free evening and weekends call package. But also have an o2 mobile contract, so i get the discount.

TV i sort out my own way.....

heres what im getting think im chancing it asking for a free box

Your package
Bundle Charges
Multi Talk 1000 Talk Unlimited TV Size: M XXL 50Mb Broadband Loyalty Customer
Bundle Charges total£26.75
Promotional offer(s)
You'Re Receiving A Loyalty Discount It's For £3. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 30-SEP-14
Promotional offer(s)CR £3.00
Phone line rental
Line Rental
Phone line rental total£13.90
Your package total£37.65

Don't do it it online mate, then you will lose your loyalty.

OK you asked for a shed of light?

There is a lot to say about trying to get what you want from them. What I can say is I'm very Happy right now considering the asking rate. I've lost out big time in the past (Only Once), where they just completely cut me off, another time they threatened to cut me off but we sorted it. This was all because I was trying to get a better deal, last time I Phoned about a better deal, I spent 20-30 minutes going backward and forth with the operator. Some really don't give a **** and pride themselves when a Customer Phones up trying to get there own way,And really you need to understand and know how to talk to them properly, there's two ways you can understand how it's done truly and deeply.

ONE being trial and error and risk being cut off or losing out. Then learning and picking up what works and what doesn't.

Two being Listening to someone talk to them that knows how it's done

There is no 100% Guarantee that it will always work, but some ways are better which give you more a chance off success.

For Example some times you will phone up ranting and raving, and it depends totally on the situation. Don't do this because your a nasty person, or don't not do this because your just too scared to. Do it, because you'll get what you want and get it quicker.

Other times, you Phone up and be very polite, this would be the ideal way but you don't always get what you want this way. This is what you need to, with your situation right now because you don't really have a steady foot to stand on. You would be taking the right piss if you phoned up ranting and raving, when you already have a Loyalty discount, but you do have a case. Your case is, New Customers are getting something better then you and your on the same package. What are they getting better then you? A Tivo Box that has more features, so are you are losing out? Can you watch Movies on demand? Can you record? If not and your Box is outdated... Then your not really getting the package that your paying for are you? Don't let them fob you off about your discount that is besides the point. Don't accept there Bullshit, that sounds something like, we can't give you FOR FREE what New Customers are getting FOR FREE because off your discount.

There asking you to pay, there asking a Loyal customer to pay for something New Customers get for free and they are get the same package. If they say... No, New Customers pay £49 for it. No New Customers pay £49 for setting up and installing everything. Your not asking them to setup or install anything, your asking for a New Box that they can send out, that you can setup yourself!

Without going on and on and into more details. To put things short...Phone up be very polite. BUT FIRM and ask for a New Box. And tell them the reason why you think you deserve a new Box for free. Nothing to lose, they can't cut you off for being inappropriate towards a member of staff! LOL We want go there!

If that doesn't work, try again, with some other operator. That might just say OK...

Last edited:
I pay £19 for 02 20Mb and get 1.9MB download speed, Free evening and weekends call package. But also have an o2 mobile contract, so i get the discount.

TV i sort out my own way.....

I've never been with 02 and have had no dealings, so can't really say nothing about that and I know there are a lot of complaints with certain areas with speed with virmin, but mines been OK. What i can say about the price is for that price, minus a little bit you could be getting 60MB, would take you a Year or two potentially, well by then prices would of gone up, so technically you probably couldn't, but if your Happy who cares.

Back