excellent booster

i am using a hacked ambit 250 on 20meg and my downstream power is:

Downstream Power 18.4 dBmV

i tanke it by reading thomsons post that this is bad how do i fix this?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

you need to put an attenuator on your modem m8, bring it down to between 0-10dB

whats an attenuator mate?

how much are they and where can i get 1 from?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Hmmm I have sort of the same problem but I am a little confused.

I dont get channels like e4 and my main bbc channels are all jittery.

So I have ordered one of the yellow boosters I already have that Tratec thing as I am splitting and have them going off too my modem and tv.

I need to know weather this will fix all my problems?

I see people talking about knobs or swithes on the yellow thing what do I set them two currently my modem is running no where the speed it should please help!!!

Hmmm I have sort of the same problem but I am a little confused.

I dont get channels like e4 and my main bbc channels are all jittery.

So I have ordered one of the yellow boosters I already have that Tratec thing as I am splitting and have them going off too my modem and tv.

I need to know weather this will fix all my problems?

I see people talking about knobs or swithes on the yellow thing what do I set them two currently my modem is running no where the speed it should please help!!!

The Booster, as I understand it will increase your signal level (SNR) needs to be around 92% as far as I understand - well mine are.
There are two Knobs, 1 for Slope Gain and 1 for Gain Control.

As not everybody has the same signal strength via the cable feed the SNR is different. So you use the Gain control knob to adjust this signal level.
Slope control is for the balance between low and high frequency, and as I understand it, you use the Slope control knob to control it. This adjusts the BER level, which you want to as close to 0 as possible

Therefore - Gain - Up Full and Slope - Down full is generally the best place to start and usually the best setting for people

this is my power settings is this good or bad can i have ur advice peeps

Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM64
Channel ID 2 Symbol rate 6952000
Downstream Frequency 5****0000 Hz Downstream Power -4.6 dBmV
SNR 35.1 dB

whats an attenuator mate?

how much are they and where can i get 1 from?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

My understanding is that an attenuator is used to reduce signal strength. But can also be used to get rid of interference (reduce the BER levels).I was told to think of the attenuator and booster as more signal conditioning rather than strength if that makes any sense.

The place to get an attuenator is http://www.beststuff.co.uk/coaxial_accessories.htm, I ordered the variable attenuator, £2.99 including P&P

do u think i need to boost my levels or leave em as they are im on 20mb and gettin it perfectly

do u think i need to boost my levels or leave em as they are im on 20mb and gettin it perfectly

Sorry Mrdigital,

I am only going on the epg readings I know I have on my TV (SNR 92%). 20mb doesnt mean anything to me. If its all good, why change it ?????!!!: multi :

i am using a hacked ambit 250 on 20meg and my downstream power is:

Downstream Power 18.4 dBmV

i tanke it by reading thomsons post that this is bad how do i fix this?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

listen mate, if your modem is working ok and not going offline sometimes etc then its fine mate, just leave it, your levels are pretty extreme though, it wont break the modem or anything, would just make it go offline sometimes, thats all, but if its going ok just leave it.

If you want to try and get the level correct though, what i done was bring up the 192.168.100.1 page, checked the downstream power level, then just kept going back n forward to the booster and adjusting the knobs just a little at a time then come back to the computer and click your "refresh" page button (its up near top of page) and that tells you the new power level each time you tweak the knobs, i done that until i got it down to like "0" (perfect).

hope this helps.

Got mine as said in earlier posts this booster is the dogs serious ive tried loads of other boosters 4 me dreambox but this one actually works!!! ;) top notch! ;)

Last edited:
Yea, I stayed away from the expensive one's and got this http://en.seekbest.com.cn/newEbiz1/...a90a&ProductInfoExhibit_isRefreshParent=false
only cost abot €5 and works brilliantly for TV (don't know about modem). All my channels are now at 95% signal. Shipping was fast (about 2 weeks and cheap about €4? to Ireland.

I ordered it here along with some other goodies http://www.uxcell.com/

Might be interested in one myself.
Which one did you get exactly and has it definitely got adjustable gain?

_http://www.uxcell.com/digital-lineate-semaphore-amplifier-p-4607.html

_http://www.uxcell.com/digital-lineate-semaphore-amplifiersb8620d8-p-5937.html

No adjustable gain - but if you look at the seekbest link above you'll see some models with adjustable gain - don't know if you can order from this site

Hope this helps

Back