electrical help for an old person

It's the same with gas work. Everyone I know was totally horrified that I'd just fitted a new boiler by myself and did all connections including gas myself. Some were screaming that it was illegal and others were telling me stories about how they knew people had been killed because of botch fitting.

The government have made everyone paranoid that if any work that isn't done by a registered person then it's dangerous and will kill you.

What a load of crap. Gas work is easy and if it's done wrong then the installer is a complete fool who wouldn't be safe to light a gas barbie. I do better work than most registered contractors. They tend to rush and cut corners. I don't.

Gas is much more dangerous than electricity any time.

I do occasionally inspect for the fire department though! and see first hand what dodgy electrics can do...

Not disagreeing with you on this mate but want to add another view. If the fire service can not find a root cause for a fire they automatically blame electrics which i think is wrong.

If they cant find the cause they should state that "no cause identified/found" not just blame it on summat they believe it MITE have been. :Fish:

Just my opinion.

Sligtly off topic but I just got a leaflet through the post from these guys offering a free wiring check, found the page online too, here it is

ESEC - Eastern & Southern Electrical Connections, Domestic Electrical Experts

tried to google them but can not really see anything about them. Does anyone know of this outfit.

This is their site

Interesting they do not mention being registered with any of the k electrical bodies, such as NICEIC or IEEE etc. Now that would get me thinking straight away!

Their testimonials page says it all I think, gripping reading of all 3 alleged customers!

As for the wiring check it is only a visual inspection. Though this would be part of the norm without any testing it would not be of any significant meaning.

Email or call them and ask them for confirmation of the membership of any UK electrical bodies, I suspect that they might not be able to supply the info. If they do come back with detail and numbers then contact the body mentioned to check that they are indeed registered memebers.

Sligtly off topic but I just got a leaflet through the post from these guys offering a free wiring check, found the page online too, here it is

tried to google them but can not really see anything about them. Does anyone know of this outfit.

*Note: This is a visual inspection only without the use of test instruments and as such has limitations. It will not for example find hidden faults on circuits, prove earth continuity or disconnection times in the event of a fault. A more detailed test and inspection with instruments is available where required on a chargeable basis. This free service is provided at our sole discretion and may be withdrawn at any time.

Back to your orginal question.....
If you search on your local council website for Grants it should hopefully shed some light on the matter.
I think I have found some relevant info : http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=4426&p=0
But think you will have to phone them to get up to date info. May have more chance of assistance going down the disabled route. Know where I am grant availabilty is being withdrawn.....
Know everyone is running a business but when you can pick a fully loaded fuse box up from somewhere like screwfix for around £70 it seems hard to justify where the other £430 is being spent. Not saying that it is overpriced at £500, just saying to the man on the street (me) it seems like someones making a £430 profit from a job which in most case would only take half a day.
Wizbit77

Having a quick look through this thread, i have not seen anyone mention the fact that if the wiring is 20 years old, the main earthing conductors will not be the correct size...therefore running a new main earth to the gas / water etc will be needed to comply with current 17th edition wiring regulations. This can be a time consuming job, and sometimes it can add a large amount of £££ to the actual cost of the new consumer unit. Replacing the actual consumer unit only takes about 1 hour, but lifting floorboards from the front to the back of the house and running in a new earth takes ages to do.

Back