Dreamup killed dm500s

mastichick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Dont know how I end up with these. Another m8 bought a box round today to get his channels list upto date and I couldnt connect with either dreamboxedit, dcc or browser because someone had changed the password.

So thought let me take a backup via dreamup and get password but as soon as I fired up dreamup and and its waiting for acknowledgement and waiting and waiting and then I saw there was no lights or anything on dm.

I disconnected dreamup and powered box down then switched on again and nothing, no green light nothing just dead.

It had the GP image on, anyone know why this has happened and how to sort it.

Regards

So

Hi

Yeh I did, I got a 800se and no joy. Its weird never know dreamup to cause something like this but in this case its true. Was working fine prior to this as I booted
it a few times with no issues until the point of trying dreamup.

I know from past experiences that the psu can cause weird and various issues but i this case psu is not the factor.

Regards

It sounds like the board is dead I don't think it was anything to do with dreamup just bad luck you plugged it in and it sounds like it blown something on the board. I would take a look inside just to see if theres a blown cap or something.

Agree with above poster, looks like somethinmg on the board has gone pop. It's not a JTAG issue otherwise you should still at least get a power light on the front panel.

Hi

Opened box up to see if anything obvious, no visibly blown caps that you can see. A bit of progress though after getting the multimeter out to check the switch managed to get red light coming on front panel. Come to think about it when red light came on I thought let me see if I can flash it but noticed that red light will not come on with null cable connected only without it.

After I take null cable off and switch on and off a few times it will show red light even had both red and the green on together on one occasion.

Could the serial port have had anything to do with it going funny as before I connected null cable and dreamup it was switching on and off fine.

Cable is fine as I use it for other stuff.

Is this a good sign or is it still a dead box.

Regards

Last edited:
Connect it to your network without the null cable then do a ip search in DCC.

See if it can pick it up and then try to flash it that way.

If your getting power you may be able to get it to flash via network.

Just a thought, no harm trying.

Hi

Thanks for that will try tomorrow if dcc picks ip up but cos someone had changed the password was the reason I was trying dreamup.

Regards

can you link out the switch as it sounds faulty. (could be high resistance across it)

This power circuit may not match your 500 exactly but should be very close.

Attachments

• C[1].pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 23
Connect it to your network without the null cable then do a ip search in DCC.

See if it can pick it up and then try to flash it that way.

If your getting power you may be able to get it to flash via network.

Just a thought, no harm trying.

Hi

Tried dcc but doesnt pick it up.

Regards

Hi

Not had chance to look at the diagram yet, if someone can say wether jtag is an option here or not.

Regards

Had a very careful read all the way down this thread and I suspect I might have the answer (from my old Fire Alarm Panel programming days, via laptop and RS232 null-modem cable connection...)

RS232 is fairly 'juicy- insofar that it is +10vDC and -10vDC power supply. Industry recommendations are that when connecting devices via RS232 comms cable, both devices should be powered OFF at the mains while actually connecting both ends of the cable. How many of us heed this advice, by making connections with 'live' eqipment?

So I think this case is pure bad luck, but could have been much worse (as happened to me!). It's possible that one of the cluster of tiny surface-mount caps banked near the 9 pin RS232 socket on the mobo of the dm500 has popped. Wotz worse than that, I hear you ask? Could just have easily nuked the serial port of your lappie or PC (as happened to me...)

Have a closer look at the mobo with a magnifying glass and illumination and you might well spot the fried sm cap. It's a failry expert soldering job to replace, though, be warned!

Good luck! AL :)

Back