Grenfell tower documentary.

Johnboy666

New Member ++
Reaction score
Just seen advertised that there is a documentary on the Grenfell tower tragedy. To see if the fire brigade failed in their jobs. Like the fire fighters had a cat in hell's chance of containing that inferno. Yet again the people in high places trying to pass the buck. What a bunch of w##kers, It really winds me up. I have a very good friend in the service and he and his colleagues regularly put their lives on the line, and this is the thanks they get. I know it's their jobs but it still takes a special kind of person to run in to a burning building trained or not. How is it their fault that, the council did nothing to prevent this accident waiting to happen. Just curious on other people's thoughts on this matter.

The Grenfell Inquiry will decide that mate, not a documentary. There is little doubt that mistakes were made.
There is one thing for sure that I know, I would never have took their advice to stay indoors.
I have a mate who's took early retirement from the Service and I spent 4 months working on a rewire of my local Fire Station some 20 years ago. A great bunch of lads but in major fires they aren't the decision makers, that comes from the top.

The Grenfell Inquiry will decide that mate, not a documentary. There is little doubt that mistakes were made.
There is one thing for sure that I know, I would never have took their advice to stay indoors.
I have a mate who's took early retirement from the Service and I spent 4 months working on a rewire of my local Fire Station some 20 years ago. A great bunch of lads but in major fires they aren't the decision makers, that comes from the top.
I agree that mistakes were made, as you said, to stay in the flats, but how combustable the material in the cladding was, could not have been known by the fire service. The building itself would have withstood fire in any individual flat. So the reasoning to stay in the flats I believe was justified. Its a terrible situation to have to learn from. I am curious to how they will portray the fire service though.

You will always get finger pointing in situations
as sad as Grenfell but ultimately I feel it was down to the materials used in the construction on the building.

Were I live they have large concrete 15 storey blocks. The concrete panel ones seem to have scaffold around them every few years were they've clad them in insulation then rendered over but water ingress gets in behind the render and insulation and up goes the scaffold. They've spent millions on them and still do.
but
The brick built 15 storey ones close by have never been touched since they were built in the 70's well, bar new windows.

You cannot contain afire that creeps up the side then back in. But at the end of the day I bet you any amount of money council cutbacks and a shortage of money will be to blame

Silverdale, I couldn't agree more. Nail and head spring to mind. Here's another topic, but if the greedy government didn't claim for everything including taking a undeserved, over inflated wages there would most likely be alot more money to throw at buildings like the high rise blocks. But I better not get started on the politicians. 😂

The simple matter of fact is if the more expensive fire retardant cladding had of been used the outcome I think would have been a totally different one. Somewhere along the line someone made that decision whether it be an individual or a collective group not to use it just ot save money as it's been already proved that that was the case. Now you can blame the Politicians but at the end of the day it's the council that determine were they spend their budget.
Now you can argue but they don't get enough money to go round so it's the Politicians that's true but not to spend on possible life saving cladding ? My council has wasted millions upon millions it beggars belief.

Those councillors played a game of chance and took a gamble on a money saving scheme that sadly failed. They should be the one who should be accounted for. They sure know how to splash the cash and waste money on trips abroad and expenses but life saving cladding ?. Most council priorities are mind boggling to say the least. I once lived in a town were in 10 years they rebuilt the local bus station 3 times spending over £40 million in doing so.

Now any builder will tell you, block paving has a weight limit when building a road so what did they do ?, built it not once but twice in block paving and both times it sunk leaving massive holes all over. Then a shopping centre open fronted no doors so you come in off the road. They tiled it in tiles that weren't non slip. I think in the first year they had 2000 claims for falls due to coming in straight out the rain. Infact, the would cordon off the walkway when it rained. Most of the shops closed in the first year as all's in does in the UK is p!ss down !. They were coming from far and wide just to fall.
My point been, they sure know how to waste money that's a fact and I bet others on here can name a few nore council wasting schemes like me.The council and the spending decision makers should be held account for their actions and no one else

Last edited:
Back