dm500s telnet comands

tony49

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok lads i would like to learn how to telnet with the dm500 on the net ive found this to back up

cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img and this

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot ive backed the image up but going bye the wording 1 its going to deleate the image and 2 its got to be in the tmp folder on the dreambox if i want to keep the image on my pc for safe keeping is there another comand i can use or do you just have to copy it to dm/tmp file ta lads thats all cheers tony

ok lads i would like to learn how to telnet with the dm500 on the net ive found this to back up

cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img and this

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot ive backed the image up but going bye the wording 1 its going to deleate the image and 2 its got to be in the tmp folder on the dreambox if i want to keep the image on my pc for safe keeping is there another comand i can use or do you just have to copy it to dm/tmp file ta lads thats all cheers tony

As you already know the first command does a complete backup of your image which gets stored in the /tmp folder on your box,so just ftp into the folder and download it to your pc for safe keeping :)

The second command is for flashing your backup or indeed any suitable image to your box,providing you rename it to "backup.img",

basically the second command works like this:

change into the /tmp directory and then erase everything in /dev/mtd/3 which is where the current image resides,then copy the new image into /dev/mtd/3 and reboot the box to complete the flashing process ;)

To flash using telnet:
Rename the image file to backup.img
FTP the image file to the /tmp folder on the dreambox
Telnet to your box: 192.168.1.2 login with user name and password then paste the following command:
cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To backup using Telnet:
Telnet to box as above then paste the following command:
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp folder
You will find the backup.img file in that folder.

Dreamup will also do the same job EG: Flash/Backup

ok thanks all so you can just rename any type of dm500s image to backup.img put it in the dm/tmp and then telnet dm cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

ok thanks all so you can just rename any type of dm500s image to backup.img put it in the dm /tmp and then telnet dm cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

Yes m8 but I would suggest you do a reboot first just to clear any crap :)

and also just be aware sometimes but not often it just doesnt work and then you have to use dreamup to recover

ok ta so if it goes wrong i should be able to get it back with dreamup ?

ok ta lads just to let you no it didnt like it going from commando back to pli so as you said easy fix to use dreamup but will try it again the othere way sometime

Back