Double lung transplant

tony49

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok lads im vary glad to be back ive missed this site a lot over the last month

ok i will start at the begining mon 6th jan i was only just making it to the loo only 4 yards but a hard 4 yards for me

just finished my tea about 9:00 pm and the phone rang it was my transplant co ordernater we had a good chat i told her how hard things had
got then she hit me with the big one she said tony ive got a doner for you we have had this chat to see how you were mentally im glad to say
she was happy with me so ordered an ambulance to pick me up about 10:20 pm it turned up and we made are way to freemans hospital newcastle got here about
12;:30 am tues thay gave me a good clean and took some bloods and gave me a good shave even lost my 5 a side on my cheast in and out sleep till about
4:30 am then took me down stairs to the pre op room had more bits and pieces put in, so the lady that put me to sleep said we are now just
waiting for one more test to came back we are nearly ready to go covered my cheast with lots of yellow stuff its now about
5:30am and put me under still not had the last blood result (will get to that a bit later )

7:15 am started op

2:20 pm still alive op over but heart took a big beating

9:30 pm tried to wake me said no thanks i need more sleep

wens
10:30 am came around first i thought was i was in heaven then i felt my hand being held looked up and seen a beautiful smile on my daughters face the feeling of
love i felt to me was out of this world i hope she felt like that the first time i held her as a baby
12:00 pm came off the ventilater i had a reaction to some meds and was in and out of it a lot wens night was a right nightmare that is i was a mad man slicing and dicing everything arourd me then all i could hear was like ice
going in to a bucket thinking thats it was my time up going in to cold storage if you no what i mean
one min a had a blanket to keep me warm next i was on ice to coll me down change some meds and i was starting to be more aware

thurs 9/1
sitting up in bed but on dyalaces and a full face mask that pushed 3 in 2 out helped expand the lungs and to start to get rid of some of the posion in me all tho i was
breathing for my self had first little bit of physio getting better all the time

fri stud up for about a minute came out of icu 1 on 1 nursing to 1 on 2 only there about 18 hours

sat moved to high dependency started doing some more walking not far but found it very hard

mon 20/1
came out of high dependecy to a normal ward started to do lots of small walks

fri 31/1
had a six minute walking test with physio i manage the hole six minute without stopping and done 270 meters she said stop i said why my wheelchair was just up the
caradoor so i finished the 300 meters 4:30 friday afternoon i was told me could move to the flats next to the hospilat and thats were we are now

ps back to (will get to that a bit later ) my daughter told me i had failed the last blood test and i was about 20% into a cheast infecsion the doner lungs were good it was just my body they said no way would i be able to come back up as i was to ill they didnt no if i would pull throw tho op but the sergoin said with
no resevre here it was a no lose case and went ahead with the op and for that i am truely thankfull

chears all tony49

me with pipes in.jpg

All the best fella.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You got balls the size of M8. One to go and two to post.

All the Very Best, don't know ya right well but I'd shake yer hand :)

Amazing description: Hope all goes well. Most of us never have to face what you have - respect

Hi tony49

good to hear that all looks like its going well, I wish you all the best for the future

good luck mate.....regards smoggie

Glad to hear you are in the mend tony, must of taken incredible bravery. All the best

Mick

Wow tony that's epic, great to see you back and hope you will be back in your own home soon

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

who says our NHS is no good look after your new lungs m8 and have a happy long life

Well done tony, glad you are getting better what a story. Best of health to you now and in the future.

Amazing @tony49 great news on your front and a pat on the back for the good old NHS.
I hope you have a speedy recuperation and get back to the comfort of your own home and family very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Tony49,certainly a very hard time for you and your family,glad to hear your on the mend,and i wish you and your family all the best through your recovery period,good luck mate.

@tony49.... you have been through a hell of a lot and so glad you're well enough to share your story with us. The very best wishes to you and your family. Looks like it's time to jump back on the 'Good Ship Insanity' that is DigitalWorldz matey!!! :)

Speedy recovery Tony,

snapman :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing with us mate and great to hear from you. Your a brave man hats off to you :)

Back