disability living allowance

It is ridiculous mate but i dont think they get 300 a week maybe a month,ive never heard anyone gettin that ammount,my mothers on it with arthritis and other stuff and she doesnt get anywhere near 300 a week.

I know its not fair but its the truth. They get this money plus they dont have to pay for housing.

see attached sheet.

This is the Way I work it out

IMO Id think he'd be entitled to row 2 without attendance allowance because I'd asume he's not a pensioner given his problem, Agree??

So we dont know what he actually gets but he could get and is entitled to under benefits guidelines to, I aint saying he is entitled or is not, I dont know the guys circumstances

Housing benefit with disability premium (depends where he lives)

(if his award of DLA is above the Lower rate and he receives carers allowance)

Council Tax benefit (Depends where he lives)

Carer's Allowance
Claimant = £46.95

Disability Living Allowance
Care component
Higher = £62.25

Mobility component
Higher = £43.45

Incapacity Benefit
Long term rate = £78.50
+ Age additions for Incapacity Benefit (Long term rate only)
Illness/disability began before age 35 = £16.50

Income support

dont know this either as its based on individual claims and circumstances etc

as you can see it soon adds up, a bit here and a bit there.

Maybe you could back some of this up with facts??

The FACT is that I know people that get it what do you want me to do go round and ask them if I can photocopy their payment slips??? Like a lot of things the facts are not on the internet for people to read or download.

But - the whole argument here is about whether this or that person deserves to receive the benefits they do.

My point is: don't jump to conclusions.

But - the whole argument here is about whether this or that person deserves to receive the benefits they do.

My point is: don't jump to conclusions.

I think that everyone knows that this person dosent deserve to recieve £300 a week for being a recovering drug addict and neither do the alcoholics who get this money, the money is better of spent on people who deserve the money im sure nobody forced the drugs and alcohol down the addicts throats so it is their own fault.

How was I jumping to conclusions?

appeal it if still in time or re apply and dont stop
they normally turn down everyone the 1st or even 10th time

dont read two much in too some you think shouldent get getting

the truth is they probly had a someone who knows how to fill in the form right do it for them.

and are mostly as deserving as you for it. Never apply for dla on your own unless you are 200% shaw of all the rules and know what your doing.

or you wont get f all

I know a lot about as I am a carer for my partner and 3 of my friends are wheel chair bound.

I can tell you now someone with mental health problems coming out of rehab in perfectly intiteled to DLA

the same no doubt as you were.

your absolutly right there apparently there is a clinic we should have gone to to get help to fill the forms in wish we had known that from the start.

My problem is with people making judgements on hearsay and without full knowledge of circumstances.

This often leads to racism, xenophobia, and the demonizing of certain groups within our society.

Who knows what problems this guy has and what it was that led him into drug addiction in the first place.

well said mate... :D

People just say the first thing they can think off just to get a post count..IMO

I say Good luck to him and he was lucky to get in rehab... Not everybody makes it! And dont believe every thing your told first hand..

I think that everyone knows that this person dosent deserve to recieve £300 a week for being a recovering drug addict and neither do the alcoholics who get this money, the money is better of spent on people who deserve the money im sure nobody forced the drugs and alcohol down the addicts throats so it is their own fault.

How was I jumping to conclusions?

How does everyone know?

Do you know this person or anything about their circumstances?

well said mate... :D

People just say the first thing they can think off just to get a post count..IMO

I say Good luck to him and he was lucky to get in rehab... Not everybody makes it! And dont believe every thing your told first hand..

Or maybe this is a subject that is important to a lot of people who feel that its an unfair system that needs addressing where Kids born with disablities are not getting something that they should get while others do. IMO

and yes I do have 1st hand experience of this and i do feel strongly about it. all people who deserve DLA should get it, no exceptions and also carers allowance if they need extra care, no matter the disability, The problem with DLA is you do not have to be disabled to recieve it, therefore it is open to abuse and genuine sufferers suffer because there isnt enough money in the pot

people that have no disability should not get DLA, if they are vunerable and need extra care, then they should only get a care allowance not both.

Shaun, the difference between what you are saying and some of the other posts is that you are not making specific judgements.

I agree with you that these benefits should only be available to those who genuinely need and deserve them.

How does everyone know?

Do you know this person or anything about their circumstances?

Do you? going on what I do know, his friend says he is a recovering drug addict and thats why he is getting the money and im sure he knows his friend better than you do.

Do you? going on what I do know, his friend says he is a recovering drug addict and thats why he is getting the money and im sure he knows his friend better than you do.

No I don't, but I'm not the one making assumptions or jumping to conclusions or judging another human being I don't know.

if hes only get 300 quid hes on the lowest rate anyway.

when you get DLA as others have said

there is the mobility component and thethe care component

both had a high middel and low rate not they have done away with low rate mobility

you can be awarded 1 component or bother in any combination of the rates.

forget housing benefit they would get that anyway if they are signing on down the dole.

but once you get a rate of dla you also get more on you income support.

the goverment never has liked paying out DLA

and it is very hard to get you canot just bullshit and get it.

iT DONT WORK LIKE THAT.
you need medical backup the DLA also will use a doctor to try and counter your doctor

Im telling you If this guy gets it then he is legaly intilteled too under the law

most lergit claims fail because one they get no help and the DLA smile and bin it
as they know most pepole give up and dont fight it.
another reson is because your doctor is shit and cant be bothered too help
a lot just cant be bothered

when it done but a lawcenter or socile worker they know it will be taken all the way so behave better

we had too fight for 5 years too get what we were intiteled to for my wife

then had no problemd for years until they suddenly said my wife was 100% better and stoped everything.

It took over a year againg to get it sorted
once at the appeal my wife was so ill
the tribunal slapped the DLA in to next week
Please do not make asumptions with out knowing the real details on this guy.

theres no way he would have been awared DLA just because of the drugs. there will be other resons you do not know about trust me.

also some illness dont show outwardly and people often assume the worst

we have often had people out of jelosey ring up the DLA and trying too say that we are scaming it. just because she does not fit the the stero type image of a disabled person in a wheel chair.

and has good days but she needs looking after

I would glady give up the dla and a arm and a leg too have the wife I had and love back the way she was before her illness

we are on the highest rates of every thing
but it not that much at the end of the day
I just alows us to have a half decent life for her

and I can afford a car too take her out on the good days.
and the amout they pays in **** all compared too what the cost of 24 hour care would cost the goverment if i was not careing for her.

too some it may look like a nice easy life for us

rent paid not having to work
trust me its not too see what the illness has done and changed the woman I love in a blink of the eye.

One min we were happy and out shoping
a second later the women knew was gone and has never come back.

Last edited:
wow just checked back on this thread and it seems a very emotive subject, the person i refered to in the first place, yes he did get medically checked and in rehab assualted his father and all sorts so yes you can say he is mentally/ emotionally unbalanced - my point was though that nobody forced him to take drugs and then progress to harder drugs, it is self inflicted - unlike someone who is born with or contracts an illness or indeed is injured in a car accident etc. The bloke is a friend of mine who i have known for many years and he has said to me himself "i am better off now than when i was working" i go to visit him and play on his nintendo wii which he had on release day!

To be honest he is using a system set up by the goverment to its full advantage so he is taking what he is medically entitled to but it doesn't make it right!

maybe it is a bit of jealosy but going to work the next day knowing that others dont have to is hard!

NOTE TO MODERATOR - if kirstY140385 was banned due to this thread please reconsider as i beleive everyone should be entitled to an opinion. Obviously i do not know the reason but i wouldn't like to think it is because of a thread i started!

my point was though that nobody forced him to take drugs and then progress to harder drugs, it is self inflicted - unlike someone who is born with or contracts an illness or indeed is injured in a car accident etc.

It's all very well saying it's self inflicted but drug and alcohol addiction is not as simple as that.

People turn to drink and drugs for all manner of reasons and it is easy to judge when you don't, or haven't had, the problem yourself.

Some people don't have the mental strengh or capacity to avoid falling into bad habits.

Me, I try not to judge - just thank God I don't have those problems, although I may have many others.

Would you choose to be screwed up like your friend in order to receive benefits? I certainly wouldn't.

i drunk and took drugs for years, every day, many times a day, sometimes not sleping for 5-7 days at a time, sometimes not remembering 5-7days at a time. my breakfast used to be a hip bottle of vodka with a can of pepsimax. then either a bong (or 3) and a line (or 2) then off to the offy for a crate of lager. would spend the days drifting around friends houses drinking more, smoking more, snorting more, taking anything else that was on offer. EVERY penny i had or could borrow was spent on drink or drugs. ive woke up covered in spew, piss, blood, been soo off it thought my m8 was god, tv people were magazine cut outs, looked for my girlfriend in a sauspan and been unable to decide between having a tooth out or going for a crap. watched friends literally shit themselves, seen friends go home then the next day theyve died, and took so much i put myself in hospital.

IT WAS ALL MY CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!

i also chose to give it all up, sort myself out, move house, have a family, get a job, run my own business, even managed to find time to join DW ;)

i have no sympathy for anyone who claimes to be on benefits because of drink or drugs and cant work cos of mental problems due to drink or drugs, you want mental problems, put as many magic mushrooms into your body as i have over the years (especially the double season of '96 ones, mmmmmmemories lol)

fkin spongers playing the system every one of them, stop their money, youd soon see the change in them

now ill finish my beer, roll a fat one and off to bed

Last edited:
Back