Moving to social/assisted living.

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Well after a few years of private renting it's time I moved into social housing/assisted living.
Been suggested by R.B.L as I have struggled on my own trying to be independent for the past years using a shower in a small bath and Once in the bath I can not get out and having a shower is now quite dangerous for me due to my disabilities plus the noise here is getting on my nerves it's nobody's fault it's cheap crap renovations by landlord when making big house into flats and not putting in any sound proofing in the walls.
So I filled out all the forms and got registered for social housing,And as normal It came back with the lowest available rating possible despite being a war pensioner and registered disabled meaning in that band I would have absolutely no chance of getting any council/social housing.
Well after making a few calls to the housing dept and others I was told there was nothing they could do and to make an appointment to see a housing officer and that happend today.
He pulled up all my details on the computer,I then told him I wanted to appeal the banding decision I had been given and he told me I could not..by this time I was flapping some what and let go with a speech about being disabled due to army service and being registered disabled having mobility disabilities and mental health disabilities being stuck with PTSD and how come none of this is taken into account he told me I had not told them about this..yet when he checked his screen he told me oh oh I had notified them and it was all written here...
I Then also produced my war pension papers and my DLA stuff etc to which he apologised that there had been a big mistake and I had indeed been given the wrong banding and I was indeed actually priority and should be on the top band...
So after all the messing around I am pleased and great full to say I have been put in the top band and eligible for sheltered housing which is what I need and will only be shown sheltered housing to bid on...you have to use a bidding system here logging onto a site putting in a number they give you and it shows the properties available to you to bid on..you can bid on any and it don't mean you will get the property either and also you don't have to accept the property you bid on if you change your mind..dam good system really..
So the morel of my story is "if you don't ask" and all that.. If I had just accepted my banding I would never have been eligible for anything so it pays to speak up if you are not happy..
Don't get me wrong I do not expect anything from anyone just because of my situation and truly greatfull for anything or any help I am given..
I'm now just really relieved and looking forward to bidding and eventually getting my own place and somewhere to call home...although I like my present flat I know it's not really mine and I am always fearful of the landlord deciding he wants to sell the flats or something or kick me out...at least social housing will allow me some sort of safety and somewhere to live in relative peace of mind..

These government departments sure like messing you about AJT, nice to here you got sorted again, best of luck in finding a decent new place.

@AJT well thats great :) it sounds like your feeling better in yourself already :) all the best hope you get what you deserve

Good luck

Focus

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck mate, i hope it all works our for you

hope you have a successful move mate

Thanks everyone for all your friendly support..it's sort of lifted me up a bit and kind of given me something to look forward too..sure it's going to be sheltered housing but it will be mine,quite excited and I have something to work towards..
Onwards and upwards..

Hi ajt I am not in any way as disabled as you but I also ran into the same problems and I am still waiting for a brown envelope with my next assessment appointment where they will try and tell me am fit for work @ 68 just so they dont have to pay £83 a month disability living allowance

Good to hear AJT although this should of all been settled by the military and/or the government when you were first medically discharged, it's disturbing that people like you who are willing to put their lives at risk and face terrible injuries for their country are not better looked after

All the best mate you deserve all you get :)

Best of luck mate hope all goes well :)

Back