Mortagage Predicament Increase Advice

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

I took a mortgage on a property that I bought however was not going to move in until 10 months later. I got some tenants private did not let mortgage provider know (i know sneaky).

However they sent me a letter saying they are increasing my interest rate as they think I am letting the property out and that they sent me some letters to the property address and I did not respond to them (The rent guy did not give me any letters think he just binned them the knob). The increase is due to take place on 5th April however the tenants in there are leaving on the 2nd April and I am moving in then. Having spoken to someone on the phone today they said if I can provide proof via a Council tax they will stop increase but this was just an adviser the letting department is not around until Monday.

I just blagged it I am getting some work done at the house hence me not checking the post.

I have a council tax bill when i first got property which shows the overall payment for the full year till end of March. Could I show this or would they be able to check who is on electoral roll for my address currently which will not match up?. The problem is the council tax name was changed to tenant living in property when they moved in 8 months ago. Can they check that this is not the current name on electoral roll?

Or would I be better off leaving it and then when I get my council tax bill letter for when I move in 2nd of April I can show this and this will be in my name? and then sort it this way?

Anyone advise?

Before anyone says I should have let mortgage provider know I know this was only going to be a short let and could not be asked changing over etc.

Need some quality advice as to what the best steps would be for me. Cheers

best bet would go down to see citizen advice first thing monday and explain your situation, i think they'll know alot more on this subject and they are not there to judge you on your do's and don'ts, they are there for help and advice

When you say you got tenants 'private' do you mean there was no formal letting agreement?

As with many things less is more i.e. do the minimum required to get them to go away. I seem to remember a previous thread where this was raised prior to letting?

Anyway, I would start by standing your ground saying you've been having some work done and are moving in April 2nd.

If the Council Tax bill has your name then present it. If the Electoral Roll comes up just say a friend was looking after the property while supervising some of the work.

Then just wait.

If they won't budge then practise your acting skills with a bit of 'aggrieved customer roleplay', threaten to withold additional payment pending formal proceedings; threaten to move provider etc. Not Mr Angry though ;)

They want proof of two utility bills and also council tax :(

Back