Derestricted Scooter

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a derestricted scooter was done when it was bought from the shop :)
but how and where is it restricted ?

I always thought it was in the exhaust

reason for me asking is the exhaust needs replacing and Im thinking if the restriction is in the exhaust then it needs derestricting again
anyone know ?

:scooter: Piaggio Zip :scooter:

think Ive found the answer :)

Where the kickstarter is there is the crank case, You have to take off that case and there should be a flywheel on the inside of that case and its the wheel on the left. If you undo the flywheel on the left there will be a black washer or spacer in there take that spacer out and re-fit the flywheel making sure all nuts and bolts are tight then that will be your piaggio zip derestricted.

_http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_derestrict_a_piaggio_zip

That method of restriction stops the drive belt reaching maximum height on the variator so removing it will indeed increase top speed. On Suzuki's I've had in the past there has been a washer in the exhaust.

If you fancy a bit more acceleration try fitting lighter rollers in your variator. It will rev higher most of the time but will help you up hills a bit. I fitted lighter rollers and it goes up fairly steep hills at 40 where I was only getting 30.

As long as you keep them nice and quiet I don't mind. I hate scooters that are louder and more annoying then living under the heathrow flight path!!!

I don't understand how such little things make such an awful noise.

you wanna live next door to a prick with a Subaru then m8

Thanks for the tips torque :)

:) my 50cc derestricted Zip does me just fine
I live just to far to cycle and not far enough to justify a car
45/50mph is just enough speed for the distance

:scooter:

Yeah, scooters are kool for short journeys. I just prefer bikes because they're faster.

I love scooters and prefer them over bikes. I'd like to get a tmax at some point and tune the crap out of it. The Italians get them doing ridiculous things :) and failing a trip to Italy I'll take a trip down to Taffspeed.
Just a question of cash.

About us
heres 2 brothers from Northants that have a nice little unit meddling with rev'n'go's they fabricate there own exhausts and also service tune. cracking pair of lads and anyone that frequents santa pod will know they are up there with the bestwhere tuning is concerned. recently done a 100+ mph 1/4 mile on a 180cc !! quicker than me mates lc350 haha

got the exhaust sorted and no restriction,runs like a dream :)

ended up buying a Vespa while I was there though,they took my Zip as part ex :Hit:

does anyone know the UK laws on derestiction

Im 41 full uk driving licence from the mid 80s

any help would be great :)

any probs i can see is if it pushes the bhp up over the limit off your license, ie if your riding on a CBT and limited to 125cc 15bhp and you derestrict it it could go to to 20bhp.

no cbt taken or needed for a 50cc on a full uk licence from 1990(i think year is correct)

I cant see anything on my licence about bhp

I have a derestricted scooter was done when it was bought from the shop :)
but how and where is it restricted ?

I always thought it was in the exhaust

reason for me asking is the exhaust needs replacing and Im thinking if the restriction is in the exhaust then it needs derestricting again
anyone know ?

:scooter: Piaggio Zip :scooter:

restriction, to a level, depends on the type of 50cc you ride. as the law states "a maximum design speed of 30mp" how this is achieved, is up to the maker. if the restriction was on the exhaust, it would be connected to the engine, not the exhaust. so all you need to buy is an exhaust for a "de restricted" version of your bike.
restriction, engine dependent, is applied to:
intake
exhaust
transmission
ECU.
or you could buy my 1975 Gilera 50 Sport. full 60mph performance, and its legal for 16 to ride as it is!!! though the price may be a bit high, lol. mind you it will be fast, even to a 125 rider today, lol well maybe not but close.

Last edited:
The Scooter is already derestricted
I just wanted to know what the law was on this

I found a police forum where the copper or special didnt know what to do when he stopped a girl on a 50cc flying past him lol and it just got me thinking

By full license Rat i take you mean just a full Car license?

if so you would need to take a CBT to be able to ride with L plates.

I think now it has nowt to do with cc or bhp but rather the Kw of power it is.

i have a full bike license and on mine it says >=25Kw

So if you on a restricted license it be something like <25Kw so as long as your derestricked dont breach that then you should be fine.

Coppers dont have a clue best of times, i know loads who have 200 vespas and lammy all registered as 125 (for both insurance and road tax £15) and tbh if you got pull they wouldnt know.

cheers Kruger

I know I can drive a 50cc on my full car licence without L plates because I passed my car test before a certain date

it was just the restriction I was unsure of :)

Back