dbox not powering up. flashing LCD

kubrall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Just got a dbox of fleabay and am having problems getting it to do anything.

When plug in the dbox LCD does nothing and the light for the LCD flashes on and off.

I have plugged the box into the telly and the AV channel does the same thing. You can hear an audible clicking noise and the channel flashes on and off. (There is nothing on the channel just snow)

The box is a nokia

I have plugged a network cable in and have tried flashing with IFA, don't have a null modem cable at this time.

But looks like it is doing nothing

Any advice...

It looks like something is wrong with the power supply.
If you got guarantee send it back.

Hi MGB

Thanks for the rapid response.

Unfortunately have no guarantee. Is there anything that I can do to get this fixed.

How easy is a new power supply to fit and can these be purchased easy enough.

Finally are Nokia and Sagem power supplies the same

Thanks

Unfortunately the Nokia power supplies and embedded and not interchangable. With the sagem, the power supply board is seperate and can be replaced. This is not the same for the Nokia :(

You could use a multimeter to try and track down the problem.

kubrall said:
<snip)

Finally are Nokia and Sagem power supplies the same

Thanks

No a sagem it is easy to replace the whole psu, Been a while since I have seen a nokia but pretty sure they are built into the motherboard.

Have Fun

The power supply is integrated into the main board...you would have to change the whole board to change the power supply.

In Sagems, the power supply is a separate board and is much easier.

If the auction description says that the box is in working order then the item doesn't match the description and you are within your rights to send it back.

Have a look through the Ebay help pages for more advice.

Sorry to hear that the power supply cannot be replaced, where is a good place to start checking for fauly part.

Is this worth doing or is it better to bin it.

Is there anyone around that could diagnose this problem and fix it as not good with electronics.

Thanks

That with the flashing lcd.

I had a box that the lcd lit up but nothing came on it. Unplugged the strip from the board and rubbed the contacts with a dry beer matt (acts as a very smooth abrasive). Worked a treat after.

Thanks for that

Will give this a try nothing to really lose.

However the AV channel appears to flash in time with the LCD.

Anyone with any further ideas how to fix this and where to look

Thanks

Not sure what I have done but have now got the power working. It boots up and was installed with pacino 2 image.

However when I have copied the service files across I am getting channel not found and waiting for time.

Does this sound like a dodgy tuner and if so can this be replaced easily.

Seems like 2 steps forward one step back.

But hey this is still progress.

Shame the dbox is in bits now with no covers on.

The tosser who sold it had hacked the card readers out and there was bits of the terminal sticking out of the motherboard.

Some people will sell anything. :)

Always worth changing ucodes.

In the scan menu is it showing sat settings or cable ?, if it shows sat settings then the odds are the tuner is knackered but if showing cable settings then your in with a chance.

Have Fun

have u set it for ur cc 6952 and 68 something lol
t/w and ntl
did u set ur frequency did u set ur netid??
u need all these to be done

Hi There

Looks like it is showing cable settings as I am able to choose between 6952 and 6887 (think thats the right frequencies)

Do a slow scan but it is still waiting for time and no channels are found during the scan.

kubrall said:
Hi There

Looks like it is showing cable settings as I am able to choose between 6952 and 6887 (think thats the right frequencies)

Do a slow scan but it is still waiting for time and no channels are found during the scan.

when u go into the scan section set up ur
net id
frequency
and 6952 if telewest or c/w
6887 for ntl true

The "cable provider" option will not matter what you have set it to, providing you have all the settings as below:

Fast Scan = ON
NetID = network ID for your area
Freq = Frequency for your area
Symbol Rate = 6952 or 6887 (no decimal point), for your area.

THEN (very important): hit "SAVE SETTINGS NOW".
Only then should you do a "Start Scan" :)

Otherwise you're likely to not find any channels :)
Afterwards, if you get channels found but still "waiting for time", try changing uCodes or camd.

If the image is showing cables settings then the odds are the tuner isn't completly knackered, try all the ucodes, the most you have to lose is 20 minutes.

Have Fun

OK Apologies Dumb question coming up.

How do I find the following

NetID = network ID for your area
Freq = Frequency for your area

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

cheers ellie

Have tried that and got the fast scan working but still not finding any channels and still says waiting for time.

Am trying slow scan as we speak but so far not found anything.

On pacino 2 it finds the transponders straight away, is this coded into the image.

I replaced pacino with boxcracker 3.5 as this works fine on my sagem but when doing scan for channels didn't even find any transponders.

:) plus have screwed up my daughters nokia as I was trying to use IFA and never realised that her dbox had the network cable in and instead of flashing the nokia in the living room ended up flashing the nokia in her bedroom LOL, she is only 10 but man was she pissed.

Any advice would be great.

Back