Coffee machine. Which one to buy?

Daughter got a Tasio Bosh thing at Xmas.. seems we are all using it now.

Well have bit the bullet and got the de'longhi-esam04-magnifica from John Lewis. Paid £307 with family discount. Let ya no how it is when it's delivered. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have the nscfe dolce pod machine works a treat and nice and cheap!

Thumbrule: do not trust one brand in particular, they have good and bad models each. Better off trusting e.G. Which? or your equivalent independent consumer magazine reviews in the US.

I have the Philips Saeco Intelia Focus HD8751/88 another fine bean to cup machine, i payed 250 for mine of amazon when they were reduced, in fact i was so impressed that i purchased 2 of them!! (it was approx 1/3 price at the time so didnt mind), one is in the cupboard ready to go if the other one fails.
I tried the pods but hated them, they cost to much (compared to beans only costs, you end up paying for the packaging) and i ran out very quickly.
The sub 100 machines are dire, there ok for the occasional coffee drinker but if you drink a lot they fur up very quickly and are very difficult to un fur (limescale), the frother no longer froths and just heats then burns the milk (yuck). The machine i have reminds you when to descale and does it for you (although it takes around 45mins).
Another thing with the cheapo manual machines is you have to fiddle about, the bean to cup is a button and away you go.
I personally have been eyeing up the machine at my local costa, but i think the wife would have something to say about that lol.

Last edited:
I've had a Nespresso Citiz and Milk for about a year, and am really happy with it. Far better (easier, and nicer coffee) than the traditional style machine I had before that needed ground coffee. I see one on Amazon for £135 at the moment. Provided you're not drinking huge amounts of coffee then I think the capsules aren't too bad. And the foamed milk is way better than I ever managed with the old machine.

@Bronto. I ended up getting the Esam04 320 s that was on offer at John Lewis for £350. Just need to learn how to use it so any help more than welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have many solutions at home.

Started years ago with a Delonghi Espresso maker. I was getting tired of cleaning the thing and then limescale took over.
Then I moved onto the Cuisinart bean to Cup machine. Fantastic (I still have it in storage) piece of kit for less than £100. You put in beans/water. Set the 'Alarm' and wake up the next morning to the sound of beans grinding and the coffee bean (<- see what I did) made.
The only reason it got shelved was because the missus was pregnant and could not have too much caffine.

So then I moved onto a Stove top. Brilliant and very gooood! Roughly £20, you put in your ground coffee (I have a Delonghi grinder), a bit of water and whack it on the hob.

But currently and I have not looked back yet, I am onto a Nespresso Pixie machine. I already have a Dualit milk system so no need for Nespresso's own. Buy the capsules direct from them - £15 for 40 or a little over £60 for 200 (works out about 30p per cup). You can even buy your own pods and put your own ground coffee in.

If you goto Amazon at the moment they are doing an older model for £102 BUT it comes with the Milk Frother (usually £50) and a £70 voucher to buy coffee from the Nespresso club! You only have until 31st january to take advantage of this. If I never had my Pixie I would be all over this. If I had not just shelled out £70 on coffee myself last week I would have bought it as a spare and used the £70 voucher for my coffee.

Krups Nespresso XN215040 Essenza Coffee Machine with Aeroccino - Earth: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

A quick note on the Nespresso machines. They are all made by the same company but then distributed by the different manufacturers (Krups, magimix etc...). They add their own touch to them (different nozzle shape or colour) but that is all.

I pop into this place for my coffee when I buy beans. The website is a bit naff, but I generally buy a bag of the High Roast and medium Roast that is recommended that month:

Algerian Coffee Store

@Bronto. I ended up getting the Esam04 320 s that was on offer at John Lewis for £350. Just need to learn how to use it so any help more than welcome. :)

First thing to do is find a good coffee bean that you like, this is a personal thing, best one by far for me is Lavazza Rossa > Lavazza Qualita Rossa Coffee Beans 1 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

You are looking for a nice crema, once you find the one you like it is then down to getting the settings on the machine right for you, my advice would be leave the dial on the top grinder at factory setting and then mess with the strength setting until you find what is best

Another tip would be to get a nice stainless steel jug for warming your milk > Kitchen Craft Jug, Stainless Steel, 600ml: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

lots of trial and error and plenty of coffee drinking :)

oh and one more thing to remember is the machine wont make its best coffee until it's been used a few times

I second the Nespresso machine route, after having the one we've got now (Siemens TK50n01) I wouldnt go anywhere else

I have many solutions at home.

Started years ago with a Delonghi Espresso maker. I was getting tired of cleaning the thing and then limescale took over.
Then I moved onto the Cuisinart bean to Cup machine. Fantastic (I still have it in storage) piece of kit for less than £100. You put in beans/water. Set the 'Alarm' and wake up the next morning to the sound of beans grinding and the coffee bean (<- see what I did) made.
The only reason it got shelved was because the missus was pregnant and could not have too much caffine.

So then I moved onto a Stove top. Brilliant and very gooood! Roughly £20, you put in your ground coffee (I have a Delonghi grinder), a bit of water and whack it on the hob.

But currently and I have not looked back yet, I am onto a Nespresso Pixie machine. I already have a Dualit milk system so no need for Nespresso's own. Buy the capsules direct from them - £15 for 40 or a little over £60 for 200 (works out about 30p per cup). You can even buy your own pods and put your own ground coffee in.

If you goto Amazon at the moment they are doing an older model for £102 BUT it comes with the Milk Frother (usually £50) and a £70 voucher to buy coffee from the Nespresso club! You only have until 31st january to take advantage of this. If I never had my Pixie I would be all over this. If I had not just shelled out £70 on coffee myself last week I would have bought it as a spare and used the £70 voucher for my coffee.

Krups Nespresso XN215040 Essenza Coffee Machine with Aeroccino - Earth: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

@MOAMB not quite £100...lol Hope you enjoy it though buddy

your all flipping bonkers
for 1% of what you are saying you can get a jar of coffee milk and a bag of sugar then take the misses on a short break to London or summit

Live in London. So for us it would be to save the money to visit family back in the north east..... Bollocks to that!

Saw Tesco have the Dolce Gusto for about £35 at the moment.

Back