Children's Tax Allowance - possible backdated allowance of £520

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seen this on another forum -

The year before Tax Credits were introduced there was a different non-means tested allowance available which was never advertised by the Inland Revenue.
It is called the Childrens Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3.

You can still claim this tax allowance before the 31 January 2009 deadline.

You need to phone HMRC on 0845 302 1437 and ask them to check whether you have already received this allowance and, if not, enquire as to what action you need to take.

You are eligible to claim £520.00 allowance if;

*You have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
*The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003
*You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003
*You or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year

You are eligible for the £1,040 allowance if;

*If you can answer yes to the four questions above, and
*One of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003

Notes:-

*Making a claim does not affect your current or future entitlement to Working or Child Tax credits.
*Your Marital status is irrelevant
*You cannot claim the allowance twice and if your final tax code on your April 2003 P60 ended in a H or a T, you have already had the allowance.
*This is an easy claim for you to make so do not get duped into paying someone to do it for you because they are likely to charge a large percentage for their services.

Just phoned myself, and it turns out neither me or my missus got this in 2002 / 2003, so we'll be claiming it - might not come to anything, but only out the cost of a stamp. bear in mind, as far as I can tell, this is an allowance, so you won't get back £520, you'll get back the tax you paid on £520 of your income.

For those who may qualify, you can get the claim form from HMRC at

11CTC - Claim for Children's Tax Credit

Thanks Tony, just looked at my 2003 P60, final tax code ends in an H, but ta for heads up anyway :Wave:

Thanks mate good peice of information

I have been sent this info direct from my accountant so I can confirm its correct.

Unfortunatly my son was born in June (2 months too late) ... anyone know where to get an 'amended' birth certificate ? ;-)

Hmm I think I may give this a try. HMRC did try and take me to court over the overpayment of credits but they pulled out 1 day before the court appearance as I refused to give the money back.

Hopefully I can squeeze some more money out of them :)

Thanks Tony!

Thanks for that. Form has a check box for 2001/02 & 2002/03 so maybe even more of a bonus if you're eligible. Good luck to everybody applying (me too!!).
Post back please if anybody hears anything from HMRC.
HH.

Just off the phone to my local tax office, the very nice(?) gentleman there says it looks as though I'm eligible for this, WooHoo. Few things though;
He reckons the date for claiming is end of January 09 so get your forms posted,
The date for claiming 2001/02 has passed but might be worth ticking the boxes for both years anyway - you never know,
The phone number in the OP 0845 302 1437 is a recorded message saying to contact your individual tax office,
He THINKS (if you're successful) you get a cheque for £520, not the tax on £520. He did stress he wasn't 100% sure though, fingers crossed.
Address to send the completed 11CTC form is,
HMRC
31, Lisbon Street
Leeds
LS1 4SA

Good luck,
HH.

just called too, the girl knew exactly what i was talking about and told me to send the form in as i should qualify.

nice find.

maybe this should be made a sticky for a wee while, or at least until the deadline at the end of january is up.

Can't edit now. Postcode is actually LS1 4SW
HH.

my final tax code for year 02/03 ends with 'H'

:grrrr:

just rang my local office i havnt had it back and they are sending me the forms get in!

TY tony rep added!

Did anyone here claim for this and if so have you heard anything yet?

I sent my info off at the beginning of December and chased it up to check they had it before Xmas, but they told me they had a 4 week backlog of mail. I rang again after Xmas and was told they now have an 11 week backlog!

As long as it is dated before the cut off at the end of January you should be ok.

I sent my info off at the beginning of December and chased it up to check they had it before Xmas, but they told me they had a 4 week backlog of mail. I rang again after Xmas and was told they now have an 11 week backlog!

As long as it is dated before the cut off at the end of January you should be ok.

i sent mine recorded craig so ive got proof of that cheers for the info buddy.

Same here, seems like ages ago I posted mine. Guy I spoke to said they'd been swamped & to sit tight. Fingers still crossed.
HH.

Mine ends with a T but followed by an A. Not sure. This is the link my m8 sent before xmas. It says if ending with a H or T then you already got it, if unsure then they check. Im gonna give it a go anyway, nothing to lose except for the price of a stamp.

Back