Capello names surprise Cup squad

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
England coach Fabio Capello has made several surprise selections in his preliminary 30-man World Cup squad.

Uncapped duo Adam Johnson and Michael Dawson are in, along with Dawson's Tottenham team-mate Tom Huddlestone.

Jamie Carragher comes out of international retirement, while fellow defender Ledley King and the injured Gareth Barry have also been picked.

Scott Parker, Stephen Warnock and Darren Bent are chosen, with the final 23-man squad to be announced by 1 June.

Under Fifa regulations, Capello is permitted to bring players into his 23-man squad who were not included in the preliminary party.

But that would be an unusual move, meaning the squad he takes to this summer's finals in South Africa is unlikely to look too dissimilar to that which he named on Tuesday.

England play Mexico at Wembley on 24 May and Japan in Austria six days later as part of a pre-tournament training camp.

That will provide Capello with time to work with a much-changed squad and put the finishing touches to his preparations.

More to follow.

England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Story from BBC SPORT:
BBC Sport - Football - Fabio Capello makes surprise England World Cup choices

Published: 2010/05/11 12:53:45 GMT

© BBC MMX

Hi good to see darren bent in the squad he has had a good season not sure if he will make the 23 hope he does. jamie carragher retires from international football now england have qualified for the finals he has decided to come back out of retirement will he be in final 23 he is not the player he was he has lost some pace

Hi good to see darren bent in the squad he has had a good season not sure if he will make the 23 hope he does. jamie carragher retires from international football now england have qualified for the finals he has decided to come back out of retirement will he be in final 23 he is not the player he was he has lost some pace
he didnt decide to come back he was asked because of ferdinands injury plagued season

Jamie Carragher has explained his decision to come out of international retirement.
spacer.gif

Our No.23 has been named in Fabio Capello's provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup three years after retiring from international duty.
Carragher is almost certain to make the final 23-man selection for the trip to South Africa.
"The FA got in touch and asked if I would have a rethink, due to injury problems. I said I would make myself available," said the 32-year-old.
"The World Cup and Champions League are the highest levels of football.
"I'm not getting any younger, we have no Champions League football next season and I am keen to work under Fabio Capello."

Last edited:
Why the hell has he included Gareth Barry??? He's injured and at the mo he's suspected to come back 1 wk before it all kicks off and thats not a definate.
And Ledley King can only apparently play one game a week with his knees so what good is he in a tournament?
Gerrard has had a terrible season but hopefully he'll rise to the occasion......but his mind is else were if the rumours are true about his missus and this 16 yr old he's supposed to have knocked up.
Its starting to look like a team that played in the last world cup lol.
Oh well maybe we can grab linekar and Gasgoine if we are really lucky...oh and we need a keeper so what the hell is Shilton doin these days lmao

You think?

I bet he makes the final 23.

I agree with that he will but i don't see how he gets in sure he hasn't started that many games for Villa yet he makes it into the squad. I think Zamora deserved it more then Heskey but we know Fabio likes a big man upfront but for someone with so little playing time at club level i don't agree with the selection. Zamora could also do a similar job and also i think Zamora is technically better. Anyway good luck to Heskey hope he does well and i trust Capello!

More then likely he will even be in the starting 11 come our first game of the World Cup.

Capello reveals failed Scholes bid

Fabio Capello has revealed he failed to lure Paul Scholes out of international retirement to play for England at the World Cup.

Capello unveiled his 30-man provisional squad this afternoon, which included Jamie Carragher, who he successfully managed to talk out of retirement ahead of this summer's tournament in South Africa.

Yet Capello's hopes of having a double cause for celebration were dashed by Scholes, who quit the international scene after Euro 2004, sick of being played out of position by Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The 35-year-old has never given the impression of missing England duty, which took him away from his family for far too long for his liking.

And, although Capello had one last attempt to try and bring the midfield schemer into the Three Lions' fold once more, the answer was unequivocal.

"I tried. It was up to him. He said no," said Capello.

"We have been monitoring him for the second part of the season and he has played very well.

"We tried to convince him to come back for England because he is one of the best players. But he preferred to stay with his family."

It was an answer Sir Alex Ferguson predicted any request from Capello would receive and is a blow, especially as fellow veteran David Beckham has been ruled out with a ruptured Achilles.

I agree with that he will but i don't see how he gets in sure he hasn't started that many games for Villa yet he makes it into the squad. I think Zamora deserved it more then Heskey but we know Fabio likes a big man upfront but for someone with so little playing time at club level i don't agree with the selection. Zamora could also do a similar job and also i think Zamora is technically better. Anyway good luck to Heskey hope he does well and i trust Capello!

More then likely he will even be in the starting 11 come our first game of the World Cup.

I know what your saying there about Heskey/Zamora and your quite right Zamora does deserve his chance. I think the one big thing Heskey has going for him is that Rooney likes playing with him. Heskey for me can hold up the ball up better than Zamora although Zamora is technically better and if you look at Bobbys form he tends go on little bursts rather than consitency. Heskey would be in my final 23 as he's proven what he can can do and it keeps the roo happy, the last thing you want is a player who can go off the boil randomly.
Why on earth Carraghers even made the 30 is beyond me he's well past his best and id rather take an injured ferdinand with dawson to come in as back up.

Michael Dawson has been absolutely awesome this season and come the time to cut the squad down surely he deserves to be ahead of Carragher not because he is scouse but because of the form factor.

Dawson is playing really well. Glad to see Baines in the squad he is a good honest hard working player and great cover for Cashley!

Midfield i worry about the left side!

Capello will take the right guys to SA of that im sure he tends to pick players on current form not on past ability. Caraghers addition looks to be something of a gauntlet thrown down to both him and the contending players. I personally can see dawson getting the nod. That said i thought gareth bale would be worth a look at (current form) and im a little surprised he isnt included. Fookin yids vs the rest of the world lol.

Capello will take the right guys to SA of that im sure he tends to pick players on current form not on past ability. Caraghers addition looks to be something of a gauntlet thrown down to both him and the contending players. I personally can see dawson getting the nod. That said i thought gareth bale would be worth a look at (current form) and im a little surprised he isnt included. Fookin yids vs the rest of the world lol.

Bales Welsh mate so staying home!

Carragher is there, IMHO, because he can cover the back line quite well, and with Rio, Ledley and Glen Johnson all having, or had injury problems, I can see why Capello might think him worth a place.

Not sure I agree, but I can understand the thinking behind it.

Gareth Barry I'm certainly not convinced about, but again Heskey I can sort of see the merits to his inclusion. Bent for me is fully deserved, but Zamora I've never been convinced of, though Hodgson has managed to get the best out him, I'm not sure he's suitable for an England birth though.

Cant believe he's gonna take Theo Walcot, he's nothing more than the footballing equivelent of Forest Gump, ruuuuun Theo ruuuuun!
Take his pace away and he's nothing. Adam Johnson before him anyday.

Capello actually approached Zamora for a place in the 30 man squad but Zamora turned it down, becuase he needs surgery on his Achilles and if he doesnt have it he said he wont be able to do himself justice in the training camp and get sent home.

I have to applaud the inclusions of Dawson, Bent and Ledley King - proves he's picking players on merit. I'm glad that Joe Cole is included too as he's an important player for us. I'm highly surprised Rio is in the 30 man squad considering he's hardly kicked a ball this season and when he has he's been shite. Sorry Man U fans but he has. I know Capello named him captain so I figure that's why he's in the 30 man squad but I think he'll be lucky if he goes to the WC and if he plays ahead of Dawson or Ledley King alongside JT then that's just daylight robbery and a complete lack of ingenuity on Capello's part in my opinion if that happens as that's partly why we never win sod all sometimes the team selections have been baffling, though not so much under Capello admittedly. In any case I think he's smarter than that. You don't win all the trophies he has without knowing exactly what you're doing as a manager so I have complete faith in him that we'll do well. Still think Spain will take it home though.

Cant believe he's gonna take Theo Walcot, he's nothing more than the footballing equivelent of Forest Gump, ruuuuun Theo ruuuuun!
Take his pace away and he's nothing. Adam Johnson before him anyday.

Now now be fair you wouldn't be so damning if he was burning down your right wing in Man U colors! As for the comment itself I could easily say the same thing about Aaaron Lennon, but it's a divvy statement anyhow take his pace away and he's nothing, pace is key to any footballer and is a highly dangerous attribute in and of itself. That alone is what makes players like Walcott, Lennon and Wright-Phillips so dangerous. It's also the thing that makes players truly world class if they are actually great players on the ball.....and for me the England team needs more pace not less.

Last edited:
Back