Capello names his final 23-man squad for South Africa

dizy007

Inactive User
Reaction score
World Cup woe for Walcott.

Sky Sports | Football | World Cup 2010 | England | World Cup woe for Walcott

England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).​

Last edited by a moderator:
2 question marks for me are Barry & Bent, Capello always said he wouldn't take injuries, i know a few others have been out with injuries but at least they've had a chance of a kick about Barry's not even had that and what more does Bent have to do he's scored 24 goals this season, rather give him a chance than Heskey

agree mate he shouldnt take barry as he hasnt feature in any training sessions at all and how can you be sure he'll be fit. good luck to ENGLAND

upson instead of dawson? im not a fan of either players team but ffs dawson has been outstanding this season and upson has been a joke.

thats the only error i see tbh, heskey dont score goals but whoever he plays with always seems to get them has he does hold the ball up well.

joe cole spot on, he might not have played many games but was our best player last time we actually played in a world cup lol.

my only hope is barry is fit as gerrard and lampard can not play together no matter what anyone says. we,ve played some avaerage teams lately and they both played us off the field, why? because theres always a big hole in mf as both those players want to go forward but niether of them want to do the hard work and track back and get stuck in. lampard or gerrard with barry or even carrick, we play them both and our defence is going to be very busy and bigger teams will tear us a new one.

over all, good choice of squad but it all depands who he starts.

I don't think Theo did enough to go to be honest.

But the only pace England have is lennon and walcot lets hope lennon stays fit.

Mickie

putting a player into a squad when he cannot even get into his club side is totally wrong cap even said ( i believe ) if you dont play for your club you wont get in so why has heskey been pick over anyone

Well at first I was critical of some of the team selection, initially I though Bent had done enough this season to secure a spot on the plane but having sat back a moment and thought about it, Capello's obviously gone for experience, which you kinda need in major tournaments - that and Bent is completely unproven in an England shirt. Could have been a surprise package of the tournament but then again he could have totally frozen on the big stage. We'll never know. Rio's inclusion still sucks for me....he's done nothing all season, dodgy back, and whenever England have conceded goals in the last two games it's been when he was on the pitch. Ledley and Terry for me. Definitely.

Feel a bit for Baines too I thought he did alright at left back when he's played. As for Walcott...to be honest I think the only reason he's been left behind is because Lennon is fit. And Lennon is the better player of the two.

So I think it's a wise move taking Lennon, Joe Cole, Crouch and Milner...though how many of those players wind up getting regular starts I don't know...he'll probably play the same old same old and we'll get raped lol.

Personally I still think we should be making a lot more of the friendlies to try out new people and formations over the full 90....as it is we nearly always play the same 11 so we never have a plan B imo.

Can't agree with Heskey getting in he ain't good enough to make Villa's team just a sub for them but come England he is a starter just wrong i can't agree with it. How Shaun Wright Philips got in is another surprise again he was strugglin near the end of the season and now he goes i'd rather have had Walcott who i ain't a big fan of ahead of SWP. How Ashley Young never even made the 30 is beyond me and as for Bent i'd rather have him on my team when in search of a goal rather then Heskey.

Dawson has been outstanding one of the best centre halves in the country if Capello was brave enough to leave Walcott out he should have done same with Upson who has made many mistakes and his confidence is low.

Barry why the foook are we taking him when he is injured and also the mediocre Carrick. Both Carrick and Barry shouldn't be in there. I'd rather we took Scott Parker and Huddlestone ahead of the injured Barry (who if fit deserved his place) as for Carrick he has been useless for the best part of the last season.

I can't say i agree with the selection but i trust in Capello.

reason for heskey's inclusion is that he brings the best out of rooney and i dont think many will disagree with that. i know his goal scoring record is rubbish but rooney with defoe/bent/crouch has been tried and i dont think they've worked. bent has been unlucky and if it wasnt for the heskey/rooney chemistry he woulda made it...

surprised with walcott being left out. theres no doubt he hasnt done enough but he is a very good impact player and if u need a goal with 15mins to go he could have run defences ragged with his pace & acceleration.. the fact that swp made it ahead of him is a joke tbh...

dawson for me has to be the unluckiest player from all of them. i just feel that because he wasnt involved in previous squads he has been overlooked. upson will be the last choice centre if needed i think, i can see king & carragher playing before him.

reason for heskey's inclusion is that he brings the best out of rooney and i dont think many will disagree with that. i know his goal scoring record is rubbish but rooney with defoe/bent/crouch has been tried and i dont think they've worked. bent has been unlucky and if it wasnt for the heskey/rooney chemistry he woulda made it...

True, I think Heskey's proven to bring the best out of any of his strike partners as for all his negatives one thing he isn't is selfish. So Crouchy although I'd start with him will probably play the super sub role....mind you it's not up front I worry about it's defence that has me concerned with Rio in place of Dawson. Think that could be a collossal F up on Capello's part in my honest opinion.....

As a Scotsman I don't really care who you have picked but I was totally shocked Ashley young never even made your 30 man squad. I would have him in your starting 11 he's your best left mid player. Also thought Adam Johnstone would have went he's head and shoulders above swp.

Hi

Just dont understand why Heskey and Carrick are there, I feel should have been Bent and Scott Parker. Also perhaps feel Dawson should be there instead of Upson.

Not really surprised by Walcott being left out as he just doesnt use the ball correctly.

Regards

Its not always about playing ability.
Sometimes its a players demeanor, what effect he has on the squad off the pitch that makes a manager either pick him or not for a squad.

I believe that Baines lost his place after saying in an interview that he became homesick very easily.
That could easily impact on the squad, so Capello dropped him.

I am amazed at the bad press that SWP has beeen getting.
"Johnson is much better than him"
1) Is that just because Mancini picks Johnson ahead of SWP, because he also picks Dejong ahead of Ireland, and I think that he is a much better player.
2) Short memories here, watched an England match recently when Walcott started and diid nothing for 60 minutes SWP came on and ripped thorugh the defence and changed the game.

I too believe Johnson should have gone, but in place of Upson who I dont believ will get any pitch time.

However the squad is now chosen.

I would like to think that we will now all get behind the squad and praise them at least until we go out.

I expect that they will be slated on here after every match though win or lose.

Cmon England

Bent not going ! How the foook can a proven goal scorer be picked behind a large lump of of usless muck who cant even get a place on his league team.

so true mate Bent banged the goals in last seasons what did hesksy do jack very poor decsion

Its not always about playing ability.
Sometimes its a players demeanor, what effect he has on the squad off the pitch that makes a manager either pick him or not for a squad.

I believe that Baines lost his place after saying in an interview that he became homesick very easily.
That could easily impact on the squad, so Capello dropped him.

I am amazed at the bad press that SWP has beeen getting.
"Johnson is much better than him"
1) Is that just because Mancini picks Johnson ahead of SWP, because he also picks Dejong ahead of Ireland, and I think that he is a much better player.
2) Short memories here, watched an England match recently when Walcott started and diid nothing for 60 minutes SWP came on and ripped thorugh the defence and changed the game.

I too believe Johnson should have gone, but in place of Upson who I dont believ will get any pitch time.

However the squad is now chosen.

I would like to think that we will now all get behind the squad and praise them at least until we go out.

I expect that they will be slated on here after every match though win or lose.

Cmon England

What do you want everyoen to close their eyes and play happy families

People will praise and criticize depending on how they feel each player has performed

De Jong is a break up midfielder and Ireland an attacking one so comparing the 2 is not possible. You wonder why Johnson got in Mancini had both in trainig on a daily basis hence is a better judge and SWP had a dissapointing season. He got in because Walcott never performed in the 2 warm ups. Personally i think both are very average players but i know who i'd rather have.

The team will always have our support play with some heart and the nation is behind them. If every player plays with the determination of Owen Hargreaves at the last World Cup we really could go far in this tournament.

If every player plays with the determination of Owen Hargreaves at the last World Cup we really could go far in this tournament.

While I don't really rate him as a footballer in terms of technique I'll give major credit where it's due the guy never stopped running for us in that last WC, and that is what I expect from the likes of Gerrard and Lampard but they never seem to bother. Hypothetically based on the back of the last WC and had he stayed fit I'd have had Hargreaves as the captain because he really did run himself into the ground in every match in that last world cup. I just hope Gerrard turns it around and has a stormer of a tournament. I think Rooney will shine, but as I said before I worry about the defence if Rio is in it.....

Back