Cant jtag a Sammy

draindet

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys trying to do a second hand sammy for a mates sister, done two brand new ones before with no probs, however never had to jtag as both new ones set their own net id and had bk on a label on the packaging.
This one i got off fleabay the jtag points were in a mess flux and solder every where, cleaned flux off sucked out holes and retinned pads, connected jtag bk2.2 says PC to target cable disconnected, sdt says same sort of thing.
Soldering is fine i used to be a prototype wireman so i know what im doing, have buzzed out tracks no breaks or shorts. Still cant get sammy to auto set the net id i am pure ntl and net id stays at 09999 have set frequency and pin but box will not set net id, is there david and docsis sammys or should both auto set net id in pure ntl area?
I have measured the voltage between pin 2 VCC and ground and it is less than 1 volt it should be 3.3v any ideas?

Please help this box is for a mates disabled sister, think i might have been fooked over on fleabay. What do you reckon have i been sold a sh*t box?

As I understand it (but I could be wrong) the firmare is different between davic and docsis Samsung boxes. If you take a docsis sammy to to davic (pure ntl) area you need to manually set the netid and then once on stream the first thing it will do is a firmware update to the correct davic version - only then will the netid autoupdate if you move to another (davic) region. Did the box come with its original card? This should tell you if it came from a exC&W or pure NTL region. Presumably you also need jtag to get the bk (or did you get it off the card?).

Have you used a jtag before? - some models require pins 8 & 15 connecting together on the parallel port or you'll get the symptoms you describe.

draindet said:
Hi guys trying to do a second hand sammy for a mates sister, done two brand new ones before with no probs, however never had to jtag as both new ones set their own net id and had bk on a label on the packaging.
This one i got off fleabay the jtag points were in a mess flux and solder every where, cleaned flux off sucked out holes and retinned pads, connected jtag bk2.2 says PC to target cable disconnected, sdt says same sort of thing.
Soldering is fine i used to be a prototype wireman so i know what im doing, have buzzed out tracks no breaks or shorts. Still cant get sammy to auto set the net id i am pure ntl and net id stays at 09999 have set frequency and pin but box will not set net id, is there david and docsis sammys or should both auto set net id in pure ntl area?
I have measured the voltage between pin 2 VCC and ground and it is less than 1 volt it should be 3.3v any ideas?

Please help this box is for a mates disabled sister, think i might have been fooked over on fleabay. What do you reckon have i been sold a sh*t box?

If i understand what you've written?,has someone jtagged or attempted it b4 you bought it?.
The reason i ask is someone may well have had the same prob as what your gettin and thought fook it,sell it on.
The sammys i have done the jtag points have been un-touched.
Just a thought

UNDETTERRED said:
If i understand what you've written?,has someone jtagged or attempted it b4 you bought it?.
The reason i ask is someone may well have had the same prob as what your gettin and thought fook it,sell it on.
The sammys i have done the jtag points have been un-touched.
Just a thought
Thanks for the reply
Yes someone has tried to jtag it before but it did come with a mosc card which i could read got bk and ird but dont know if its correct as i can not set the net id.

bammy said:
As I understand it (but I could be wrong) the firmare is different between davic and docsis Samsung boxes. If you take a docsis sammy to to davic (pure ntl) area you need to manually set the netid and then once on stream the first thing it will do is a firmware update to the correct davic version - only then will the netid autoupdate if you move to another (davic) region. Did the box come with its original card? This should tell you if it came from a exC&W or pure NTL region. Presumably you also need jtag to get the bk (or did you get it off the card?).

Have you used a jtag before? - some models require pins 8 & 15 connecting together on the parallel port or you'll get the symptoms you describe.
Yes it came with an mosc original ntl card which i have read but how will i know which area it came from, the menu is a different color to my sammy does that mean it has old software or something? Have used the jtag before on a 4010 it worked fine got it from tmc.

Try taking a look at the back of the card.

IT may have something like this:

0115A01 = ROM11 + 5A01 which is Telewest
0115A01 = ROM11 + 5401 which is NTL
0115A01 = ROM11 + 5C01 which is C&W

This is a guide but no guarantee as the card may have been written to by somebody else. If you can dump the card with something like XNCS that will tell you what the provider is i.e. 5A, 54, 5C.........

Was there any chance that you got to see the original net-id before you shorted the battery?

exoticasian30 said:
Try taking a look at the back of the card.

IT may have something like this:

0115A01 = ROM11 + 5A01 which is Telewest
0115A01 = ROM11 + 5401 which is NTL
0115A01 = ROM11 + 5C01 which is C&W

This is a guide but no guarantee as the card may have been written to by somebody else. If you can dump the card with something like XNCS that will tell you what the provider is i.e. 5A, 54, 5C.........

Was there any chance that you got to see the original net-id before you shorted the battery?
The card has 0115c01P04 which should be C&W net-id was 09999 when i got the box. As i cant get the jtag to work i cant set the net id to let it do a firmware update.

Well that would explain why it is not auto setting (exc&w firmware at present).

You really need to get that jtag working in order to get your required net-id into that box.

Have you tried a search on the error43 you are getting. I had the same thing with my Lavatronics jtag and had to do a mod as Bammy said above.

Perhaps you can tell us what jtag you are using or post some pics...

exoticasian30 said:
Well that would explain why it is not auto setting (exc&w firmware at present).

You really need to get that jtag working in order to get your required net-id into that box.

Have you tried a search on the error43 you are getting. I had the same thing with my Lavatronics jtag and had to do a mod as Bammy said above.

Perhaps you can tell us what jtag you are using or post some pics...

The only time i've ever had error 43 is when the GND wire had'nt been attached properly.
Will also be interested to see if you get 3.2 software,as 2 days ago i did a sammy and could'nt get it??

I have a Sammy here.

Give me a little while and I'll do a voltage measurement on pin 2 so you can have a comparison.

OK mate. You may need to go back and re confirm your pin 2 measurement.

I have just measured my box and have 3.337 volts from pin 2 to ground.

exoticasian30 said:
OK mate. You may need to go back and re confirm your pin 2 measurement.

I have just measured my box and have 3.337 volts from pin 2 to ground.
Cheers m8
i am only getting 0.8volts that decreases slowly to 0 after about 20 seconds, but i did test it to the chasis i will try to pin 20 l8tr and see what voltage i get. i really do think that i have bougt a f*cked box.
I really hope not as this girl is so cute you wouldnt believe but she is in a wheelchair for life and i would realy like to help her out. Believe me i am not a trader or anynthing just trying to help a m8 out, but i think ive just wasted £67 on a fooked box.

draindet said:
Cheers m8
i am only getting 0.8volts that decreases slowly to 0 after about 20 seconds, but i did test it to the chasis i will try to pin 20 l8tr and see what voltage i get. i really do think that i have bougt a f*cked box.
I really hope not as this girl is so cute you wouldnt believe but she is in a wheelchair for life and i would realy like to help her out. Believe me i am not a trader or anynthing just trying to help a m8 out, but i think ive just wasted £67 on a fooked box.

If its any help,i've got a sammy breakin for spares,everything bar the lid and back plate.
It won't power up?your welcome to the main board if its any use to you,although it has in a past life been jtagged as solder spots are evident,not by me though.
Let me know.

UNDETTERRED said:
If its any help,i've got a sammy breakin for spares,everything bar the lid and back plate.
It won't power up?your welcome to the main board if its any use to you,although it has in a past life been jtagged as solder spots are evident,not by me though.
Let me know.
Thanks very much for the offer m8 i will try measuring pin 2 to ground again later today and let you know whats happening.

Sounds like a faulty cap mate.

I measured my pin2 against the chassis as opoosed to another pin also but I do not think that will make any difference.

Looks like it might be a case of tracking which cap or going for that kindly donated mainboard from the kind man, UNDETTERRED.

exoticasian30 said:
Sounds like a faulty cap mate.

I measured my pin2 against the chassis as opoosed to another pin also but I do not think that will make any difference.

Looks like it might be a case of tracking which cap or going for that kindly donated mainboard from the kind man, UNDETTERRED.

I have just tested pin 2 to pin 20 and get 3.33v i had not replaced all the screws in the board when i tested it to the chasis and think that the earting screw was out.
Anyway it looks like the board is ok but i still get not connected error, has anyone had to connect pin 8 to pin 15 on the taylor made circuits jtag to get it to work on a sammy?

Since my last post i have jtagged my own sammy and everything worked first time, i have set the net id and frequency and taken the box to my mates sister where i installed it in an ex c&w area and it all worked fine. She is over the moon and i think her quality of life is slightly better thanks to our actions. However now i dont have a nice silver sammy all i have is a sh*tty old 4001 which flicks and freezes every now and then.

Anyway i would like to thank all of you that helped out especially Undetterred who's kind offer of a spare main board i have accepted gratefully.

Cheers Guys

draindet said:
Since my last post i have jtagged my own sammy and everything worked first time, i have set the net id and frequency and taken the box to my mates sister where i installed it in an ex c&w area and it all worked fine. She is over the moon and i think her quality of life is slightly better thanks to our actions. However now i dont have a nice silver sammy all i have is a sh*tty old 4001 which flicks and freezes every now and then.
Anyway i would like to thank all of you that helped out especially Undetterred who's kind offer of a spare main board i have accepted gratefully.
Cheers Guys
Great stuff.
My brother is paralysed from the neck down so I know just how you feel when you say you have helped to improve your friends quality of life.
Good on ya mate.

Back