Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can i split off of a cooker power supply?

This is in the hall and the only socket is on the opposite side.

It will look a pigs ear. Ill leave it for now and have a think ill probs get a pro in to have a look see what they suggest.

sometimes there's a hole in the wall behind the skirting or he could make a channel in the wall behind the skirting that wouldnt be seen?

You can do what you like in your own house, but running cables behind skirting (unless mechanically protected) is against the IEE regs.
And yes the answer to the million dolar question is...
I am a qualified electrican and I do have cables behind my skirting, lol

no thread is old but why dont you fit a fused spur on the line before you head it into the socket ?

i know you can do that for lighting when taking it from the ring main for sockets

the spur isolates the supply if needed also brings down the ampage

no thread is old but why dont you fit a fused spur on the line before you head it into the socket ?

i know you can do that for lighting when taking it from the ring main for sockets

the spur isolates the supply if needed also brings down the ampage

I thought I did say that lol ;)

To be honest it might not meet regulations if you downsize the cable, but I cannot see why not if you use common sense and take a small amount of 6mm cable and feed a spur then go down to 2.5mm cable.

He would have to take 6mm to the fuse spur because if he took 2.5mm to the fuse spur (feed)... then if he had a breaker over 24 amps it could potentially over heat the cable should a fault arise.

Regards
Mick

I assume you have pulled the cooker out and had a look behind it. Depending on the age of the build you may find a single unswitched socket outlet or fused spur behind it. This is normally left for the hob iginition and is either fed from the cooker switch but more likely on the ring.

Or if you have an extractor fan above your cooker then again you have in theory a ring connected socket. Unless the kitchen fitter connected it to the the lighting of course :Cry:

There is a single switched cooker point in the cupboard next to the cooker. The extractor has it's own electircty feed.

I decided against it in the end not worth the risk or hassle. I will ask my spark m8 to have a look see what he can do.

Good decision. leave well enough alone. cooker will be on a 30a breaker, this will provide no safety or protection to a socket that should be on a 20a breaker at most

Good decision. leave well enough alone. cooker will be on a 30a breaker, this will provide no safety or protection to a socket that should be on a 20a breaker at most

Eh? Ring main is usually fused to 30 Amp or 32Amp breaker. The fused spur would make it just fine as said by others in the thread ( including electricians iirc )

/Edit just read up on "newer" 20A radial circuit but the fused spur would still work on this installation.

Last edited:
yes but the words barely legal and last resort were also used not to mention bad practice. you should never take chances with electricity.. a fused spur however is a possibility, would i do it in my house NO WAY !

yes but the words barely legal and last resort were also used not to mention bad practice. you should never take chances with electricity.. a fused spur however is a possibility, would i do it in my house NO WAY !

barely legal? so legal?

last resort? To me the last resort would be to rip out the floorboards, chase out the walls and include it in the ring main.

bad practice? not really. Bad practice would be to stick a socket on instead of a spur.

Would I do it in my house? Absolutely and in full knowledge that it would be safe.

I agree though. Idiots should stay away from electricity and I also think they should stop offering electrical advice. ( so that's me out :tongue: )

Back