Can i split off of a cooker power supply?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As above i have a range cooker that iswired into a fused cooker point.

On the opposite side of that stood wall i want to run a wire out and install a double socket.

Can i run off of the cooker or not im thinking no?

i could be wrong but i think the cooker is pretty heavy duty and has to have its own power supply. I know ours is wired separately.

Alright mate if you gonna use low wattage appliances then ok.

Alright mate if you gonna use low wattage appliances then ok.

I would be hooking the pc up to the socket. So monitor, tower,printer,speakers.

There is another cable above for the extractor hood. But i don't know how id run it down the stud wall. I don't want to make a mess if i can help it.

I would be hooking the pc up to the socket. So monitor, tower,printer,speakers.

There is another cable above for the extractor hood. But i don't know how id run it down the stud wall. I don't want to make a mess if i can help it.

That should be fine.

simple answer NO!!!!!

do not even attempt it it will probably be connected to a 30 amp fuse in the fuse box and ringed

keep well away !!!!!!

Not sure if it's against part P and all that nonsense but I can't see it being a problem at all. A normal ring main is protected at 32A iirc and on a normal ring main you can spur off 1 socket per ring main socket. What's the difference taking it off the cooker circuit? As long as you use a socket and properly fused plug there should be no problem at all.

/I know someone will say it's not possible and dangerous because of part P but I'd have no worries in doing it and never worrying about it being unsafe.

i would suspect no, but i am sure sparkies would confirm when they get in.

on purely the pc/printer/monitor front avoid it if you can you will get spikes on the line that will eventaully kill your computer kit.

you would also need to consider your house insurance. if god forbid you ever had a problem or a claim due to an electrical fault or fire and they came out and saw you had done that, they would probably say your insurance was null and void.

you would also need to consider your house insurance. if god forbid you ever had a problem or a claim due to an electrical fault or fire and they came out and saw you had done that, they would probably say your insurance was null and void.

Can't argue with that. Councils, Insurance companies and part P have you by the balls.

I'd still do it.

Last edited:
As above i have a range cooker that iswired into a fused cooker point.

On the opposite side of that stood wall i want to run a wire out and install a double socket.

Can i run off of the cooker or not im thinking no?

Dont bother m8, it aint good practice to do that .

I would find an alternative if you can.

No probs then ill get a spark in to have a look. cheers all.

In theory you could spur off in 6mm cable into 13A fcu then from the load side (2.5mm) into a double socket. Its only the same setup as the socket outlet on a combined cooker switch and socket outlet which is protected by 40A MCB. Its all about protecting the cable/installation.
Barely legal but not good practice.

PS I'd do it as last resort for hob/fan only tho

Last edited:
In theory you could spur off in 6mm cable into 13A fused spur then from the load side into a double socket. Its only the same setup as the socket outlet on a combined cooker switch and socket outlet which protected by 40A MCB. Its all about protecting the cable/installation.
Barely legal but not good practice.

But perfectly safe.

simple answer is:
yes it will work ut you shouldnt do it..

anything connected to the new socket will not be protected...
your cooker will be on at least a 30amp circuit....

Just be careful lol, isolate then test its isolated.

To be honest it might not meet regulations if you downsize the cable, but I cannot see why not if you use common sense and take a small amount of 6mm cable and feed a spur then go down to 2.5mm cable.

The only problem you can see is that if you take a 2.5mm cable from the 6mm t&E outlet... then you have the potential to allow 40 amps (if you have a 40amp mcb or breaker) to run along the 2.5mm cable if a fault arose... which would burn it to pieces as 2.5mm is only rated at 24 amps clipped directly but will never meet that with even 1 meter of insulation.

I do not see a problem if you can take a small amount of 6mm take that to a fuse spur and then drop the load side down to 2.5mm... this way your 13amp fuse is protecting the 2.5mm.

However, should you have a normal 12amp cooker just running from this you could drop down the MCB to say 20 amp then you could use the 2.5mm directly, but you would also need to check the way you install the cable to make sure it will meet regulations lol... regs for everything ;)

Sounds like a radial to me, but someone else might not like it lol.

Mickie

Sounds like a radial to me, but someone else might not like it lol.
Mickie

It is, a design radial.
The 40A MCB protects the 6mm feed to the FCU,the 13A FCU protects the 2.5mm to the socket (from the load side of the FCU of course).Its all safe and infact legal but not best practice.

As I said if its not for the hob or extract fan, forget it. Spur a cable down from upstairs, even if you have to use trunking until you redecorate then you can bury it (dont forget 50mm depth / mechanical protection reg tho lol)

Last edited:
Run a extension from one of your plug sockets and hide the wire the best way you can where no one can see it, or put the wire in trunking. that is your safest bet.

Back