Cams on Dreambox

fezzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I,m back again.

I have not set up a network yet , that will come in time . I noticed in some of the stickies
that the software cams are downloaded via network ? Right or Wrong ? Or can cams be
downloaded from forums etc and be loaded manually ? If so how ?

There is so much to learn that i,m just having a couple of hours a day , as anymore
and my head will be Kn*ckered.

Fezzy. : multi :

Most images (Gemini, Nabilo, etc) have their own download sites. So if your receiver is connected to a router you'll have access to the internet and you can download emu, games, plugins, etc. You do this by going to the Addons menu, whereever it is on the image, usually Blue or another coloured button.

If your box isn't connect to the net, you can manually install emu, plugins, games, etc via the Manual Addons menu.

You should have a file with the extention tar.bz2, tar.gz, tbz2, etc. Copy this file to the /tmp folder on the receiver and install it from the Manual Addons menu.

Have a look here for an emu.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=143155&page=3

Cheers Devilfish

The problem i have at the moment, is that my Multi - Sat connections are downstairs
and my P.C. is upstairs , so you can see why i,m not networked yet, only got the Dream
yesterday. I have a wireless router which i have got connected via cable to my pc and i have a remote addon which is also not connected. Would i be correct in saying that if i set up the remote and plug it into the usb on the Dreambox , this would connect me to my
router and i would be networked? ( never played with n: multi :etworks before ) If that was so
it would mean no more disconnecting the reciever ( any ) and carrying it upstairs.

Fezzy.: multi :

I don't think you will get ethernet capabilites via the usb port. It would need to be the actual ethernet port, I may be wrong though.

You will need to get a wireless ethernet bridge or wireless gaming adapter.

There's a few on ebay at the moment, linksys and netgear.

Or a 15mtr cable lol

.....Would i be correct in saying that if i set up the remote and plug it into the usb on the Dreambox , this would connect me to my
router and i would be networked?.....
Nope, it is not correct and it will not work. Devilfish is correct you will need to use the ethernet port on the dreambox and connect it by wire into your router, or into an ethernet wireless bridge device as suggested.

i was just thinking...... do you have a telephone point downstairs near the dreambox? If so you could first make your pc work wireless, then move the broadband router downstairs, plug the dreambox direct into that -networked, nice n easy. :)

Good thread...Ive been wondering about connecting a wireless ethernet gaming adapter to my DB..do they work okay?

Mines is a Belkin G wireless router and the Belkin ethernet gaming adapter costs around £40...is it a worthwhile investment?

Regards, Tam.

Just had another thought...Ive got a wireless laptop it also has an ethernet connection on it...isnt that the same principal as the wireless ethernet adapter? Do you think I could set up a wireless network thingy and the DB could access the internet through the lappy? Or am I talking rubbish again..

Nice one Pinky

Good idea, i,ll connect direct to the D.B. and then to the pc, not tonight though - HI - HO
its off to work i go.

Fezzy

There's the donkey approach I've taken to in my laziness ...
As you don't need to have a signal to download and config the CAMs
Unplug the DB from sat, take it upstairs, plug it into the router, download the cams etc. and do the appropriate FTP and TELNET to config, then take it downstairs and plug back into sat.

Might help as a last resort.

yeah but really what is the point of using a dreambox without a network? May as well stick with a technomate -its a box that clears the channels, easier and friendlier to use, more stable, but has no network....
I understand temporary solutions to get going but really you just have to face facts, a dreambox needs a working network and that is number 1 priority. :)

I think Pinky is right

I was alright doing my patches and softcams upstairs when i was using my TM8 1500
but with the dream , its got to be a no go. Anyway i have a few options which i,m
looking at, one of them being, to run a cable from the tv in front room on the outside of
house to the side bedroom where my pc is, and this would not be a permanent solution
but would get me up and running for now. In the long run it could be wireless. Any way
got another little problem, on my tp usb wireless link, so off to the pc forum.

fezzy.: multi :

Definitely, networked is the way to go.

I'm also in the position where my set-up is incomplete, so I was suggesting a means of allowing you to try the CAM route before you're all networked up.

i was just thinking...... do you have a telephone point downstairs near the dreambox? If so you could first make your pc work wireless, then move the broadband router downstairs, plug the dreambox direct into that -networked, nice n easy. :)

Cheers Pinky...good thinking...got it all up and running today..:banana:

Just had another thought...Ive got a wireless laptop it also has an ethernet connection on it...isnt that the same principal as the wireless ethernet adapter? Do you think I could set up a wireless network thingy and the DB could access the internet through the lappy? Or am I talking rubbish again..
Not talking rubbish.... BUT the laptop would need to run router software so that it routes wireless to ethernet and ethernet to wireless.

Amnesiac
I have a Diablo Cam which works great on the Dream , but i,d still like to have the
softcams working. Devilfish has gave me loads of help and i thank him very much
for that, but i,m still having problems, but we will soldier on.
As for networking , i,ve sorted that out for now. All the connections i need are
upatairs except for the sat cable, so when needed, i put a fly lead on from down
to up. I,ll find a more permanent solution after xmas , as we are decorating the
whole house, so there will be plenty of knocking out and filling to do on the walls.
Fezzy.: multi :

Back