Cable modem n00b

Trancemaster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been around for a while now, used this forum to help get myself setup with first a Dbox and then a Dreambox and am now looking to get something "extra" from Virgin's broadband service. Been looking at some guides and stuff and I think I'm starting to get my head around the whole idea but have a few questions.

Firstly, I'm in an ex C&W area, on the "Bromley" platform. Most guides indicate that I need either a Euro DOCSIS compliant Surfboard or an Ambit 200, but my subbed modem is an Ambit 250. Could I not just get another one of these and flash it?

Further questions coming once I get a modem and start playing!

Thanks in advance.

surfboard is the better one to get ..you can get lots of advice here for them
you can use a ambit 250 ..easy to flash once you hav all the programs but its seem's 250 are having probs at the moment in some area's mainly in stoke
i would go with the surfboard 4200e ...alot more stable if you ask me

Thanks for the quick reply mate. Any idea where to get one from? Been checking ebay and it seems to mostly be 200/250s on there. Anywhere else I should be looking?

they seen to be like rocking horse poo at the moment what with all the hassel with 250's...
it may not be the any trouble in your area with the 250's carnt really say untill you try ..there may be someone on here who can help you more with them .....
..but ..i would say ebay for your surfboard

You could try a PM to ramraider as I think he is in Derby.
You could ask him what modem he uses and if he has any probs lately.
Also could be handy for trading macs with, if you are in different ubr's.
I think he is on derb5-0-0
To find out what you are on look here http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ip_checker.php

Curly

Last edited by a moderator:
out of topic i done a mates one in excw area essex waltham abbey we had no problems.. so not all areas are effected as a member said above...

i would stay clear of the 250's, simple as pie to set up, but if they not fooking up in your area, likelyhood is they will be soon. ive already bricked one coz it annoyed me that much. plus they are knockoffs whereas a motorola surfboard can be purchased from places like amazon also.

out of topic i done a mates one in excw area essex waltham abbey we had no problems.. so not all areas are effected as a member said above...

where did i say all area's ..i said carn't tell unless you try.....

surfboard is the better one to get ..you can get lots of advice here for them
you can use a ambit 250 ..easy to flash once you hav all the programs but its seem's 250 are having probs at the moment in some area's mainly in stoke
i would go with the surfboard 4200e ...alot more stable if you ask me

I can vouch for the 250's having issues in stoke mate LOL !!!

It's doing my head in :Kickassro

Back