Cable Connection

kinesis

Inactive User
Reaction score
This might seem a very dumb question. I have been using a cable modem in my bedroom for a few years. Recently I had CableTV activated by virginmedia downstairs in my living room, which also had the white cable box. Currently i'm using the starview box downstairs. The engineer had to phone the tech department to activate it, so does this mean my bedroom white cable box is active for TV now or do I have to call virginmedia to have that activated so that I can use a dreambox 2025 in my bedroom?

Charlie and Beady, thanks for the clarification. This leads me onto the issue of splitters and boosters, which i've read a fair about on the forum, can you guys clarify if this splitter is of any good quality:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230218994034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Or would I need something else?

And what about this booster:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260208473210&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Am I barking up the wrong alley, if I am could you give me some pointers on ebay.

Will using splitters/boosters effect my broadband in way what so ever, or is it the TV side of things that need the asistance?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Devilfish, yes I want to use the the white box on the wall in my bedroom which has only been ever used for broadband upto now, are there any better quality splitters than the above, reason why I ask I don't want to skimp on the split quality.
Thanks again

Thanks Devilfish, I'll ring them on monday and order one and ask them if they'll supply the cabling too, like the one on ebay.

Be careful here, m8. If your cable digibox and cable modem are going to be in the same room off a splitter, then make sure that the co-ax run from splitter to modem is a good 2 to 3m long, even if coiled-up.

Otherwise, it could interfere with your digi TV reception, if the modem is too close to the splitter. Cheers- AL

Hi PaphosAL, thanks for that tip, upto now my modem has been almost next the white box, so would 3m be sufficient or more would be better coiled-up?

Or would adding the booster mentioned above stop the interference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have a live feed down your cable you can with the right equipment access all the cable features

This might seem a very dumb question.
No such thing. A dreambox will work fine (provided your signal is strong enough). There's nothing to 'activate' for TV. Think of the TV as being broadcast down the cable. Everyone receives the all the channels, even if you've just got a modem. To watch them, you just need a box that can decrypt them. So when virgin 'activated' your box, all they did was set it up so it was able to decrypt the broadcasts. Hope this answers your question.

Those items on ebay are ideal.

But you may not need a booster. Everyones signal strength is different, I have mine split 3 times and my dreambox is fine on the end of it, dreambox downstairs is spot on and broadband isn't affected.

Leave the booster for now, if you think you're having signal strength problems, then get a booster but try it out first.

Thanks Devilfish, yes I want to use the the white box on the wall in my bedroom which has only been ever used for broadband upto now, are there any better quality splitters than the above, reason why I ask I don't want to skimp on the split quality.
Thanks again

Be careful here, m8. If your cable digibox and cable modem are going to be in the same room off a splitter, then make sure that the co-ax run from splitter to modem is a good 2 to 3m long, even if coiled-up.

Otherwise, it could interfere with your digi TV reception, if the modem is too close to the splitter. Cheers- AL

As said above, ever since you have had BB you have had the tv services at the end of your cable!

I get my splitters from maplins, done a few installs and got no problems!

Back