Brand New Sunray Solo2 - Advice needed regarding flashing images etc

goot

DW Member
Reaction score
Sunray Vu+ Solo2 Receiver with USB-V2.0 Encryption System - Delivered from China last week, Sunray v2 sticker on rear.

Friend wants me to upgrade the above box (it's still sealed in it's box!) Having spent the past couple of days researching the device, I'm now confused and dare I say scared to flash it! The lack of information on these clones variants other than on this forum is worrying, given the length of time they've been available.

So a "couple" of questions which I hope someone can offer some clarification for the Sunray Solo2:-

1. Can this box run original images? I'm currently only interested in Vix Apollo and will be turning off software updates.

2. If yes to original images, what is the latest "safe" Vix build I can install without bricking it?
Are we talking pre-kernel changes, so therefore ViX Apollo 024? Or is this box "safe" on the current kernel with disabled software updates?

3. On VU-HD.com website the UPGRADE TOOLS_xxx - I'm guessing is the FPGA / Bootloader updates etc for VU Solo2 clones.
Am I correct in assuming this is board manufacturer dependant or are they generic for all? Again, lack of any information on the VU-HD website (unless it's mentioned in the download)? Can I run this "v4 update" on the Sunray Solo2?

4. If the VU-HD.com upgrade tools are not suitable for Solo2, what are (if any) updates available for Sunray Solo2?
What software upgrade tools are available for Sunray Solo2? It's got an RS232 port and USB service port but only came with a USB cable. However I do have my RS232 cable from a VU+ Duo clone assuming RS232 updates are possible? Information is sparse to say the least!

5. As the above upgrade tool makes a Solo2 clone box V4, what is the new Sunray Solo2 classed as in it's current form? Or does Sunray have a different upgrade path?

6. VU-HD.com website has Vix Apollo 029 available for download for VU+ Solo2 which I assume is clone friendly. Can I install this on the Sunray Solo2?

7. Can I knowingly brick the Sunray Solo2 v2 in it's current form? The chinese websites claim it's got anti-bricking / anti-driver timebomb measures built in. I realise any anti-bricking measures are only relevant for the time it was released and may require further upgrades to counteract any new anti-clone attempts, what does the current claim mean? Is it going to brick the box requiring flash chip change on the latest images, or is it going to just refuse to boot BUT can easily be recovered by simply reflashing an image?

Sorry for the all the questions, it's like the first day I got a VU+ Duo. I was scared to do anything with it, however at least I knew I couldn't kill it, it would just refuse to boot sticking on starting.....

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards
Goot :)

I have this exact same Sunray and can confirm that it's safe to flash original images upto 24 (ie before Kernel/drivers update). I have not tried any original images after this version to be on safe side so I can't, as yet, comment whether it's still safe.

I think, but could be wrong, that the vu-hd website is purely based on the other types of solo2 clones that suffered from the clone bomb whereas the Sunray didn't (for whatever reason it was). Therefore, I would be cautious about using that site until someone could confirm it's okay to use.

TBH, since the kernel/drivers update Vix (and probably other images) have had to make many updates to fix bugs so it may be best to stick with 24 until fixes/bugs are sorted.

I wouldn't risk trying to brick it because it's unknown whether it can be recovered easily or whether a new flash chip would be needed and soldered like the other solo2 clones.

I have this exact same Sunray and can confirm that it's safe to flash original images upto 24 (ie before Kernel/drivers update). I have not tried any original images after this version to be on safe side so I can't, as yet, comment whether it's still safe.

Thanks ketmp. That gives me a starting block. Lets hope we can get some more feedback on my original questions from others as it may help others out there.

I'm not prepared to brick the device as it's not mine, especially as the recovery procedures (if any!) aren't currently proven to work.
If I like the device (I may get myself one to replace the VU+ Duo)

Goot :)

3. On VU-HD.com website the UPGRADE TOOLS_xxx - I'm guessing is the FPGA / Bootloader updates etc for VU Solo2 clones.
Am I correct in assuming this is board manufacturer dependant or are they generic for all? Again, lack of any information on the VU-HD website (unless it's mentioned in the download)? Can I run this "v4 update" on the Sunray Solo2?

4. If the VU-HD.com upgrade tools are not suitable for Solo2

Forgot to mention that Lombard has already answered this question on another thread. The answer was NO - UPGRADE tools from VU-HD.com are NOT suitable for Sunray.

I will get in contact with a Chinese supplier to ask about recovery/upgrade tools. Not keeping my hopes up but you never know!! :)

I thought the sunray version had its own recovery method, no need to replace flash chip ? it advertises many , i thought wouldnt matter if updated and bricked, it could be recovered with chip change !

2. Add a SERVICE interface, which used to upgrade the encryption chip directly through the USB port(The newest Sunray SOLO2 only)
- 3. Support re-flash boot program through flash software(The newest Sunray SOLO2 only)
- 4. Support newest software(IMG), newest boot program
- 5. FPGA with an exclusive upgrade program(The newest Sunray SOLO2 only)

I thought the sunray version had its own recovery method, no need to replace flash chip ? it advertises many , i thought wouldnt matter if updated and bricked, it could be recovered with chip change !...
It does state all this but to the best of my knowledge nobody knows whether it's true.

That maybe because possibly nobody has managed to brick it yet to have a need to re-flash it.

I believe the main site for sunray is
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
but no one really posts in the VU section, it's mostly the DM sections (ie for sim2 team).

I thought the sunray version had its own recovery method

According to all the Chinese sellers ads it does. However, I can't find any actual proof or anyone that has actually used it and confirmed it works. Call me nervous, but I don't fancy trying it on a mates box as I'll be the one who will have to fix it / get it repaired. If someone confirms it works and can guarantee I can recover without a chip change, then I'll happily flash it with XY and Z.

Chinese seller has so far pointed me to VU-HD.com and the update tools. That worries me, if you're saying the update tools on that site are not for this box.

Working in IT Support, I take what sales people say with a pinch of salt, and sadly don't trust what are Chinese (sales) friends have so far directed me to....

I believe the main site for sunray is
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
but no one really posts in the VU section

Yes, that's the site and what I researched prior to joining this forum. My conclusion was it was an useful as a chocolate fireguard! :(
At least with the VU+ Duo clones, they all appeared to be clones of a "certain Italian sports car manufacturer" and recovery was a doddle :)

According to all the Chinese sellers ads it does. However, I can't find any actual proof or anyone that has actually used it and confirmed it works. Call me nervous, but I don't fancy trying it on a mates box as I'll be the one who will have to fix it / get it repaired. If someone confirms it works and can guarantee I can recover without a chip change, then I'll happily flash it with XY and Z.

Chinese seller has so far pointed me to VU-HD.com and the update tools. That worries me, if you're saying the update tools on that site are not for this box.

Working in IT Support, I take what sales people say with a pinch of salt, and sadly don't trust what are Chinese (sales) friends have so far directed me to....

i aint 100% sure about sunray never owned one, but someone posted

Originally Posted by manuer View Post
I bought it from Dragonworth for a little over 2 weeks ago_On the inside of the box says that it is produced 18.05.2014, and Yes I have run UPDADE TOOLS_20140906, but just so pissed off I had a dead box, so I had to go with a new flash chip that I had 3 of.

As you might be able to see, so is the flash mounted on an own printbord.

i myself have a vu solo2 mini se , which is running latest official image, and have flashed bootloader via com port quite easily, but time to test will be when next time bomb is done and then seeing if it really works

I took a chance and tried to upgrade to 37 (current latest) and it stopped at boot 99. As this could have been a bad flash I re-downloaded again and it yet again failed booting at boot 99.

I downloaded 36 version and it also failed to boot fully.

Taken that as a warning sign I went back to 24 backup I made and it's working fine again.

I could be wrong but I'm assuming that the sunray anti-clone measure (ie noticed the kernel/drivers change) stopped it from fully booting to prevent the clone bomb doing it's job.

the solo2 se even with old update tool, latest image booted up but stuck on boot screen and icon keep loading, with network cable connected without it it works, tried then updated using latest update tool and latest images work with network cable connected,

i wanted to really brick it when it stays blank and no usb power, so could try flashing bootloader via com as its claimed so then could see it working or not, maybe in time will see

the solo2 se even with old update tool, latest image booted up but stuck on boot screen and icon keep loading, with network cable connected without it it works, tried then updated using latest update tool and latest images work with network cable connected,
I unplugged the network cable allowed the box to boot up fully (which it did), connected network cable then did an online update and it still refuses to bootup fully when network cable installed.

Is this a known problem?

I unplugged the network cable allowed the box to boot up fully (which it did), connected network cable then did an online update and it still refuses to bootup fully when network cable installed.

Is this a known problem?

anti clone measure i believe

anti clone measure i believe
Thanks.

Gone back to 24 and it's booting fine again.

I've just tried registering on dreamoem website and I get image verification error due to server. This was after it tried for a few minutes to register.

Could someone who is already a member of that forum possibly ask if there is going to be any support for the new kernel/drivers like Lonrison are supporting their boxes with flash updates.

That's positive feedback, you don't have a bricked box and can revert back to an older image therefore reducing the risk factor somewhat.
OK, whilst I haven't touched my friends box yet, I have been doing some further research.

I have limited knowledge of doing a driver swap with VU+ Duo clone but gave up many months ago when using the Ferrari images as they allowed online updates, but never had the time to find out how. I'm assuming this is what people have been referring to as protecting the drivers? Something to do with issuing a telnet command to the drivers folder / driver files? If anyone finds the command before me, let me know! I guess by protecting the drivers it theoretically allows online updates whilst keeping the old drivers intact (I'm dismissing the anti-clone issues at the moment as in theory we have some "protection").

Looking back at the openvix changelogs, the last known major image revision was Apollo 025/026 which requires a complete reflash with no backup. All builds after this can be online updated. So, we in theory need to find a clone friendly build after this. VU-HD claims to have Apollo 029 (which so far keeps failing to download - I get to 4% then just sits there).

I'm thinking try the VU-HD Apollo 029 build and see if it boots on the Sunray Solo2. If it does then backup the drivers in the image and attempt an update:

1. Attempt online software update. If no update available / feeds down then do an online update via telnet. Reboot. If box boots up success, I would suspect the driver version would be the same (note date will likely change on the box info menu).

2. If the above failed, flash build 029 again then attempt online update via telnet (from VU-HD build 029) but don't issue command to reboot box. Check to see if driver version has changed. If it has, driver swap via FTP etc and then issue reboot. If the box fails to boot at this stage then it looks like we need either a patched driver or an update to act like V4 update tools.

5th attempt to download build 029 off VU-HD and it's still failing at 4% (49min, 5sec remaining)...

I think that makes sense!

That's positive feedback, you don't have a bricked box and can revert back to an older image therefore reducing the risk factor somewhat.
OK, whilst I haven't touched my friends box yet, I have been doing some further research.

I have limited knowledge of doing a driver swap with VU+ Duo clone but gave up many months ago when using the Ferrari images as they allowed online updates, but never had the time to find out how. I'm assuming this is what people have been referring to as protecting the drivers? Something to do with issuing a telnet command to the drivers folder / driver files? If anyone finds the command before me, let me know! I guess by protecting the drivers it theoretically allows online updates whilst keeping the old drivers intact (I'm dismissing the anti-clone issues at the moment as in theory we have some "protection").

Looking back at the openvix changelogs, the last known major image revision was Apollo 025/026 which requires a complete reflash with no backup. All builds after this can be online updated. So, we in theory need to find a clone friendly build after this. VU-HD claims to have Apollo 029 (which so far keeps failing to download - I get to 4% then just sits there).

I'm thinking try the VU-HD Apollo 029 build and see if it boots on the Sunray Solo2. If it does then backup the drivers in the image and attempt an update:

1. Attempt online software update. If no update available / feeds down then do an online update via telnet. Reboot. If box boots up success, I would suspect the driver version would be the same (note date will likely change on the box info menu).

2. If the above failed, flash build 029 again then attempt online update via telnet (from VU-HD build 029) but don't issue command to reboot box. Check to see if driver version has changed. If it has, driver swap via FTP etc and then issue reboot. If the box fails to boot at this stage then it looks like we need either a patched driver or an update to act like V4 update tools.

5th attempt to download build 029 off VU-HD and it's still failing at 4% (49min, 5sec remaining)...

I think that makes sense!

the telnet command to the drivers folder / driver files doesnt work, when new drivers came out / kernel change still bricked box,

VU-HD Apollo 029 build and see if it boots on the Sunray Solo2 , this doesnt work on Sunray someone else posted gets stuck , it only works on lornisun what ever its called after using the
UPDADE TOOLS_20140906 , it also takes latest official build 37 apollo, i wouldn't use it unless there is a easy recovery as you never know what they will do or have done

no point getting apollo build 29 , the feeds dont work anyway unless you use the feeds files from build 32 then will work just ftp the files over, , also you need a clean reflash to get build 32, yes vix just keep changing which is alot of trouble doing especially when they do it every week or so

...no point getting apollo build 29 , the feeds dont work anyway unless you use the feeds files from build 32 then will work just ftp the files over...
Would copying feed files from another build and ftp the files over still work with 24? If so, could you point us in the right direction of where I can get the feed files from and where to ftp to?

Thanks

@goot,

If I were you I would just install 24 and turn off updates.

I have no problems with 24 and have it setup to closely mimic $ky as is possible (thanks to BlueHD skin).

I was only wanting to update just for the sake of updating lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only wanting to update just for the sake of updating lol.

Snap! Whilst it may look like we've hit a dead end (for now), I'll be actively trying to update one way or another. I'm not one to give up easily :)

Back