Bought a Recession busting Car for the wife!

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
Having just got rid of my wifes (alive with technology and more to go wrong) picasso.
Cheap and nasty build quality and depeciate off the face of the planet.
The other main reason for changing was in an effort to save money on running costs, insurance, car tax etc.
Sold the 02 plate picasso for £2400 private and scraped together some savings to put towards a replacement .
After much searching we found a 5dr 04 Nissan Micra 1.5dci with air con for £3150 private sale.
HPI cleared and passed an indipendant inspection with flying colours.
Imaculate inside and out (Bargain!).

Anyway it costs £35 a year to tax, returns 55/60mpg around town and 70mpg on a motorway.
She has been driving it for 2 weeks around town and waiting for the fuel guage to move off full.
Only Group 2 insurance!
Service interval is every 2yrs or 20,000 miles.
It shares the same engine and gearbox as the clio dci.
For a small car it can overtake with ease , handles ok , with very little body roll.
The mrs & kids love it ( secretly i like it too, but dont tell the mrs).

So if your in the market for a Small, cheap to run and own city car ,then Maybee consider a Nissan Micra Dci.
The bug eyed lights and styling are not to everyones taste , but something a little different from the rest of the crowd.

i wrote off teh 1.2 version lol

just watch the brakes in it mate, mines failed just before it was due its 1st mot

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Having just got rid of my wifes (alive with technology and more to go wrong) picasso.
Cheap and nasty build quality and depeciate off the face of the planet.
The other main reason for changing was in an effort to save money on running costs, insurance, car tax etc.
Sold the 02 plate picasso for £2400 private and scraped together some savings to put towards a replacement .
After much searching we found a 5dr 04 Nissan Micra 1.5dci with air con for £3150 private sale.
HPI cleared and passed an indipendant inspection with flying colours.
Imaculate inside and out (Bargain!).

Anyway it costs £35 a year to tax, returns 55/60mpg around town and 70mpg on a motorway.
She has been driving it for 2 weeks around town and waiting for the fuel guage to move off full.
Only Group 2 insurance!
Service interval is every 2yrs or 20,000 miles.
It shares the same engine and gearbox as the clio dci.
For a small car it can overtake with ease , handles ok , with very little body roll.
The mrs & kids love it ( secretly i like it too, but dont tell the mrs).

So if your in the market for a Small, cheap to run and own city car ,then Maybee consider a Nissan Micra Dci.
The bug eyed lights and styling are not to everyones taste , but something a little different from the rest of the crowd.

That's a cracking deal fella and a helluva good choice.
The father in law has one and he swears by it after 3yrs of trouble free driving.
I had my doubts as it shares a lot of components with Renault and i usually wouldn't touch anything French but it certainly proved me wrong.
Nice one mate.

japanese cars have always been reliable and very easy to maintain as well... you've got a very good deal there..

japanese cars have always been reliable and very easy to maintain as well... you've got a very good deal there..

Though technically it's a British car :)

nice one,micra is a good cheap car to run and very reliable,i still see old e reg 1987 micras running around,and the pizza shops lovem for deliverys they run for ever and never seem to breakdown.

Yep I'm a Nissan fan myself.

Although mines is a bit more expensive to run - it's a 350z.....

Im after a micra myself, although the old shape ones. not too keen on the new bubble shaped ones. even the fiesta is really good.

Yep I'm a Nissan fan myself.

Although mines is a bit more expensive to run - it's a 350z.....

The First owner had a 350Z in perl Solar Orange, so he thought that his wifes Micra should have a matching Paint colour.
Must have cost him packet from new, as i have yet to see another Micra in that colour.
To be honest it was the colour that the wife fell in love with.

350Z,Hmmmm, very, very Jealous!!!!!!

Micra's tend to suffer from throttle body problems and the oil filter is a pain to get off , it's so small , but apart from that for a town car they are ideal

you got rid of your rattly picasso and bought a micra you having a giraffe arnt you NO WAY thats like going from a db9 to a rover

:roflmao:

and theres actually people saying good move which makes it even more funny Id rather walk then drive a micra sorry just my opinion you should have kept the picasso

little girls rust buckets

you got rid of your rattly picasso and bought a micra you having a giraffe arnt you NO WAY thats like going from a db9 to a rover

and theres actually people saying good move which makes it even more funny Id rather walk then drive a micra sorry just my opinion you should have kept the picasso

You cant please everyone !
We own 2 Cars , A 52 reg Galaxy TDI which i use to and from work, family holidays, weekend Family car etc (its the main workhorse) and does about 15,000 miles a year.
My wifes car on the other hand only does about 3,500 miles a year and is only a school run car, gets the mrs to and from work (when she is not using the push bike) and the odd bit of shopping.
so from a financial point of view there is no point in running 2 large vehicles.
When we bought the Picasso, we did not own the Galaxy, but a Pug 306HDI Estate.
Not big enough for Holidays etc, as we go Camping.
That and the fact that i'm 6ft 2 i need a car that i can drive without having my Sons knees in my back with the seat back.
Due to the clever use of interior space this something the Micra actually manages!!!!!
The Picasso was the biggest pile of Sh*T we have ever owned, with paint so thin, that just need to show it another car door and its down to the base coat.
The Air con was weak and like driving a grren house on wheels in the summer!
The dash reflects in the windscreen (which is a design flaw).
30mpg out of a 1.6 8v Petrol !!!!!!!!!
Dont get me wrong, the picasso has some clever design features and is aimed at the Family market.
But the build quality and reliability are just not there for that Price.
But to build a car with a trottle that kicks in a High revs without warning is just downright dangerous.
We got the problem sorted in the end, but no thanks to the near useless main dealers .
I have owned Many different makes of Cars and Bikes over the years and i keep coming back to either German Jap Cars, because the build quality and reliabilty is there!
The only part of my Galaxy that is ford is the Blue oval badge.
95% parts are VAG inc TDI engine, and i drive every car i own hard and so far nothing has broke!
Same withan old Nissan Primera i owned and thrashed the living daylight out of it and nothing ever broke or went wrong.
At least i will be laughing all the way to the bank and if i made you smile, then thats great because humour and laughter is what makes the world go round, not money.

Its like going from a db9 to a rover!!!!!
Are you on drugs just now and if so which ones?

He has went from a Communist pile of French junk that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way and depreciates like a ballast balloon to a car with bomb proof reliability, good spec, cheap to run and a proven track record.

Its called being smart in these hard times.

Back