Books

Thanks all,

will take a few names which have been mentioned above and will take it from there

Ive never actually read a book, am more of a news paper(the sun) man and magazines (t3)

but people say i should read.. so i thought ok let me try reading a book..

where the hell do i start, just don't know what to read..
dont want any biography's or anything, just a good book which ill be happy to read..

age wise, am in the 20s so something cool and exciting :)

depends on what you're into - sci-fi? thrillers? fantasy?

I read all sorts but mostly fantasy books e.g. wizards, LOTR etc.

BUT what you must do is to persevere when reading a book as it can take a while to get into it

Reading is supposed to help you with your concentration :)

good luck and well done!

Ive never actually read a book, am more of a news paper(the sun) man and magazines (t3)

but people say i should read.. so i thought ok let me try reading a book..

where the hell do i start, just don't know what to read..
dont want any biography's or anything, just a good book which ill be happy to read..

age wise, am in the 20s so something cool and exciting :)

hey mate, did start reading a book the other week called " the stand " its written by stephen king, have got to say its a good book but its long but have found it very interesting.

HubbleSite - The Telescope - Hubble Essentials - Quick Facts

NASA - Home

Lord of the Rings trilogy is ace, but the silmarillion is a right snore bore!

If you're going to read Lord of the Rings, make sure you read The Hobbit first! It's shorter and is a prequel to LOTR.

hey mate, did start reading a book the other week called " the stand " its written by stephen king, have got to say its a good book but its long but have found it very interesting.

HubbleSite - The Telescope - Hubble Essentials - Quick Facts

NASA - Home

The Stand is one of my favourite Stephen King books, to be honest i stopped reading his stuff a few years back, i don't think his new stuff is nearly as good as his older books.

Only books I read are Biographies, don't understand why you don't want to read them.
Ok some are crap but try reading Gazza's or Sharon Osbourne's well worth the read and written from reality not made up to make money.

What's reality? Ask any policeman, if you ask two witnesses at a scene they will both have seen different things and give different versions of events.

A biography is what someone remembers, their version of events, i'd prefer genuine fiction anyday! :)

So one can assume from that Eva that all that is written is not fact but fiction , none of the information is truthful but is all lies, so therefore all books are not worth reading in the first place.
I still think a biography based on someone's life who has been a major celebrity or a world war veteran is more interesting than any book of fiction.
Would you class the Bible as a work of Fiction or a Biography of Gods Life, Doris Stokes collection of Spiritual Books are they Fact or Fiction.
The end decision is what you like to read yourself and not what others suggest or prefer.

I didn't say everything is lies, what i meant was that everybody has and believes their own version of events, two people could both pass a lie detector test with completely different versions of the same thing, because they both believe what they say is true.

And the bible has been chopped and changed so much over the years god knows what was in it originally. :)

To be honest, people that write biographies are just as likely to be doing it for the money, if not more likely than fiction writers, and how many biographies are actually written by ghost writers and not by the supposed author at all?

Give me a decent novel anyday over a biography!

So one can assume from that Eva that all that is written is not fact but fiction , none of the information is truthful but is all lies, so therefore all books are not worth reading in the first place.
I still think a biography based on someone's life who has been a major celebrity or a world war veteran is more interesting than any book of fiction.
Would you class the Bible as a work of Fiction or a Biography of Gods Life, Doris Stokes collection of Spiritual Books are they Fact or Fiction.
The end decision is what you like to read yourself and not what others suggest or prefer.

I dont think that is what she was saying mate, but opinions are like bumholes mate. Everyone has one. lol

Never read the hobbit, and probably never will to be honest. IMHO I would say the Bible is a work of fiction but not like we think today. I believe that it was written about a great man, who did great things, however I dont believe he was the son of god, and other things too. But thats a whole another thread mate, so wont get into that here.

I have read many biographies, and have to agree some of them are excellent. Mr Nice for instance is one of my favourite books, along with Grass and Mrs Nice and her adventures with Mr Nice.

Ficton are good, because they are not real, and allow you to immerse yourself in another completely different world. As for fiction books being written to make money, ALL books are written to make money, half of the celebs dont even write them themselves, they have ghost writers who write them for them. FFS Katie Price has released like 3 auto's and she is only 30! IMHO you should only release an auto after your like 60 or something, at least then you have had a life, and a story to tell. Money makes the world go round, and publishers are not stupid, they jump on the band wagon just like anyone else.

Last edited:
There is a difference between biography and autobiography.

A biography is a book written about some ones life, it doesn't even have to contain anything by the person themselves, just some one else's account.

An autobiography is written by or on behalf of the person who is the subject of the book, this would be a more accurate book to read.

The bible could be considered as a biography, seeing as it was written by lots of different people and 400 years after Christ died. But there are many books missing (according to the dead sea scrolls) and many many things that are not accurate and lots of inconsistencies, for instance there are 2 lots of the 10 commandments mentioned, both different. It's still a good read though, and so is the Bhagavad-gita, but the Quran is a bit heavy going.

the hobbit
lotr
zodiac (killer, top book)

the guvnor (lenny mclean)

fred and rose (wests)

i have literally hundresd of books, i`m actually get rid of most of them now lol, have a sony ebook reader which is brilliant, fook paying for them, most are availible via torrents, and the odd one i do buy, but very cheap ;)

There is a difference between biography and autobiography.

A biography is a book written about some ones life, it doesn't even have to contain anything by the person themselves, just some one else's account.

An autobiography is written by or on behalf of the person who is the subject of the book, this would be a more accurate book to read.

The bible could be considered as a biography, seeing as it was written by lots of different people and 400 years after Christ died. But there are many books missing (according to the dead sea scrolls) and many many things that are not accurate and lots of inconsistencies, for instance there are 2 lots of the 10 commandments mentioned, both different. It's still a good read though, and so is the Bhagavad-gita, but the Quran is a bit heavy going.

Dude you got 2 brains or something? You know everything about everything, I thought I was a geek, but you have trumped me. I would love to sit down with you in RL and just have a chat about stuff.

Has anyone read a book called A child called it by Dave Pelzer it is a true story by the great man himself Dave. Very sad what abuse that man went through when he was a boy.Great book though

Has anyone read a book called A child called it by Dave Pelzer it is a true story by the great man himself Dave. Very sad what abuse that man went through when he was a boy.Great book though

Aint read it, but am aware of it, there are others by same author too I beleve, all about being in care and abuse. Not my cuppa tbh.

Back