Possible scammer

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My surround sound system is just an ornament. Just over 12 months old and barely used it so put it up on Gumtree and Marketplace. Within 10 minutes I had a reply from A guy wanting to buy it.
He asked for my PayPal address and home address and is contacting a man with a van to collect it. He even asked me to mark the ad as sold which I'm obviously not going to do until it actually has sold.

The alarm bells have started ringing. I gave him my PayPal address and he sent me an email using that address to confirm it. I found that a little strange. I told him Family and Friends but it all sounds a bit iffy to me.

If I hear back from him I'll tell him Bank transfer only. The asking price is £600.
Am I being too cautious?

No, you're not being over-cautious at all. Remember, Paypal ALWAYS takes the side of the buyer in a dispute, genuine or otherwise, and he has 180 days to initiate it. If your buyer wants it that much he can come for it himself and pay with folding stuff.

Cheers Trev. I've just spent a while checking it out and definitely looks like a scam. Doubt I'll hear from him again though. If I were to part with £600 to a private person I would definitely want to check it out before buying.
The alarm didn't sound instantly as with many other items this particular model is practically unobtainable at the moment.

Audio Affair where I bought it from say's on their site that they have many, many backorders to fulfil and are therefore unable to take any orders for it at this time.

Paypal ALWAYS takes the side of the buyer in a dispute, genuine or otherwise...

Not true. I've been using Paypal since it started up in the UK and won disputes as both buyer and seller. If you know what you're doing, take sensible precautions, and be prepared jump through all the hoops, it isn't a problem.

However....you always need to be careful and sniff out the scammers to avoid hassles down the line, and this guy is most definitely to be avoided.

Walk away.

Thought with PayPal if you send money to friends and family, the sender is not covered by PayPal so that would put off scammers straight away ?

Same as Direct Payment to your Bank Account

Thought with PayPal if you send money to friends and family, the sender is not covered by PayPal so that would put off scammers straight away ?

Correct F&F you can't claim it back,
why not ask for cash when the man in van picks it up.

Not sure what the difference in this and if you had sold it on ebay?

Not sure what the difference in this and if you had sold it on ebay?
eBay have an obligation to protect both parties through the protection plans.
When sold privately and if the buyer sent the payment through PayPal as friends and family they would not be covered under PayPal buyer protection money back guarantee.
@chookey Just tell him cash or cleared bank transfer on collection.

Steer clear its a 100% scam, tell him collection only. I've had a bike on Gumtree and Shpock and within 2 minutes offers and the same thing as you.
I asked were are they so we're ever they said I say:
"Your in luck, I'm working/passing near you in a couple of days so I could drop it off cash on collection, send me your details I'll drop it off"

Strange really as no one wants it now

That's why I said F & F when he mentioned PayPal. That'll be why I haven't heard back from him. ;)

Just checked my junk folder, lol.
Here is what he said:

I've made the payment now. PayPal must have sent you the payment confirmation messages to your email xxzxxxxxx which will confirm the payment and tell you how to proceed. Let me know if you received it or have any questions regarding this. Thanks.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:42 AM John Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Ian,

The Guy with the Van just got back to me. Right now everything is set, I gave him your information. He would contact you to schedule a pick up date and time. I also got His Van REG: FX19EXG (For you can confirm when he comes)His name is Nate. But I have a little problem which I am sure you can help me solve. The Van guy wants his money through an Amazon Gift card which I couldn't get due to my present condition(I'm home-bound).

I'll include the £215 he charged me for pick up and delivery to the PayPal payment I'll send to you. You will help me go to any nearest store to purchase the gift card for the Value of £215. I will also include an additional £20 for your time and fuel. I'll be glad if you could be so kind to help me with this. I will complete the payment now and get back to you.
Regards,
John.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM John Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

The van man promised to get back to me later tonight, said he's driving.

I just want to let you know, I definitely want it and I will send the payment latest first thing tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

Can I have your mobile number please?

I have also received a couple of fake PayPal emails. Here's the main one. What do I do now? String him along for a while? report him?

scam1jpg.jpg

have seen this before and just tell him you have given the goods to the guy with the van
reporting will do nothing as its easy to set up new accounts

Back