Bombs 'probably work of Britons'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipoftheline

Banned
Reaction score
Terrorists born or based in the UK were "almost certainly" behind the London bombs, a former Met police chief says.
Suggesting foreign attackers were to blame was "wishful thinking", ex Police Commissioner Lord Stevens told the News of the World.

The search for bodies trapped in train carriages below King's Cross is continuing, with workers facing extremely difficult conditions.

There have been 49 confirmed deaths, with a further 25 people missing.

At least 700 people were injured after three bombs exploded on trains on the London underground during morning rush hour, followed by a further bomb blast on a packed bus.

Training camps

Lord Stevens said it was thought 3,000 British born or based individuals have been trained in al Qaeda camps.

He said that authorities believed that either British individuals who had been through al Qaeda training camps, or others they had trained were most likely to have been the attackers.

He said suggesting people of other nationalities were responsible for the atrocities was "a damaging illusion".
Meanwhile, it is understood the UK's threat assessment has been returned to its highest level, having been lowered soon after the general election.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said: "The raising of the level reflects real concern of another attack in the near future."

Overnight, up to 20,000 people were evacuated from Birmingham city centre during a security alert. The area has now been fully re-opened.

Religious leaders

Services around the country are expected to say prayers for the victims and for relatives and friends involved in searches for loved ones.

A service is to be held at a church near King's Cross station, where more than 20 people lost their lives.

There is still no certainty about the number of people whose bodies remain trapped in wrecked train carriages below King's Cross.

The recovery operation would be a "slow, methodical, meticulous process" in very difficult circumstances, said Deputy Chief Constable Andy Trotter.

There is expected to be a joint response from religious leaders around the UK.

The huge police investigation and forensic examination continues.

Police have said the explosives made were not home-made, but it is still unclear whether it or those who used it came from the UK or abroad, said Gordon Corera.

The police now say the Tube explosions took place within 50 seconds of each other, at 8.50am.

It had earlier been thought there was a wider time between explosions.

'Timing devices'

The synchronisation could suggest bombs used in the attack were triggered by timing devices.

A claim for the attacks has been made in the name of al Qaeda by a group calling itself the Abu Hafs al-Masri brigade.

But caution has been urged over the credibility of the claim.

Police are also involved in one of the UK's biggest searches of CCTV footage to see if there are any clues as to the identity of the bombers.

Families search for the missing

A 24-hour reception centre has been opened at the Queen Mother Sports Centre in Victoria, to help the families of people not seen since the explosions.

Those looking for missing people have been contacting hospitals, as well as taking photos and posters to the four blast sites.

An emergency call centre in London has taken more than 120,000 calls from the public.

Where the blasts happened

Scotland Yard confirmed seven people died in the Liverpool Street explosion, another seven at Edgware Road, a further 13 in the Tavistock Square bus blast and at least 21 at the King's Cross blast. A 49th person died in hospital later.

Of the 700 people hurt, about 69 are being treated in hospital and 15 remain in a critical condition.

A two-minute silence is to be held in memory of those killed at 1200 BST on Thursday.

hxxp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668675.stm

I think that is proberbly the case. Its well documented that many IRA men went through the training camps of Afghanistan so this does seem a likely scenario. It also makes it a scary scenario as if they are UK based they could be living in your street or town. I guess we should all be extra-vigilent over the coming weeks and months. We'll just show them our Britisdh spirit.

My mind`has been full of the events of Thursday, and the more I read that the bombers may be UK citizans the more the feelings of anger grow.
Tell me if this is correct? If the bombers or uk citizens is this a crime of Treason? if so is this crime still punishable by the death penalty??

Apparently 2 of the bomber's from the West Midland's, but I have no clue how they came about it.

bluesboy: There is all sort's of loophole's which Al-Qauda can escape through, and all these militant muslim's have connection's too, so it will be very hard to pin any people.

Watched a programme last night about 25 British Soldiers who joined the Germans in WW2. They were seen as traitors and tried for treason. Sentences were from 10yrs up to the death penalty. We heard recently about 70 British Muslims who went to fight British troops in Iraq. One was in the headlines because of his manc accent he mocked our troops saying he wanted to go back now and claim his giro (he gave up because he would have been killed in any battle). He got off scot free. Them being Muslim would have nothing to do with this of course

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-1427637,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1669637,00.html

shisha said:
should not tarnish all muslims with the same brush

Who's tarnishing them all with the same brush I just think those that fought agains't the British should be tried for treason. If it was white British men who were caught fighting the army they would have been . Do you think its right that Muslims should get off scot free for doing something like that ?

Sao Paulo said:
Them being Muslim would have nothing to do with this of course
The Home Office reports that the majority of the prison population in the UK describe themselves as Anglicans - what are we to deduce from this?

hamba said:
Sao Paulo said:
The Home Office reports that the majority of the prison population in the UK describe themselves as Anglicans - what are we to deduce from this?

I'd deduce that they are locked up for breaking the law what do you deduce about Muslims committing treason and getting away with it ?

What do you deduce from moderate Muslims who talk about Afghanistan and Iraq after a terrorist attack. The terrorists want Islamic states like those

Sao Paulo said:
hamba said:
Sao Paulo said:

I'd deduce that they are locked up for breaking the law what do you deduce about Muslims committing treason and getting away with it ?

What do you deduce from moderate Muslims who talk about Afghanistan and Iraq after a terrorist attack. The terrorists want Islamic states like those

I'm just saying that people can call themselves what they like. A criminal is a criminal - a terrorist is a terrorist.

There are probably more football hooligans who would describe themselves as Britons than there are Muslims in this country who agree in any way with the work of terrorists - should Britain be viewed as a nation of football hooligans?

Very true comments. What surprises me about the media coverage is how few people are mentioning the IRA, and when they are mentioned they are never called Catholic Terroists. All religions can cause problems just by existing. Christians beleive that they are right and that Muslims are wrong. The Muslims beleive the opposite. Hambas last post summed it up. For every extremeist living in the UK there are thousands of normal law abiding people.

TheGoatMonkey said:
Very true comments. What surprises me about the media coverage is how few people are mentioning the IRA, and when they are mentioned they are never called Catholic Terroists.

Do you think it may be that them wanting a united Ireland was nothing really to do with Religion were as al qaeda is. They want a world wide Islamic state

hamba said:
Sao Paulo said:
hamba said:
I'm just saying that people can call themselves what they like. A criminal is a criminal - a terrorist is a terrorist.

There are probably more football hooligans who would describe themselves as Britons than there are Muslims in this country who agree in any way with the work of terrorists - should Britain be viewed as a nation of football hooligans?

well said mate :)

Lord Stevens said it was thought 3,000 British born or based individuals have been trained in al Qaeda camps.

Anyone else see a possible new market for Butlins?

Religion has been the excuse for nearly all wars over the ages, to catogorise any particular religion as a terrorist would be a mistake....

All creeds have their extremists, what counts is the individual groups uniting to condemn terroistic acts and support each other in these times, I have never even spoken or what i mean is known a muslim, I suspect they are the same as I which is a caring parent wanting to get on with everyone and the best for their familly and friends...... the point I am making is I must have spoken to a muslim and they are a part of normal society just like you and I and religion is overlooked

The Irish people are a great bunch, met many and every one has been great......

A terrorist can not be catogorised by nationality or religion....

Times are difficult enough without paramilitary groups acting against civilians whatever the justifications for any acts......

remember this forum is international and prob multi religion based, please be careful not to offend any good friends here....

peace all

Taff

Well said Taff!

I was reading today about how many civilians have been killed in Iraq since that country was invaded. The website http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ reports that number as a minimum of 22787 to a maxim of 25184.
Although it is natural for us to feel more greatly touched by deaths nearer home I can't help but feel a life is a life, a mother a mother, a child a child...

what you all have to rember is that orthodox islam is against blowing ppl up and anything to do with civlians being hurt, what happend was wrong and needs to be sorted, but the question is what is the root off all this shit thats happing?ever though of that , these ppl who blow them selfs up must be so emotinal to do such a thing (islam is against suside bombings). and why is it the area which got bomebed was a arab/ muslim area?thats a bit thick ay? looks like this is the right time for the goverment to into ID cards!!! theres always the consprcy theroys which some times make sence.

terorists have no relgion or land just emotions and choes.

hamba said:
Well said Taff!

I was reading today about how many civilians have been killed in Iraq since that country was invaded. The website http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ reports that number as a minimum of 22787 to a maxim of 25184.
Although it is natural for us to feel more greatly touched by deaths nearer home I can't help but feel a life is a life, a mother a mother, a child a child...
Lots of people keep going on about Iraq wonder why though so anyway I'll repeat too. These attacks started long before Iraq and Afghanistan. They started before even 911 and Saddam killed hundreds of thousands of his own people. Most killings in Iraq now are the idiots following this dam religion too. Why why do so many Muslims keep bringing this up but forget to mention the true facts

@hamba

just remember who is doing these killings in IRAQ, don't blame everything on the British/American involvement. fanatics are killing their own people.

Would you rather have Sadam Hussain back incharge there?

I did not support the intervention in IRAQ I think it was miss guided.

but that is not an excuse for anyone missguided groupe hiding behind religion to attack inocent people of any religion . :FLAG:

I am proud to be ENLGISH as others are proud to be of other nations.
But if I choose to go and live in another country I live by the standards and respect there religious beliefs.

I do not try to attack the country that is then protecting and providing for me.

This is a democracy, no one forces anyone to live here If they donot like how life is run here, then vote the Government out of office or leave for a country that you do support,

but do not resort to violence and attack inocent people giong about ther normal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back