Bottle of almost 100-year-old whisky sells for £2.1M at auction

Oggiman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Macallan Adami 1926 sold during a bidding war at Sotheby's in London on Saturday, marking the most that has ever been paid for a bottle of wine or spirits in an auction house.

Only 40 bottles of the whisky were ever produced in 1926, and had been aged in sherry casks for 60 years.Twelve of the bottles, including the one sold on Saturday, had labels designed by Italian artist Valerio Adami. The previous auction record was held by a bottle of Macallan Adami 1926 from the same cask, changing hands for £1.5m.

Head of spirits at Sotheby's, Jonny Fowle, said the sale was "nothing short of momentous for the whisky industry".

The bottle sold on Saturday is the first to have been reconditioned by the distillery before it went to auction, which included replacing the cork and applying fresh glue to the corner of the labels. In total, £2,187,500 was paid for the bottle, which included the buyer's premium on top of the £1.75m sale price.

It was an increase on the estimate of between £750,000 and £1.2m.

Read HERE

I know somone that likes a whiskey every now and then..
Have you been flashing the cash again @chookey 😂
I'm afraid my taste is a little less refined @Kryton 😂 Having recently recovered a greater sense of taste I was enjoying the delights of a snifter or two of JD. Lidl is just 60 yards away from my home and whilst in there I accidentally bought 18 cans of Carling and a bottle of Western Gold bourbon. Or were the tin of plum tomatoes a mistake??
Didn't realise my mistake till I got home so thought I may as well have a drink. Got to the stage where I'm enjoying one Carling and a couple of snifters each night. 😂 Not going to hurt at my age. I am making a drink run to Lidl a little later as it happens.

Following the surgery 4 years ago there were only a few things I could eat or drink. The half bottle of JD in my cupboard stayed there for the 4 years as I couldn't stand it. Still can't stand my old favourite brown sauce or beetroot. But.......my taste took a massive turn a month ago. Eating a much wider range of foods and they all taste great, even beans on toast ffs.
I know why my taste has improved and I think with one more slight tweak the old chookey will almost be back. ;)

@chookey how much is that Bourbon in lidl's down your way ? ,obv we get ripped off for our drink up here but i fancy giving that a try
Not all that cheap really @Tamarc. I think it was £18 with the lesser quality one being £15. I could go down Asda and get a bottle of JD for only a pound extra. To be fair though I do like this Western Gold. I pondered jumping on my wheels and tearing down to Asda to buy the litre of JD @ £28 but the closeness of Lidl and the fact I really like this bourbon swayed me otherwise.

Not all that cheap really @Tamarc. I think it was £18 with the lesser quality one being £15. I could go down Asda and get a bottle of JD for only a pound extra. To be fair though I do like this Western Gold. I pondered jumping on my wheels and tearing down to Asda to buy the litre of JD @ £28 but the closeness of Lidl and the fact I really like this bourbon swayed me otherwise.
JD litre Sainsbury's with nectar card £20 starting tomorrow Nov 22
Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery

Screenshot_2023-11-21-06-11-19-811_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Brilliant, cheers @manic01. It's my goto supermarket so always using my nectar. I have an unused £60 voucher for them as well so can see 3 bottles of nectar coming my way tomorrow ;)
Mumbai electrics been playing with more light switches so went up there this morning. Felt terrible for a couple of hours afterwards so never got to Sainsburys till 1-45pm. The 1L JD shelf was absolutely full of emptiness. I bought 2 x 70cl bottles instead. Nectar price was £19 but could have bought them from Asda for less. The 1 litre would have been a decent saving though.

My Mumbai mate had messed with a triple switch with 1 wired as part of 3 way switching, the 2nd as 2 way switching and the last one as a 1 way for an outside light. The only wires left connected can be seen in the pic. I couldn't get an answer from him regarding the wire link. Bare earth had been sleeved and used as a strapper. All other earths had been cut back so no earth whatsoever and using a metalclad switchplate.

Wasn't happy at all but his whole house wiring is in a similar state.

IMG_20231121_134815.jpg

Back