android or ipad

chadda

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
just about to order an ipad 2 ---- but started looking on the net at android tablets and reviews etc which am sorry i did
advice please chaps what to go for ?

TBH I'd probably avoid the iPad2 primarily because it's on the final journey. Don't get me wrong, I have one and love it but it's old technology.

I'm not over keen on Android but that's a personal thing.

I'm just about to grab an iPad Mini with Retina display.

Like all of these choices though, I'm sure someone will pop up and say "Load of cr*p HH, Android is tops" lol

Android for me. I feel you have more flexibility and not tied down by having an app on your PC to 'manage' the device.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Load of cr*p @Him Her, Android is tops. Honestly.
Google Nexus 7 is brilliant for the money IMHO.
HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Android for me too. More hardware flexibility (IE SD slot for more/removable memory, USB connections, Hdmi connection etc...) with the ipad things like USB slot, Hdmi etc need extra kit at a cost. Plus like for like the ipad is way too expensive for the kit you get.

I would say that most of the apps you can get for both too. but it's a lot easier to download and install (cough, cough) apps on android.

I think you don't really need itunes to connect the ipad to your pc anymore, but apple certainly try to force you to use it.

I have 3 android tablets, and the mrs has one too, over crimbo we were staying with the brother-in-law who's a ifanbouy and has always got the latest ones, and to be honest I wasn't impressed, and he paid at least twice as much as I did for my android tablet.

don't get me wrong tho I think the apple gear is pretty good kit and looks good too (but thats what it's all about for some peeps, the look) but it's way over priced for what you actually get.

Android for me too. More hardware flexibility (IE SD slot for more/removable memory, USB connections, Hdmi connection etc...) with the ipad things like USB slot, Hdmi etc need extra kit at a cost. Plus like for like the ipad is way too expensive for the kit you get.

I would say that most of the apps you can get for both too. but it's a lot easier to download and install (cough, cough) apps on android.

I think you don't really need itunes to connect the ipad to your pc anymore, but apple certainly try to force you to use it.

I have 3 android tablets, and the mrs has one too, over crimbo we were staying with the brother-in-law who's a ifanbouy and has always got the latest ones, and to be honest I wasn't impressed, and he paid at least twice as much as I did for my android tablet.

don't get me wrong tho I think the apple gear is pretty good kit and looks good too (but thats what it's all about for some peeps, the look) but it's way over priced for what you actually get.

Hehehe - told ya so (OP) lol. Anyway, HDMI lead is a tenner on fleabay. You do a good test M8 and pick what suits the best :)

I would say think long and hard they both have their pros and cons ive gone back to android as its just flexible out of the box.Jailbreak is easy to do but if you wanna start straight out of the box then android is your best bet for its openness and flexibility.Another good hint for you guys out there and if you run windows 8 and want a windows 8 tablet/phone then get this app:Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop Solution for Mobile Devices, over 15 Million Users Its prob one of the best apps i have ever used so you can view your pc on your tablet or phone and it runs really smooth and is available on android or apple store.

But anyway my view is android 9/10 apple 6/10

Ive had alot of devices and would always go back to android at the end.

many thanks android it is then so next ---- which one to go for ?

just googled Nexus 7 looks good thanks H but would like a bigger screen

just found this one happyh Amazon.co.uk: Nexus 8

could you tell me the difference ----- Bblack 32GB WIFI ------ Android 4.2 Jellybean

Last edited:
many thanks android it is then so next ---- which one to go for ?

just googled Nexus 7 looks good thanks H but would like a bigger screen

just found this one happyh Amazon.co.uk: Nexus 8

could you tell me the difference ----- Bblack 32GB WIFI ------ Android 4.2 Jellybean

Not got much experience with them mate (put some books & films on my mate's wifes HD) but it didn't seem like a real android tablet. Guess it's Amazon's version but I wasn't impressed. Decent for the money though. If 7" is too small I've got a Nook HD+ 9" I bought 2nd hand from eBay in November I'd recommend. Not mine obviously I'm keeping that :proud: but you'd probably get one similar or cheaper now. My mate's got a Google Nexus 10 but there's a bit of a price hike, great tablet though.
If you're looking for more detailed advice tell us yer budget, min screen size & what you'll be using it for.
HH

Not got much experience with them mate (put some books & films on my mate's wifes HD) but it didn't seem like a real android tablet. Guess it's Amazon's version but I wasn't impressed. Decent for the money though. If 7" is too small I've got a Nook HD+ 9" I bought 2nd hand from eBay in November I'd recommend. Not mine obviously I'm keeping that :proud: but you'd probably get one similar or cheaper now. My mate's got a Google Nexus 10 but there's a bit of a price hike, great tablet though.
If you're looking for more detailed advice tell us yer budget, min screen size & what you'll be using it for.
HH

Hi H budget ?? 250 ------ could do a bit more ------ screen size the wife has a ipad 2 like the screen size --- if pos would like to be able to flash boxes i.e. db vu-duo ect ----- face time not bothered about that cant think of anything else ?

I love the IPAD for sofa browsing :) and the battery lasts ages :)

I do not charge mine for days sometimes, but I am not on it 24/7 though...

Not sure if I agree 100% with @Him Her

I have a Ipad2 and a Ipad4 apart from a little crisper graphics they do the same thing :)

Well it certainly seems so to me anyway... do not notice any speed differences... but you never know newer apps might be made better for the newer models???

Food for thought :)

Mick

Hi H budget ?? 250 ------ could do a bit more ------ screen size the wife has a ipad 2 like the screen size --- if pos would like to be able to flash boxes i.e. db vu-duo ect ----- face time not bothered about that cant think of anything else ?

Not sure about flashing boxes mate, never even thought about using a tablet for that, maybe somebody else can advise?
2nd hand / refurb on ebay you could get an iPad 2 / Nexus 10 for the money. Best to get a hands-on with them both.
I agree with the iPad 2 screen size, feels right in yer hands but just the tied down to Apple puts me off. Smashing piece of kit though. Nexus 10 has more of a landscape feel (less square) but if you like watching movies / youtube??
Not really sure I can help much more mate :Dunce:
HH.

All boils down to personal taste I’ve had a play with cheap arse tablets android, galaxy isn’t bad to be honest runs xbmc good and easy to install no root necessary, if you jailbreak thou like I do , and with the performance personally I don’t think the ipad can be bettered

Ive had hella of alot of tabs in my time and when i say alot i mean alot (roughly around 45) I get many thru swaps and trades and tbh there is two what shine thru for me.The galaxy note 10.1 and nexus 7 they are both brilliant tabs in my eyes but people may have different opinions but for me they both perform well run well and they a really crisp clear screens.They run almost anything and everything and once you have rooted your worlds your oyster.

im gona put my piece in here that may help you sway.
Android - a later android say a nexus with kit kat is probally the best bang for buck your going to get, but if your the type to hold on to something for only a year or two then sell the ipad would be the way to go.
I personally have mac computers, but would never touch a apple mobile device - i dislike the tie downs on the machine, android is far more advance now especially with the newer versions. The ipad has stayed the same other than a few tweeks from day one.
Another thing i love about the android platform is google music - store up to 20,000 tracks instantly viewable over the network. We hammer this on all our android devices including our google tvs.
the ipads are very well built and look nice, much better looking than android devices atm.

Another thing to think of - if your already in android / ios camp the apps you have purchased may be compatible on that platform, so if you have an iphone then you maybe better off with the ipad, likewise if you have an android phone.

just order Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-3-10-1-WiFi-Tablet-16GB some good reviews

Take a note you might find some good deals in the refurbished section of your online apple store

just order Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-3-10-1-WiFi-Tablet-16GB some good reviews
I reckon you would be alright with that one mate the tab 2 10.1 for me was a little sluggish but ive heard they have improved alot with the 3 but its funny as i found the note 2 7" really Nice dunno if it was diffrence in screen size i really don't know.

Back