Ambit 200/250 configuration tool - New release

only thing i know VB suffers with is memory leaks, and more code to do a task. i dont use it myself, but a few of my friends have.

Hihi

Ahh, well, memory leaks depend on your code, the only memory this uses is allocated at the start (and isn't a great deal anyway)

Had to learn VB on a course some years ago, they stuck me with Cobol too although it'll be a cold day in hell before I use that language again

C I prefer but VB seems faster for UI development in windows, never really tried MS VC++ for anything other than the pocketpc, maybe I should have a look at it, lol

Well, if VB does the job, then no need! but of corse, its always nice to learn something new. but if you ask me m8 your doing a brill job!

C# is alot like VB, C++ is a b*tch. you would pic up C# as easy as anything.

Okay, found a rather serious bug

The USB mac setting definitely isn't working correctly on the 250

I'm not sure about the 200, it's only been tested on 1.25, I'll be looking into it and posting a fixed version, I'm being slightly hampered by the lack of a real 250 to test with

The effects of using the tool on anything but a Sigma 1.25 200 are somewhat undefined at the moment, you might be okay, you might not

it's not a modem bricking type problem but it can write data to the wrong area of nvram

Note:

It's safe to use the tool as logn as you hit read mac before you start and don't change the USB one, that way it'll write back the values that are already there and all will be well, I'm working on a fix right now

Last edited:
hi m8 just on a 255 works fine i got 2 more i'll try it on and get back to u... maybe check on ther 200 and see if does work on ther as i dont have a 200 to try it on

Last edited:
Hihi

On the 255 there's no USB anyway but I had someone read the macs on a 250 and they didn't get a result of 00 20 40 DE AD 09 for the USB mac which they should have done, this means it's reading and writing the wrong area of memory, if you have a 250 to hand that you could double check that with it'd be nice but he got something else entirely...

Just reflashing my 200 and going through the various firmwares to make sure all those are okay (although they should be)

It seems my error was in assuming that the offset for MAC 9 from MAC 1 would be constant, apparently it isn't :-(

It's what I get for not testing things thoroughly before release I suppose, lol

Hihi

On the 255 there's no USB anyway but I had someone read the macs on a 250 and they didn't get a result of 00 20 40 DE AD 09 for the USB mac which they should have done, this means it's reading and writing the wrong area of memory, if you have a 250 to hand that you could double check that with it'd be nice but he got something else entirely...

Just reflashing my 200 and going through the various firmwares to make sure all those are okay (although they should be)

It seems my error was in assuming that the offset for MAC 9 from MAC 1 would be constant, apparently it isn't :-(

It's what I get for not testing things thoroughly before release I suppose, lol
hi m8 u can still change usb mac address on the 255 even though a usb port dont exist... i 've just flash 2x 250 and it work on both, i've also try it on my stubborn webstar 2100 which can only be written to if using hyper term and it work on it also so i dont think ther is a problem writing usb mac to any infinite base firmware modems

Hihi

Hmm, my initial testing shows it's fine on the 200s with Sigma 1.25 and 1.28

If it works on the 250 then maybe the 250 just doesn't initialise the USB mac to a sensible value, if so then I am worrying about onthing

I'll check it works on 1.06 and the shelled ambit image on the 200 just to be sure but if those work and you've had it working on the 250 there isn't a problem

---

Oh joy, and I've just discovered another incompatible version of Sigma-X 1.06 (it seems Sigma-X 1.06 and Sigma-X 1.06 final are not the same)

Last edited:
Another release already, lol, 0.96 now

Changes:

Added a sigma 1.06 variant I wasn't aware of to the 200 firmwares (seems there were 1.06 and 1.06 final which are different, if you use that and it wasn't working before then try the non-final one)

Improved the cablemodem terminal, there's now a checkbox you can uncheck to disable logins and you can enter single characters etc. by clicking in the main terminal window and typing them as is the case on most other terminals - This is intended only for entering options for single keypress menus (such as the ones used when flashing firmware), the only editing key I supported is backspace so you'd be wise to use the input box below the main terminal window for most things

Changed the way the mac fields are handled slightly so when you click on one it highlights it, this means the people who weren't happy with the length of time it takes to enter them can at least go like <click> 00 <tab> 11 <tab> 22 <tab> 33 <tab> 44 <tab> 55 to enter them instead of having to delete the current text in each box, this is as far as I go on that issue, lol

not the same in what way? whats different or dont you know.

Hihi

Well obviously I do know unless you think I produce addresses for data out of thin air...

Definitely two different builds with the same version number, in any case, they're both supported which is the important thing ;p

fair enough then, what did they change just out of curiousity, major change or like a bug? and no i dont think you do lol, just wasnt sure if you digged into both versions of the firmware and had a brief look.

Last edited:
Hihi

I'm not sure, they appear to be, one is final and one isn't

Official or not they're out there though, lol

I wonder what other firmwares are lurking about

I noticed one being released earlier, by you actually but suspect that's not for the 200/250/255, I could add support for the 4100 firmwares if I had a 4100 and some firmwares... are there a lot of those about?

fair enough then, what did they change just out of curiousity, major change or like a bug? and no i dont think you do lol, just wasnt sure if you digged into both versions of the firmware and had a brief look.

Ah yeah, sorry if I seemed a bit testy there, I get that way after spending four hours looking for a bug that never existed in the first place -.-

There isnt a whole lot of firmware for 4200 and 4100 i dont think, Well atleast not the "e". i can PM you a link to something that might interest you. And no, that wasnt for the Ambit modems.

No prob m8, know that feeling, especially when your glaring at code for hours.

Last edited:
Ahh, nice one, thanks :p

Will go through there now -.o

No post today of course, now waiting on two 250s, a pokemon mini, 3 NICs, two coax cables, an evolution max (curious handheld) and a brand new boxed gb micro that I won for 19 quid with a game because it's pink and will be searching for a replacement shell for before I even think of letting anyone see it -.o

it's a conspiracy, people just dont' want me to sleep in

I'm going to see if I can get the load balancing working on debian next I think and package it (replacement kernel, scripts etc) so it's just a simple dpkg -i foo.deb then edit a couple of scripts rather than the horrors of kernel patches etc. that's required now

All my kernels on my centos are stripped lol. mines a little out of date now though. 2.6.20, time for a vanilla compile. What kernel version are you using that has load Balancing? Sounds like your having some fun waiting for all that gear. The only scripts and patches i use are polling timers, i got them lying around somewhere on my box. if you want them let me know.

Last edited:
Hihi

Yeah, sort of, lol

I generally use 2.6.x unless there's a reason to use something else, by the looks of this patch I might have to go back to 2.4.x before I can use it, I'll see if it applies cleanly

Have 2 200s setup atm, one on the wireless with a slightly hacked fonera running dd-wrt, other on the linux box for the wired network, want to go from 1 to 3 on there so HTTP downloads, usenet etc. are faster and I don't lose my net connection if one modem fails

If I can't get it to work I might just stick a VMWare machine on each nic and treat it as three servers but that's only if all else fails, lol

Back