Sensible Topic ADVICE - MECHANICS - Windscreen Linkage arms/shafts jammed/arms popped off??

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have not used my van for months due to a ban, i fired her up 4 weeks ago and all was good until i tested the wipers and a linkage arm popped off.

Both shafts that limk to the wipers were jammed/stiff so i freed them up with WD40, put it back together and all working fine.

4 weeks later agian after no use and the exact same happened, moving the wiper arms is very hard/stiff, i tried the repair clips that are supposed to hold the ball/socket together but they just popped off!!

Obviously WD40 is not doing the job. I need to get grease into the shafts.

The arms are stiff now again.

How can i fix this guys? Somehow i need to get some form of grease into the shafts?

Can this be done? I have seen people drill holes in hinges before and injecting grease to fix them.

Has anyone got any experience/ideas on this, how are they reconditioning them, it only takes 10 mins to remove the whole linkage/motor.

Any help/ideas much appreciated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wiper arm linkage.jpg

Not sure if there is a circlip holding it together on the spindle if so remove and see if by twisting it around side to side it comes up and off,if so clean shaft as its rusty and try refitting plastic to see if loose.When loose apply a silicone grease for a lube job on both shafts.

I am assuming shaft is not going sideways as excessive wear has happened and needs a new wiper linkage.

Not sure if there is a circlip holding it together on the spindle if so remove and see if by twisting it around side to side it comes up and off,if so clean shaft as its rusty and try refitting plastic to see if loose.When loose apply a silicone grease for a lube job on both shafts.

I am assuming shaft is not going sideways as excessive wear has happened and needs a new wiper linkage.

I think you are correct, it does look like there is a circlip, it is slightly visible (i will look on Ebay now mate for others and zoom in), how else would they they stay in place?
I have a circlip remover, not sure what you mean by 'refitting plastic' though?

Cheers mate.

Looking at the photo again suggests its the middle bit metal with the ball as the plastic bit is the frame and not moveable.Spindle can go rusty and hard grease makes it tight.

Looking at the photo again suggests its the middle bit metal with the ball as the plastic bit is the frame and not moveable.Spindle can go rusty and hard grease makes it tight.

Yea i joined a Vauxhall forum in the end, the outer is aluminium and the splined shaft is metal so the get stuck/seize.

There is a C clip holding shafts in place, pop it off and hammer the shafts out without damagine the splines for the wipers, clean, grease and refit.

I'll jhave a go later if i get Chance

Cheers

Beware of the hammer or screw your nut on for less damage and rotating the arm at the same time.

Beware of the hammer or screw your nut on for less damage and rotating the arm at the same time.
Always have done that mate, worked in heavy industry for 25 years as a Spark/Elec Eng.
I will be taking down my cousins who has the works (he just rebuilt) a flat 6 911 motor, from top to bottom. He also has a proper electric industrial lift.

Cheers

Back