A/V Amp, HD Projector and 7.1 Speakers!!

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Been down to Richer Sounds and Superfi got a little breakdown, will get the price knocked down but provisionally what do you guys think?

AV AMP
ONKYO TXSR607 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

Onkyo_txsr607_bk_1600.jpg

Or the ONKYO TXNR807 NETWORKED HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

Onkyo-TXNR807_black_front_1400.jpg

Projector

Optoma HD20 Optoma DLP Projector HD20

HD20.jpg

Speakers

Mordaunt Short Alumni System

msalumni.jpg

Mordaunt Short Alumni 2

msalumni2.jpg

The speakers are ok :) I have the older ones and are still fantastic for my needs, the amp I would look at the Denon over the Onkyo, the onkyos run really hot so if you are planning on rack mounting your stuff be care full... whats the prices you have been quoted?

Yeah my onkyo gets quite hot, are they uk tuned ?

But its a great amp they really give amazing sound mate.

My hdmi ports went a little tits up though, and I had to have it repaired (under warranty). Been great ever since :)

I have cheap tannoy speakers, I think the set plus sub was 300 quid, I had to buy an extra 2 for the 7.1 setup myself.

But to be honest my hearing is good but not good enough to notice the difference lol.

Regards
Mickie

Which ever one I get will be sat on a glass stand so heating shouldnt be too much of an issue. I will have a 6' cabinet in the comms room with fans but would prefer to keep it out and on view :D

Think I will go pop in to town and ask for a demo... Price wise the AVR, Projector and Speakers were coming in at under £3k without any discounts.

Check out the data cabinet iv just managed to get! Its a beast!

If you have the funds for the 3310 then yes,
I have a 1910 which was well sort of an upgrade for my old 2802 which is now the case for my HTPC :)

Check AV forums out the classifieds you might get some good deals for some stuff used a couple of times then sold on... never makes sense to me why they do it but hey bargains to be had!

Sweeeet :proud:

It's a bit blue Bally LOL

I would really recommend going to listen to any amp n speakers before purchase, Take a couple of your fav tunes n a movie you know well, I find sound so personal, when your spending real doe a good store will bend over backwards.

Then go look online n get it cheaper!!!! LOL

Sublet me a rack please. I'll pay good rent, honest.

I'd split the budget favouring speakers the most, then the PJ followed by the rest of the gear. Modern budget PJ's are excellent compared to what you would have bought a few years ago and there's very little that differentiates them from higher end machines. Just make sure that the throw works in your room by using this calculator. Check your lens shift requirements if you are unable to centrally mount the HD20.

Are you using HTPC as your main source with downloaded MKV's for playback? If so most of your audio will be DD or DTS 5.1 so try not to go overboard on your receiver.

edit - had a quick look over at AVforums and ebay last night and there seems to be a lot on offer for used speakers. Would you consider an used AVR with new speakers? What's your ballpark budget for these two items?

Last edited:
Sublet me a rack please. I'll pay good rent, honest.

I'd split the budget favouring speakers the most, then the PJ followed by the rest of the gear. Modern budget PJ's are excellent compared to what you would have bought a few years ago and there's very little that differentiates them from higher end machines. Just make sure that the throw works in your room by using this calculator. Check your lens shift requirements if you are unable to centrally mount the HD20.

Are you using HTPC as your main source with downloaded MKV's for playback? If so most of your audio will be DD or DTS 5.1 so try not to go overboard on your receiver.

edit - had a quick look over at AVforums and ebay last night and there seems to be a lot on offer for used speakers. Would you consider an used AVR with new speakers? What's your ballpark budget for these two items?

Yes would consider used AVR and new speakers, doesnt make much difference really other than the warranty. The PJ has 5 year warranty and states on the website if the colour changes within 5 years of use they will replace the bulb for free which arent megaly expensive.

Main source is going to be PS3 connected to PS3 Media Server. For now I am not going to get a dedicated HTPC due to cost.

For AVR and Speakers looking to spend about £1200 which should be reasonable? Then what ever the cost is for the HD20 PJ.

Yes would consider used AVR and new speakers, doesnt make much difference really other than the warranty. The PJ has 5 year warranty and states on the website if the colour changes within 5 years of use they will replace the bulb for free which arent megaly expensive.

Main source is going to be PS3 connected to PS3 Media Server. For now I am not going to get a dedicated HTPC due to cost.

For AVR and Speakers looking to spend about £1200 which should be reasonable? Then what ever the cost is for the HD20 PJ.

At the price, the PJ brand new is a bargain. I'll keep an eye out over at AVforums and the bay for some bargains. It's a shame that you're restricted to the PS3 as it does not have 5.1 analogue outs to take advantage of a much cheaper AVR.

If it were my money I'd go for a SH Pioneer amp for £150, something like the AX5i and spend a grand on some M&K speakers, either way I'll window shop for you and hopefully a bargain comes by.

or £450 should buy you an Arcam AV8 and spend £900 on some nice speakers. Oh decisions decisions..

I would be looking at a dedicated HTPC later on but for now the only spare equipment I have to connect to the PJ is a Slim PS3... Unless I can find a reasonably priced HTPC with full bells and whistles.

Been doing some more reading and think I might pass on the Onkyo AVR and get a DENON AVR2310 and speaker wise possibly looking at the KEF KHT 3005SE 5.1 with 2 additional speakers to make it up to 7.1.

What do you guys think? Will more than likely stick with the HD20 PJ.

I wouldn't change the PJ either as it's received great feedback from the PJ community.

I think the Denon is serious overkill for the Kef's. How many of these features do you need?

A/V Surround Receiver featuring Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD Master Audio, new GUI, 1080p High bit Video processing and picture adjust to have your entertainment world under control
New Features
High bit i/p converter and scaler up to 1080p (Multi-cadence detection for SD and HD video signal / Digital noise reduction and enhancer)
HDMI one cable connection (Analogue Video to HDMI Up conversion) to your HDTV. Click here for a detailed demo.
Dolby Pro Logic IIz processing
5 x HDMI in / 1 x HDMI out (Repeater and Scaler)
Sleep timer function
On-Board GUI via HDMI output
State-of-the-art DENON Solutions
Identical quality and power for all 7 channels, 135W x 7ch (6 ohms)
Stable power supply for high-quality sound and picture playback
Compressed Audio Restorer to enhance digital music files
Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio decoders
DENON’s high picture quality circuitry, to enhance enjoyment of existing DVDs
Connectivity & Future-ready Expandability
Digital Media Connectivity (Can be expanded with DENON ASD-51N or ASD-51W docks for media streaming)
Ease-of-Use
On-Board GUI via HDMI output
Audyssey Dynamic Volume, for real-time volume adjustment
Audyssey MultEQ Auto setup and Room EQ
HDMI and Component Video Conversion
Three Quick Select Buttons
Pre memory remote control unit

Well the kefs are going to cost around £1100ish without discount and then denon around £700 so if I could get 7.1 speakers for around £600-£800 mark I would be happy. My sparky was telling me to go for ceiling speakers.

What do you suggest? I want a nice AVR so will probz stick with the Denon AVR2310

My Kef ceiling speakers were £400
Kef Ci130DS rear speakers
Ci130DS_header.jpg

Fitted
kefceilingspeakers.jpg

Like Munkey has said,check AVforums classifieds,I picked up the above speakers and my PMC's off there

I like the look of them, but wondering for a cinema room whether wall mounted speakers would be better, the reason I am looking for ceiling speakers is the roof is suspended so theres a nice gap.

Going into town today hopefully can pick up a Optoma HD20 for the £800/£850 mark and Denon AVR2310 for £600ish... Dunno what speakers to choose yet!

The reason I went for ceiling speakers is that I don't have anywhere else other than the wall going up the stairs to place them which would have looked odd.

Good luck on the shopping spree&don't forget to haggle!!

Back