A/V Amp, HD Projector and 7.1 Speakers!!

Will you be using the AVR for 2 channel audio as well?

That's a might big room to fill with sound, you're going to need plenty of power :banana:

2 channel audio for party mode if that makes sense? 5.1 only for when watching movies and hd content.

There really isn't much around for in ceiling speakers. AVland have a decent list to browse.

Have you done any reading up on the side effects of have all of the speakers in the ceiling for 2 channel or 5.1? I always like to have my front speakers aimed directly at me or roughly about 30°.

In your situation the most objectionable situation involves the front 3 speakers being in the ceiling. Having the sound downward firing with the speakers mounted on top of the TV and just in front of the PJ will serve no one. If you could possibly steer the speakers towards the listening position or buy speakers where the firing position can be adjusted you may be able to compensate.

Some in-ceiling speakers compensate for this in their design and the way that they radiate sound whilst being downward firing, but you'll have to read up on which speakers work this way.

I have to be honest and say that I do not like the thought of 5 in-ceiling speakers serving all of your audio needs, well not for £3k all in anyways. If you really must go down the in-ceiling route I'll do my best to help though.

Why not buy a pair of cheap in ceiling speakers and test them out? Play them from above and then from in front of you and see what a huge difference it makes.

I have had a demo of the Kef Ci200 and they do sound great, despite being in the ceiling even if your sat 10foot back they dont sound like the a downward firing.

In that case I'll shop around for some in-ceiling speakers too.

When will you be plasterboarding your ceiling, or how long do you have to decide on which speakers you'll be buying?

There's this brand which I really liked and I can't for the life of me remember the name, it'll come back to me, eventually.

Here's a good read on in-ceiling speakers.

Got a few weeks yet but need to decide on positions for wiring. Because if Im going floor standing and wall mounted its going to take a lot longer than ceiling speakers as the ceiling is suspended.

This is the new amp ONKYO TXSR508 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/6437 for details Would this be a better alternative? As I still have a chance to cancel my order for the 507. It just means spending extra £170... Im sure the kefs are the best to get but im not ruling out floor standing with a mixture of ceiling speakers.

So 2 floor standing at front B&W and Centre... Then four Kef Ci 160's for the rears?

Have a read of this as well, some great posts from HT enthusiasts in a simliar position to yourself.

I'll read up on that AVR tonight, although I have a feeling that you won't sleep easy until the 508 is in your arms :)

Whohooo two B&W up fronts with a centre channel would do nicely. Gotta get to work, time to earn some cash to pay for all of this gear!

Got a few new options together see what you think.

Last edited:
For aesthetic purposes and if you want to show some compromise to the wife to be, I'd go for option 3 and keep the surrounds in the ceiling.

If you can get away with it, option 4 will defo sound the best.

Have you heard of XTZ speakers? For the money they represent great value and should be on anyone's shortlist regardless of the budget, check 'em out.

Im liking option 4 too but worried the amp wont be up to the job loving the TX-NR3007 but way out of my budget!!

130 W/Ch at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, IEC
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
High-Current Low-Impedance Drive
H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
Bi-Amping Capability

As long as the power supply inside is a decent one, I don't see any issue's. Most modern amps/avr's have plenty of power to spare. Have you demoed any of the Onkyo gear?

I now have the drawings :grin: and have coloured the areas.

Yellow: is Comms Room.

Orange: is Entrance Zone -Dont know what we going to do here but was thinking of putting the 2 extra rears in each corner on the bay window side.

Green: is Cinema Zone - There is a U shape leather sofa going there but dont know the dimensions... Its this Dali. - Furniture Village - Sofas, Chairs, Beds & Dining Room Furniture going in the middle... They dont show the combination we getting online.

Red: is Bar/Lounge Zone

Blue: is Storage Zone maybe a Mini Gym

I have marked the wall where the projector screen is going and was thinking along the same wall have floor standing in each corner and centre... Behind the sofa have 2 rears then 2 more rears in each corner where the bay window shape is.

Look forward to your responses :Clap:

Plans from Bally? I think I need to sit down before I make any comments...

:santa:

:jumpinghappy2:

:bouncing:

I was waiting to get these before I asked for the 3d drawings.

Yeah what happened to the 3D drawings Bally, 2D is so yesteryear? I'd even ordered some polarised glasses, specially to look at your plans :(

I saw this on ebay, shame it's just a tad too small for your room.

Will you be hanging a fixed screen then? I thought you were going for the pull down option.

Going for fixed screen, the PJ comes with a 82" pull down as part of Optoma Promotion but im going to sell that on ebay.

What do you think to the speaker layout?

Back