A/V Amp, HD Projector and 7.1 Speakers!!

Not buying anything yet going to wait until the end of June but the Denon is a no go again and looks like I will be getting a Onkyo TX NR1007 Black.

So if I say £800 for AVR £800 for PJ thats leaves me about £1900 for Speakers, interconnects and finishings. Giving me a max of budget of £3500 :Yikes:

I thought that the HD20 was around the £500 mark, £800 feels a tad dear considering that the HD65 retailed for appx £500.

I like in wall speakers and am using them for my HT and possibly the loft as well. I'm running M&K SW150's in a 5.1 setup. I may have some SW85's if you're interested but i'll have to have a dig around. Oily's Kef's are very nice and well worth an audition if you decide to go the in wall route.

Why 7.1 and not 5.1 Bally? Very few discs are mastered in 7.1 and the cost of an extra 2 speakers over performance is negligible. The rear speakers have to be placed at a 60 degree offset to the central seating position, can you accommodate this?

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

Where can you get a HD20 for £500 everywhere I have looked it has been £800+ and pretty sure the HD65 is lower spec?

Update: The HD65 is a 720p PJ and the HD20 is 1080p... Speaking to the guy at the shop today he said the same thing about 7.1 he said wire for it but just get 5.1 audio and then add few extra speakers for music etc.

That AVR looks nice, a lot of functionality for the money.

I didn't know the price of the HD20 and I assumed it would be in the ballpark of it younger brother the HD65, both are great projectors though.

Im thinking should I build a quad core linux machine and install ps3 media server... Seeing as the AVR is DLNA compliant im sure it will pick it up nicely?

Possibly go lightweight on the CPU, that bugger will be on a lot of the time and consume power. I've trial run a very old C2D over the past few years and it's handled everything with ease. I think the bottleneck is in the hard drive performance so properly set up RAID in a NAS is where money should be spent on.

It may even be efficient to run a cheap media box alongside a HTPC depending on power/performance needs and how you wish to configure audio and video distribution.

You choice of receiver muddles things somewhat though.

Oh and a diagram would help ;)

Im crap at doing diagrams but have done a quick one to give you an idea of what I have in mind. Remember its not to scale or anything.

Basically looking at the:
MORDAUNT SHORT AVIANO SYSTEM 5.1 + 2 AVIANO 6 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS + Extra AVIANO 7 SUBWOOFER.

96" PJ screen in centre with glass Shelf stand on side for Onkyo TX-NR1007, PS3 Slim and other devices later.

In the middle what you can see is the Dali Sofa Suite from Furniture Village (Combi 3) Plus 2 addtional Swivel Chairs.

Its a massive room approx L:42'xW:16' so want to be able to fill with sound when playing music and having parties. The sofas will simply be moved out the way.

The PJ (Optoma HD20) will be roof mounted 13' away from the Screen.

Do you think the AVR will detect PS3 Media Server as it is DLNA Compliant?

42' long :eek:

If your interested I know someone who can do you a 3D image of your room Bally.Probably cost you a BluRay movie to have done but you'll have to sort that out with him if your interested.
Incidently he's doing one for me with the PJ your getting :proud:
Here's an example of his work:

42' long :eek:

If your interested I know someone who can do you a 3D image of your room Bally.Probably cost you a BluRay movie to have done but you'll have to sort that out with him if your interested.
Incidently he's doing one for me with the PJ your getting :proud:
Here's an example of his work:

That's awesome Oily, I'd have love to have done that for my house.

Bally we know you're shit at diagrams, that's why we keep on asking ;)

Are you going to be placing your rear speakers outside of THX guidelines?
Is it possible to move the speakers or are you happy where they are? It would be nice to have the front speakers away from the front and side walls if possible.
Are you going to be running more than one sub, if so have you considered an IB, that is a rather large room to fill.

Fook the THX guidelines lol I dont know nothing about it but iv got on of their guys coming around on thursday to do proper site survey and go through all the options. As long as I stay within my £3.5k budget I am happy.

Oily iv been dying for someone to do 3d or even 2d drawings for me for ages!! I have them for the basement on A2 paper but wanted something digital. Would mind my bedroom, living/dining room done like that too.

Oily iv been dying for someone to do 3d or even 2d drawings for me for ages!! I have them for the basement on A2 paper but wanted something digital. Would mind my bedroom, living/dining room done like that too.

I'll send you a PM with his email address

Fook the THX guidelines lol

Do you have a professional installer doing the math for you? If not these guidelines are an invaluable source in order to get the best from your setup.

I've used baluns before, they work out expensive or about par with decent HDMI cables unless your runs are over 50'. Plus some need to be powered which is another plug needed.

I bought my 10m HDMI or longer cables from Monoprice in the US and they worked out to appx £35 each delivered.

Last edited:
The shop I will buy the equipment said they will install free of charge so im assuming they will work everything out but I dont want a system for watching just movies, I want a system that will fill the room with music too for parties. So there will have to be some flexibility in any case which throws the thx guidelines out the window.

I am thinking I might get some 15m hdmi cables for the bedrooms so I can feed them in the wall to tv to pc using faceplates... Would that work?

I've tested the 50' monoprice cable that I bought and it worded fine for 1080p. Either buy really good cables if longer than 10m or use those HDMI baluns, both methods will work just fine.

As your setup is for both music and movies I'd ask the installers to bring over a dedicated 2 channel amp so that you can compare it against your Denon AVR, but more importantly ask them to bring over different speakers for you to try in your home environment. This way you get to see what a huge difference speakers make and the negligible differences between different AVR's and power amps.

Guys looking at the Onkyo TX-SR507B as its only £179.99 at Amazon!! What you think? I know its a hell of alot cheaper compared to the TX-NR1007 but apprantly thats now being discontinued and the money I save on the amp I can possibly spend on decent ceiling speakers!

Is there a major difference between the two?

That amp looks very cheap if you can pick one up for £180. Remember it's only 5.1 though, as you mentioned you were going for a 7.1 setup.

Why in wall speakers, are you restricted for space or are aesthetics important in the home cinema?

I like SVS and BK subs, are any in your price range? Used SB12's go for around £300 so I'm guessing a new one must be around £450.

Is that no good, its meant to be a bargain according to HDUK thats why I got it
onkyo_tx_sr507_front.jpg

OnkyoSR507back.jpg

If its no good then I will sell it or return it and get the Onkyo TX-SR508 instead which is £350 compared to this which is £180? I dont know about the speakers you mentioned but im really trying to keep the whole lot under £3k

I have attached a price breakdown let me know what you think... I dont think I will be doing the whole 7.1 thing but will be adding 2extra rear speakers because the room is 42 foot long...

Also the reason im going for ceiling speakers because its not going to be a dedicated home cinema anymore its just one massive open plan room with PJ and sofas... Normal price for this amp is about £280

Last edited:
Back