40" Samsung Full HD 3D LED TV - £59!

got an order in and they have just canceled mine
Coley

I thought when a shop advertised at a certain price they had to sell at that price.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

anyone who ordered let us know if you get a result :)
Got cancelled. Some have been offered 10% off a TV purchase, others haven't.
I thought when a shop advertised at a certain price they had to sell at that price.
After the Kodak fiasco back in 2001, most retailers changed their T&Cs to state the "offer to sell" is not binding until dispatch.

Got cancelled. Some have been offered 10% off a TV purchase, others haven't.

After the Kodak fiasco back in 2001, most retailers changed their T&Cs to state the "offer to sell" is not binding until dispatch.

Purchase law is still relevant regardless of any t&c's companies implement. If they take the money from your account they have entered a legally binding contract to sell at that price. As with anything though it is difficult to get the seller to go along with it but legally they are obliged to. I had a similar situation with O2 last year. It took a lot of hassle but in the end all of us who took the chance won out and got our goods at the stupid cheap price :)

If an item is miss priced then a seller does not legally have to sell at that price. Once the seller has accepted payment ( in my case, taken payment from account ) they have entered the contract and legally should supply said goods at that price.

Tawke is correct as tesco were so quick to point out to me when I tried ordering something off their site that was mispriced, they won't take money until its shipped or just about to be, saves their bacon that way :(

Shame noone got their tellys though:(

... If they take the money from your account they have entered a legally binding contract to sell at that price...
In a bricks and mortar store yes, but unfortunately not true with distance purchases. Even Consumer Direct say the seller can dictate in their T&Cs the point at which the contract is formed, and would therefore have to honour the price.

As for honouring misprices in general:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Yourconsumerrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_182935 said:
Pricing and your rights.
The price of any item you buy should be clearly priced. If an item has been wrongly priced by mistake, you don’t have the right to buy it at that price. For example if a coat is priced at £29, but is actually £299 when you get to the till. [My underlining]

In a bricks and mortar store yes, but unfortunately not true with distance purchases. Even Consumer Direct say the seller can dictate in their T&Cs the point at which the contract is formed, and would therefore have to honour the price.

As for honouring misprices in general:

Totally agree with that but it's irrelevant here since once they have taken the money they have agreed to the sale at that price. If they don't take the money then there is no contract, as soon as they take it the contract is made and they have agreed to sell at that price.

I don't know why some retailers take the money first as they leave themselves wide open.

Purchase law is still relevant regardless of any t&c's companies implement. If they take the money from your account they have entered a legally binding contract to sell at that price. As with anything though it is difficult to get the seller to go along with it but legally they are obliged to. I had a similar situation with O2 last year. It took a lot of hassle but in the end all of us who took the chance won out and got our goods at the stupid cheap price :)

If an item is miss priced then a seller does not legally have to sell at that price. Once the seller has accepted payment ( in my case, taken payment from account ) they have entered the contract and legally should supply said goods at that price.

not the same for long distance selling mate ie internet

Totally agree with that but it's irrelevant here since once they have taken the money they have agreed to the sale at that price. If they don't take the money then there is no contract, as soon as they take it the contract is made and they have agreed to sell at that price.

I don't know why some retailers take the money first as they leave themselves wide open.

again not the same with long distance purchase , they can take all the money they like they dont have to sell you the item just obviously give money back
totaly wrong in my opinion but that doesnt count unfortunatley

again not the same with long distance purchase , they can take all the money they like they dont have to sell you the item just obviously give money back
totaly wrong in my opinion but that doesnt count unfortunatley

Well right or wrong I always challenge a company that takes the payment and then reneges. It's paid off more than once and have got cheap goods whereas if I took your advice I'd have got nothing but a period of me having less money in my account doing nothing for me and earning interest for those who really should not have taken it in the first place.

Well right or wrong I always challenge a company that takes the payment and then reneges. It's paid off more than once and have got cheap goods whereas if I took your advice I'd have got nothing but a period of me having less money in my account doing nothing for me and earning interest for those who really should not have taken it in the first place.

its not advice its a statement , if you succeed then good on you i agree with al lyou say!! maybe ill try your approach on next mismatch fingers crossed

its not advice its a statement , if you succeed then good on you i agree with al lyou say!! maybe ill try your approach on next mismatch fingers crossed

Thanks. I'm no expert, as you have proved, but I've looked at the DSR and its rules and regs and understand what I read but cannot find anywhere that states when the actual contract is formed. From what you tell me it's solely down to the seller to make up the rules as to when the contract is actually formed. Is this correct? Can you show me the info? ( I'm not doubting you I just cannot find that info )

I guess my persistence must just pay off for me. If I was you I wouldn't bother trying since you'll probably not have enough conviction to persuade them as you know they are in the right.

Last edited:
A contract to buy is made within the negotiation just before you pay for the goods. However in order for a sales contract to be legally binding the agreed price must be of benefit to both the retailer and customer alike. If the agreed price is not of benefit to the retailer then the SOGA will not apply. Either party can terminate a contract before the customer takes delivery of the goods without cause. After delivery has been made it gets a bit more tricky.

Hi Guys,

Registered here to let you know I ordered the above telly and was fulfilled! Im now the proud owner of a 40" Samsung 3D TV for £59.00. I know a few others who ordered and got their order cancelled but mine (and at least 2 others I know) managed to get delivery.

I think the trick was that I ordered a pair of 3D specs with the set which meant the total order was £96ish (I think). Never expected this to work as I had also reserved one for store delivery and had a call from the store within an hour to say it was a misprice, but lo and behold the set I paid to have delivered turned up next day!!

I think 2012 is going to be a lucky one for me :)

Hi Guys,

Registered here to let you know I ordered the above telly and was fulfilled! Im now the proud owner of a 40" Samsung 3D TV for £59.00. I know a few others who ordered and got their order cancelled but mine (and at least 2 others I know) managed to get delivery.

I think the trick was that I ordered a pair of 3D specs with the set which meant the total order was £96ish (I think). Never expected this to work as I had also reserved one for store delivery and had a call from the store within an hour to say it was a misprice, but lo and behold the set I paid to have delivered turned up next day!!

I think 2012 is going to be a lucky one for me :)

yes yes alright, we know you only registered to gloat. Lol Nah but seriously fair play mate! I'd be over the moon!

yes yes alright, we know you only registered to gloat. Lol Nah but seriously fair play mate! I'd be over the moon!

lol but seriously I would be skeptical of a newbie with one post,who specifically registered here just to tell us that ;)

Back