Zafira - clattering.

If the noise is coming from the water pump don't drive it m8. if it decides to lock up it will break the timing belt. The water pump is not hard to do it's a couple of hours work, just make sure you line the timing marks up before you take the belt off. Any time I do one I mark the back timing belt cover and pulley with tip-x.

Don't laugh at my next question, I really know fook all about cars, but how many water pumps are there in a car engine?

I thought there was only 1.

You see, water is travelling through my engine and keeping it cool, when I remove the lid from the coolant reservoir I can see the hot water returning from the engine, so AFAICS the water pump is fine.

Or is ther another pump somewhere that I don't know about?

Don't laugh at my next question, I really know fook all about cars, but how many water pumps are there in a car engine?

I thought there was only 1.

You see, water is travelling through my engine and keeping it cool, when I remove the lid from the coolant reservoir I can see the hot water returning from the engine, so AFAICS the water pump is fine.

Or is ther another pump somewhere that I don't know about?

No m8 there is only one m8, there is blades on the inside of the pump some of them could of snapped when it froze they might be hitting the remaining ones. Its very hard to tell with out seeing it.

View attachment 49994

Oh I see.

That looks small though, the noise my car is making seems too 'large' for it to be coming from something as small as that.

Does that make sense? :err:

lol

Here is a highly detail technical representation of the problematic area.

The circled section is the area that is making the most noise (Clattering), I'm not sure if there is noise from anywhere else as the clattering drowns everything else out.

A1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I see.

That looks small though, the noise my car is making seems too 'large' for it to be coming from something as small as that.

Does that make sense? :err:

lol

The picture might be deciving m8, if that is hitting it would make a hell of a noise. You might be as well getting it looked it before it gets worse.

I've got a fella looking at it on Saturday mate. :)

I found a video on YouTube of a Porsche 844 making a very similar noise.

I had exactly the same about a month ago, a horrible scraping, clattering noise. The bearing in the water pump had shattered to bits, it still worked but made hell of a racket.

I had exactly the same about a month ago, a horrible scraping, clattering noise. The bearing in the water pump had shattered to bits, it still worked but made hell of a racket.

Did it sound anything like this mate?

When the guy walks to the front of the car you can hear a clattering.

This is more or less what mine sounds like.

The mechanic is coming out tomorrow afternoon instead of Saturday. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYIcCPa3Ws[/ame]

If the noise is coming from the water pump don't drive it m8. if it decides to lock up it will break the timing belt. The water pump is not hard to do it's a couple of hours work, just make sure you line the timing marks up before you take the belt off. Any time I do one I mark the back timing belt cover and pulley with tip-x.
the water pump belt isnt the same as a timing belt
its what u call a fan belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYIcCPa3Ws
that sound like cam noise
the tappets are at fault
i have that on mine but after the engine warms up it goes quiet

the water pump belt isnt the same as a timing belt
its what u call a fan belt

I'm a mechanic m8 time served on cars now days I work on aircraft, the water pump on most vauxhall/opel cars is driven by the timing belt, the fan belt drives the alternator and when fitted power steering.

On Christmas Eve, I jumped into the car and noticed that the temp was - 8 degrees, the car started no problem though it did sound a little rough.

I drove into town and noticed that I had no heating and that my engine temp had rocketed up into the red. I pulled over, popped my bonnet and checked my hoses, sure enough a big thick hose feeding the radiator had popped off and all my coolant was pouring onto the road - I couldn't have had enough anti-freeze in it I suppose and as the water froze and expanded it must have popped the clip on the hose.

I pulled into a garage, reattached the hose, filled the car with fresh water and added 1 Litre of anti-freeze (£9 for a litre!), I checked for leaks and drove off.

My engine temp returned to normal, and after having to make another stop to bleed air from the system my heating returned and I was dead chuffed with myself :)

So, now the car is running at normal temps and I have heating again, but my engine sounds like a tank - and a broken tank at that!

When I start I hear an awful clattering, it gets worse if I rev the engine but almost goes away if I rev over 4000 rpm, my oil pressure light comes on from time to time yet when I check my oil level when the engine is cold it is just below the MAX marker.

I had treated myself to a big 5L bottle of Castrol GTX a while ago but that ran out during the summer, so from the summer until now I had been running the car with supermarket brand engine oil, could my problem be caused by shit oil? :err:
what engine is in the car m8?? size petrol/diesel ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYIcCPa3Ws

worse, that sounds more tappety.

something like this guys, but mine seemed louder.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C4gQB8-64k&NR=1[/ame]

if it is a diesel engine i would say timing chain

if it is a diesel engine i would say timing chain

yes I agree I also own a 1200 cc petrol corsa the chain rattle likes fook , some day I will get round to sorting it out . the Mrs tells tells me now that's one of my new year to do list lol

what engine is in the car m8?? size petrol/diesel ??

1.8 Petrol mate.

I know everyone is saying it's most likely the tappets and there deffo IS tappet noise there, there is also this awful clatter noise on top of the tappets.

I'll soon find out, as my 'man' is on his way over :)

I hope he doesn't shout too loud :(

BTW, my car has done 78K, should I ask him to replace the Cam Belt while he's in there?

Last edited:
1.8 Petrol mate.

I know everyone is saying it's most likely the tappets and there deffo IS tappet noise there, there is also this awful clatter noise on top of the tappets.

I'll soon find out, as my 'man' is on his way over :)

I hope he doesn't shout too loud :(

BTW, my car has done 78K, should I ask him to replace the Cam Belt while he's in there?
i dont really know these cars but tappets may be the cam followers are hydrolic and the oil has shitted them up not keeping up with the service :(
a oil change and a blast through with engine flush may sort it

OK, my 'man' has just left.

As soon as I turned the engine over he looked at me with serious eyes and said "that is NOT good".

Water Pump is fooked as predicted :( but he also said that my Cylinder head was needing replaced and mentioned some sort of shaft sounded as though it was needing replaced :eek:

He said to me "I don't know whether to fit a new engine or repair this one, it's in a really bad way".

I asked him to do the minimum amount of work so that the car would become driveable again, and he reckons I could get by with replacing just the water pump and the cam belt, so he's going to repair these parts just now (Tuesday) and I'll get the rest done in a month or two.

He's going to replace pump and renew cam belt and all the wee bits and bobs that go with that. He said summit else too but my brain had just switched off by this point.

So, on Tuesday I'm getting the pump and belt replaced and it's costing approx £250 - he said something else but Ican't remember what it was.

I wonder if the Mods would allow a "SAVE WITCHYS MOTOR APPEAL" ;)

I'm off now to get teh bus into town, I've not been on a bus for about 16 years.

Last edited:

As soon as I turned the engine over he looked at me with serious eyes and said "that is NOT good".

Water Pump is fooked as predicted :( but he also said that my Cylinder head was needing replaced and mentioned some sort of shaft sounded as though it was needing replaced :eek:

He said to me "I don't know whether to fit a new engine or repair this one, it's in a really bad way".

I asked him to do the minimum amount of work so that the car would become driveable again, and he reckons I could get by with replacing just the water pump and the cam belt, so he's going to repair these parts just now (Tuesday) and I'll get the rest done in a month or two.

wicky . when u get on the bus just go to the back and wait for the conductor lol

He's going to replace pump and renew cam belt and all the wee bits and bobs that go with that. He said summit else too but my brain had just switched off by this point.

So, on Tuesday I'm getting the pump and belt replaced and it's costing approx £250 - he said something else but Ican't remember what it was.

I'm off now to get teh bus into town, I've not been on a bus for about 16 years.

he might l said he was changing the cambelt pullys m8 ,, anyway , l had one 2 years back where the belt had jumped a tooth and the rattle from the head was very noisy m8 ,, the valves can skim the pistons and rattle and clatter like m8 ,, when he retimes it it might be fine

theshaft was it the cam shaft

and are u sure about the cam belt
even 1.8 petrol had the timing chain

Back