Zafira - clattering.

theshaft was it the cam shaft

and are u sure about the cam belt
even 1.8 petrol had the timing chain

they dont m8 ,.. its defo a belt
images

Last edited:
Pully's that was it Paul. :)

He reckons the existing engine wear isn't too much of an emergency and we can sort that later (he's going to run a few tests on the Engine on Tuesday too to get a better idea of what's going on), in the meantime he said to me "if you drive this car from now until Tuesday, then I'll not be working on it", lol, he must know me ;)

I've been looking on the Net and I've found the stuff I need.

The prices are much cheaper than the prices the mechanic was quoting me.

For instance I can get the water pump for £19 including delivery and a cam belt kit for £58 including delivery.

He quoted me DOUBLE these prices.

Is £250 a good price for getting a water pump and cam belt replaced?

What would a garage charge?

The only thing you might find about supplying your own gear is the Mechanic wont guarantee it,as it could be crap quality.

That price would certainly match up with the exchange rate to what I have paid in the past for the same job here in Ireland.

The only thing you might find about supplying your own gear is the Mechanic wont guarantee it,as it could be crap quality.

That price would certainly match up with the exchange rate to what I have paid in the past for the same job here in Ireland.

Was yours done by a bloke on the street or in a garage?

cambelt kit 68 + vat
water pump 35 + vat all guaranteed for a year ( if belt snaps garage has to replace head ) not you
antifreeze 10 + vat
trusted parts only
labour £110

going around your home on his day off on new years day, free

223 + vat
266 total

this is about right m8 .. his not havin u over at that

You could try and haggle a bit as he's hardly likely to be very busy at the moment :)

cambelt kit 68 + vat
water pump 35 + vat all guaranteed for a year ( if belt snaps garage has to replace head ) not you
antifreeze 10 + vat
trusted parts only
labour £110

going around your home on his day off on new years day, free

223 + vat
266 total

this is about right m8 .. his not havin u over at that

See now, the last time I got a guy off the street to do work on my car, surprisingly he didn't charge VAT nor charge me £60 an hour!

The costs that you have quoted above appear to me as what I'd expect to pay at a private garage, not the sort of money I'd expect to pay getting a friend of a friend to work on it.

So, if the above prices are typical for a garage, I'd be far better off just taking the car to a garage and getting receipts and warranty etc.

£10 for anti-freeze? Morrisons have 1L for £1.99 ;)
£35 for a water pump? eBay £19 including delivery. - my guy quoted "around £60"
£68 for a Cam Belt Kit? eBay £58 including delivery. - my guy quoted "around £110"

I understand about the trusted parts and most likely the cheaper stuff on eBay will not be, but I only want the car to run for another year then it's getting binned :)

BTW, he lives a few blocks away on my street and it wasn't New Years Day he had a look at it, it was 31st Dec. :)

Last edited:
You could try and haggle a bit as he's hardly likely to be very busy at the moment :)

Not sure about that mate, all I'm hearing these days is stories of broken down cars, lol.

It was rather cold here last week. :)

See now, the last time I got a guy off the street to do work on my car, surprisingly he didn't charge VAT nor charge me £60 an hour!

The costs that you have quoted above appear to me as what I'd expect to pay at a private garage, not the sort of money I'd expect to pay getting a friend of a friend to work on it.

So, if the above prices are typical for a garage, I'd be far better off just taking the car to a garage and getting receipts and warranty etc.

£10 for anti-freeze? Morrisons have 1L for £1.99 ;)
£35 for a water pump? eBay £19 including delivery. - my guy quoted "around £60"
£68 for a Cam Belt Kit? eBay £58 including delivery. - my guy quoted "around £110"

I understand about the trusted parts and most likely the cheaper stuff on eBay will not be, but I only want the car to run for another year then it's getting binned :)

BTW, he lives a few blocks away on my street and it wasn't New Years Day he had a look at it, it was 31st Dec. :)

l didnt know u were getting the pub expert to do it lol .. if the cambelt isnt done right m8 u can forget about only using for a year

l didnt know u were getting the pub expert to do it lol .. if the cambelt isnt done right m8 u can forget about only using for a year

lol, no he actually works in a local garage, but he's doing it 'on the side' for a little extra cash.

If he's going to charge me the same rate as the garage would anyway, I'd be better off booking myself in and getting proper paperwork etc.

lol, no he actually works in a local garage, but he's doing it 'on the side' for a little extra cash.

If he's going to charge me the same rate as the garage would anyway, I'd be better off booking myself in and getting proper paperwork etc.

TRUE his not doin it cheap m8

print this out and ask him to quote again

Last edited:
He couldn't order the parts over the holiday period so he won't have the parts until tomorrow mate.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have my wee car back, I've really missed it.

He couldn't order the parts over the holiday period so he won't have the parts until tomorrow mate.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have my wee car back, I've really missed it.

been a nightmare here .. birmingham had to stop because of an inch of snow .. workshop full of half finished cars ..

weldone on your 14000 post by the way witchy

Its amazing how we just take them for granted,

Getting buses and walking to the shop is a nightmare ffs :proud:

I have a bus stop right outside my door, but with all the shit weather and holidays there have been no buses running!

I've had to walk everywhere for days, at this rate I may get healthy, I can't stand it, lol

I have a bus stop right outside my door, but with all the shit weather and holidays there have been no buses running!

l

The problem with buses is you meet people you dont want to talk to and can easily avoid when your in your car lol

Back