Young Brits and their communication skills

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Today I have spent the best part 5 or six hours interviewing people for sales jobs in our company. We're trying to save a little money, so are hiring graduates who have just left university.

To say that the level of written and spoken English was bad would be a huge understatement. Out of the 20 odd candidates most were British with 2 candidates being from New Zealand and Canada. These two spoke the best English with readable writing to boot.

I really can't believe how poor the grammar was today. They can't spell, don't know what punctuation is and cant seem to do simple math in their head. We have the exact same sales positions in other countries such as India and South Africa (which many would deem to be third world) and the level of English abroad is vastly superior to what we practice here.

This isn't the first time I have come across such unworthy applicants, the general level of candidacy is very poor when you pitch a UK candidate vs someone from other parts of the world. I think this is real bad news in the long run as I feel our children are getting stupider by the day.

TBH I had a bit of a laugh with some of the candidates, geez some of them sounded like a cross between a dyslexic rapper and Paris Hilton. One guy in particular really made me laugh, he was white, from a reasonable area and a decent schooling background yet he spoke like he was from Jamaica :asta:

Why would a university graduate want a sales job ?

Great pay for a start, most graduates must start at what around £22k-£27k? The starting salary is £30k+bonuses.

Why wouldn't a graduate want a sales job herbie?

Great pay for a start, most graduates must start at what around £22k-£27k? The starting salary is £30k+bonuses.

£30k is a nice start for anyone m8. What is it they would be selling m8

bloody hell! can i work for you?? lol

EDIT:

I mean, Oh my god! May I work for you?

EDIT:

lol...devil666x u looking for a job....

30K + Bonus is not bad as a starting salary i wish i started on that :)
it does depend on were it is, if its in deepest darkest outback then its like a fortune but if its in central London then its not so good...its all relative.

@munkey like u i am at a loss with kids speech, it must be high fashion at the moment for white kids to speak as if they were raised in the jamaca, i was in leeds earlier in the week and as i came out of a customers site i heard voice behind me and was amazed when i turned to see 4 white lads jabbering away.
ive noticed this in nottingham and Milton Keynes recently.

things change thats all i can say times change people change were not all the prim and proper english men and women that used to be around thats a fact of life

So where do we go to get a great job like this? and what would one be selling?

normally a little cocaine around 20 hrs per week i can get you a number :)

EDIT:

pmsl...now that made me laugh devil.

@munkey...too much msn and texting nowdays.

I wud luv 2 have a job working 4 u. 30k starting in sales....nice.

Well i have to say i am with monkey on this one .The standard of English in this country has been getting worse over the last 15 or so years . People ( i won't say kids because they are old enough to be people) leave school with no more than a grunt in their language these days . Their grammar is shocking and their attitude is worse . When you watch films like Oliver Twist it looks like a modern day movie !!

I don't think we practise our reading & writing too much nowadays ..... I personally know my hand writing has went to shit..... I wrote an address on an envelope the other day it looked like a 4 yr old had written it lol

I don't think we practise our reading & writing too much nowadays ..... I personally know my hand writing has went to shit..... I wrote an address on an envelope the other day it looked like a 4 yr old had written it lol

Just posted my comments - hopefully it will get to mickie before someone else posts - but you know our postal service.

I think the biggets problem is that people have become lazy because in general everybody is busier. They take the easy route and use technology to do the things we used to by writing. mobile phones, texts and emails have taken over

I think what is worse is the way in which our spoken language is changing. No offence meant here but have you noticed that most of the white (i hate using that expression) school kids are talking like ali-G. Is it television that does this or the ethnic diversity in schools that are making our kids sound Gangsta

Well the english language is going to change over time, especially as the UK is now home to many whom do not speak english as a first language. The children of today all learn in the same classroom and the language changes over time. The thing is this slang and abbreviations are fast becomming part of the english language and american english and canadian english etc can never be more correct because we are english and this is how we speak and spell.

The standard of reading,writing and the spoken word has in my opinion went down dramatically over the last 20 years or so. I blame in order of influence - The PC, The TV, Games Consoles and lastly education. To say that the language is changing is just a cop out in my opinion. The same "rules" of good communication are the same today as they were 50 years ago. A certain standard is expected, not just here in the UK but worldwide too.
Remember these are the guys and girls who will be running the show when we are going to the post office to collect our pension (at age 95 BTW). Is it too much to ask that we as a country are represented by people who have at least a basic grasp of the English language ?
If you even think of it in the sales enviroment mentioned above by the OP. Don't know about you people but if im trying to purchase something over the phone and the person at the other end is difficult to understand I hang up and either redial or move on. Same deal for people calling me to sell me stuff. Not so bad in a live shop - but still a tad annoying. Now Im not asking for Wordsworth here just someone who can be understood and can understand me.
Anyway rant over, I agree with Munkey.........awight !!!:Doc:

Back