Young Brits and their communication skills

Being an Exec at a multinational and managing a large WW sales team, I need to agree that in general the level of UK candidates is very low in comparison to most other Countries. Its an International environment and most countries have english as a Second Language, and speak / write English better that native English speakers. Its not enough now to speak one language well but multiple. Sadly the English mentaility of "Foreign Languages are for foreigners still rules".

Very true. Most foreign English speakers/writers also have no trouble avoiding the Grocer's apostrophe; one of the great tragedies of modern English usage.

Being an Exec at a multinational and managing a large WW sales team, I need to agree that in general the level of UK candidates is very low in comparison to most other Countries. Its an International environment and most countries have english as a Second Language, and speak / write English better that native English speakers. Its not enough now to speak one language well but multiple. Sadly the English mentaility of "Foreign Languages are for foreigners still rules".

thanks for posting. I'm not surprised by what you saw. I've been trying to illustrate that point in this thread and whilst some people agree a lot do not.

Good that you got to see it in an international environment. Compared to the global candidates English peoples language skills are very weak in English let alone foreign languages.

Unfortunately I don't see things getting better as its much easier and cheaper to fudge exams and make our kids look smarter than they actually are.

I don't think it is the peoples fault if they cant speak proper English. I blame their parents for not trying to teach them how to speak properly and their teachers for not teaching them how to construct proper sentences. Obviously it is their fault aswell as they have not tried to better their grammer and numeracy. Or maybe they just didn't really want the job and they weren't trying very hard.

unfortunately some of the posts on this forum don't exactly display exemplary english either :Biggrin2:

I Supose It's True That Most Foregin Speakers Actually Are Better At The Language Than Us, But At The End Of The Day Its Where You Grow Up And Who You Grow Up With I Can Go From Talking Nice And Normal To L33t T3xt Sp3ak Easily :) Lmao Although I Never Speek With £'s As My E's.

I Supose It's True That Most Foregin Speakers Actually Are Better At The Language Than Us, But At The End Of The Day Its Where You Grow Up And Who You Grow Up With I Can Go From Talking Nice And Normal To L33t T3xt Sp3ak Easily :) Lmao Although I Never Speek With £'s As My E's.

That's just capital.

I wish you would stop writing every word in your posts with capital letters. It's making my eyes go funny.

No offence intended but it's bloody irritating me.

I wish you would stop writing every word in your posts with capital letters. It's making my eyes go funny.

No offence intended but it's bloody irritating me.

Its like reading on a roller-coaster :)

My wee sisters boyfriend texted me the other day...Something along the lines of....., "rite m8.c if u gt a "...Something like that. I txt back FU** OFF. Works every time. the next message is usually readable.

Ive had a few things off ebay, where the address looks like a 3 year old wrote it. They've even spelt half of the address wrong before. ITS ON THE SCREEN COPY IT!

Maybe we should get some of them to start coding C, half of them talk like that language anyway.

When I want to i can speak very professionally and use buzz-words. Why do people come up with new buzz words every year?

Last edited:
Back