Worth gambling on an s11, or better sticking to an s9?

cdy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Opinions on the above question, guys? I've been reading that the s11 is problem-prone? On the other hand I'm concerned that the s9 is effectively being phased-out.

how about s10?
s9 support is petering out and the s10, s11 firmware is the same.The s11 is just a stripped down s10

Im pretty sure you can get an s12 now lol I'd get an s10 mate unless you specifically need a scart socket, I have an s10 and it does the job :)

Very basic though

if you are looking for a sub £100 reciever then have a look at the orton x403p hd same size box as s10 but better spec
easy to set up like s10 as a client box works with cccam mgcamnd newcamnd good hd picture if you just want to use it to view tv simple to set up pvr via usb remote control is not that brilliant and only has a now and next epg but what do you expect for a £70 hd box
if you have a little extra cash and like to fiddle and want a good epg and lots of linux extras try a 800hd about £140

Last edited:
you still not bought a box yet cdy, lol, its been months now you've been asking about different boxes, just jump in and get yourself 1, get yourself a dreambox 800 you really cant go wrong with them, yes there a little harder to setup then a openbox, but you gain more back once you have it setup the way you like it, its real rewarding setting up your box for the 1st time. i enjoy setting them up the way i like more than i like watching the tv i think, lol!

if you are looking for a sub £100 reciever then have a look at the orton x403p hd same size box as s10 but better spec
easy to set up like s10 as a client box works with cccam mgcamnd newcamnd good hd picture if you just want to use it to view tv simple to set up pvr via usb remote control is not that brilliant and only has a now and next epg but what do you expect for a £70 hd box
if you have a little extra cash and like to fiddle and want a good epg and lots of linux extras try a 800hd about £140

@halfman halflager - I've been really interested in the x403p hd for a while. I even posted a query on here about it a few months back but didn't receive any response!

you still not bought a box yet cdy, lol, its been months now you've been asking about different boxes, just jump in and get yourself 1, get yourself a dreambox 800 you really cant go wrong with them, yes there a little harder to setup then a openbox, but you gain more back once you have it setup the way you like it, its real rewarding setting up your box for the 1st time. i enjoy setting them up the way i like more than i like watching the tv i think, lol!
It has been months, mate - you're right! I'm a procrastinator!

Im pretty sure you can get an s12 now lol I'd get an s10 mate unless you specifically need a scart socket, I have an s10 and it does the job :)

Very basic though
I probably won't need a scart but it would be good have the option!

honest mate, and this is just my opinion, i think you will be totally underwhelmed with 1 of these boxes, yes you can watch the same channels as any other receiver, but the whole interface is crap in my eyes, sent mine back after 2 days of having it, now got 4 dreambox 800's scattered about my house and couldnt be happier with them!

@halfman halflager - I've been really interested in the x403p hd for a while. I even posted a query on here about it a few months back but didn't receive any response!

was it here https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/273697/#post2009471
looks like you had an answer to that question or is there something more you needed to know

checking through some of your posts you seem to be confussing yourself with diff boxes you have stated the epg is important and you need more than now and next if this is the case you can forget about any hd box under £100
start affresh list the needs you want the budget you have and go from there
if you want sly type epg and recording features then you need to look for the vu duo types but if spending that sort of money then the cost of 2 sub lines for a twin tuner then it maybe worth doing a gen sub
if its just a basic box to plug in and watch tv with a line and your not worried about epg or sometimes poor response from remote then any of the boxes metioned will be ok
with a better epg and more media and lan functions then dm800 clone about £140 harder to learn but more features
i have an orton its fine for runnin a line to watch tv a million times better than my spiderbox ever did with this line
it records to usb from standby spiderbox could not do this plays ts files as records in this and mp3 and jpg has now and next epg can have 32 fav lists but the remote is a bit iffy at times but at £70 what more could you want for the money
so do your lists of needs for a box and take it from there and people who have had them can comment
if you want to dip your toe in the water and are not worried about hd go for a clone 500s place i saw on line selling brand new blackbox 500s for £43 delivered very cheap to learn ftp on and tinker with without spending a fortune and realising linux boxes are not for you

Last edited by a moderator:
You've covered alot there, mate, thanks!
Yes, the link you pasted is the post. I did receive one helful reply, but I was hoping to receive a few!
I've deemphasised the importance of the EPG. From what I can gather, the onnly significant difference between the s9/s10/x403hd and the doubly expensive DM800 and BM7000 seems to be the 7-day EPG functionlity of the latter 2. EPG isn't so important that I'm prepared to pay twice the price! That being said, I think I'll go for an s9 or s10 for my first box.

I hadn't considered an eaglebox! Oh, no .... more reading!!

honest mate, and this is just my opinion, i think you will be totally underwhelmed with 1 of these boxes, yes you can watch the same channels as any other receiver, but the whole interface is crap in my eyes, sent mine back after 2 days of having it, now got 4 dreambox 800's scattered about my house and couldnt be happier with them!

Couldn't agree more! When cable was in full swing I was really into my 500c and had more fun messing about with it than actually watching tv. Bought an s10 to mess about with now I've got a dish and yes, it does its job but there is literally no room to tinker. Long story short im now waiting for an 800se to be delivered :) (keep an eye on the classifieds I'm sure you'll see my openbox there soon lol)

Buy a DM800SE cdy, get it over and done, you won't be disappointed.

Stop procrastinating, deliberating and conjugating. You are not Loyd Grossman!

I am scouring the earth looking for the easiest spi parallel port programmer I could slap together myself.
So far I am leaning towards the spi_tt_v1.027 programmer which was the last one I could find of that series in english.
The ultimate fun would be to be able to program the flash chip in-circuit.
Worst case would be to unsolder and program and to use some sort of socket for u39.

Have had success with programming the mw25L3206e and how did you do it?

Back