Wireless Router Advice

nizzex

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hi.

I have 1 PC Connected to the Internet via NTL Cble and I recently purchased a IBM Thinkpad X30, and I want to connect the laptop to the Internet using a Router using the PCs connection. I also want advice on which Router i should buy.

Thanks.

nizzex said:
Hi.

I have 1 PC Connected to the Internet via NTL Cble and I recently purchased a IBM Thinkpad X30, and I want to connect the laptop to the Internet using a Router using the PCs connection. I also want advice on which Router i should buy.

Thanks.

Like you say the best option is to install a router, this will give you extra security as they use NAT, basically it is a hardware firewall. I would recomend linksys as they are easy to install and once there up they never go down.
Here is a good product
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...t_id=LNKNA01C1J&nbs_search=C=109&S=1057&M=LNK

or if you would like to go wireless here is the other product
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002LHXB6/qid=1138382315/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/203-0792262-7155123[/ame]

and for the laptop you will need one of these if it is not wireless enabled? (centreno)
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYM/qid=1138382315/sr=8-12/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i12_xgl/203-0792262-7155123[/ame]

Hope this helps

Capdan

ditch usb, this is emulating a real network environmen, you will have ethernet on your cable modem too, as long as you have ethernet on your computer all will be ok, if you do not have ethernet on your computer then you can purchase a ethernet card for around £7 on the web.

Cable comes in to your modem, from your modem take ethernet to the broard band router, from your router to any other ethernet device!

Capdan

capdan said:
ditch usb, this is emulating a real network environmen, you will have ethernet on your cable modem too, as long as you have ethernet on your computer all will be ok, if you do not have ethernet on your computer then you can purchase a ethernet card for around £7 on the web.

Cable comes in to your modem, from your modem take ethernet to the broard band router, from your router to any other ethernet device!

Capdan

I just recently brought a Ethernet card and Installed it on my PC, so now I need to buy a Wireless router....

How easy is it to install a Router? is it simple as connected cable from cable modem to router and works? Give me more information..

Do you think a LINKSYS WRT54GSUK will be good?

the linksys stuff is good value routers and they are pretty easy to set up, ive done a few of them and i find that they are better than belkin ect to get up and running. u may find however that they quickly lock up under heavy loading like using bitcomet but this is pretty comman with sub £100 routers.

but i would go for it mate, its a good all rounder.

Wrt 54g

Always buy this box, it is the dreambox of wirless routers!

check the X30 as it comes with built in wifi, all you need is the Wireless Access Point Router, connect this to your NTL modem box and your away. Recommend the Linksys

nizzex said:
Do you think a LINKSYS WRT54GSUK will be good?

Yes m8. That's exactly what I'm using. I haven't got much experiance when it comes to wireless networking and stuff as this was my first, but I got it up and running in no time, definately recommended.:)

Back