Windows 8

remember u need to have a genuine key from the windows your using now aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im grabbing the upgrade at £25 which i think is a very good deal .......

but what i am concerned about is .... if i upgrade my win 7 full retail to win 8, will i loose my win 7 full retail license.....??? i always get the full retail license as im always upgrading my pc.
so i can upgrade my motherboard and anything else i want to which you cant with an oem license. oem is tied to the motherboard once registered....

as win 8 isnt going on sale as full retail but only as an upgrade or oem (system builder) editions id rather get a cheap vista license and upgrade that to win 8 rather than loose my win 7 full retail license ........

just been filling out order form but it didnt give me option for 32bit or 64bit what version did you get m8.

just been filling out order form but it didnt give me option for 32bit or 64bit what version did you get m8.

Its the same download for both mate it decides itself which to install I believe
EDIT: I may be wrong though it could be like mh says.
remember u need to have a genuine key from the windows your using now aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you dont need a serial for the 25 quid version mate.

Last edited:
If you have used the upgrade assistant, it will download the correct version :)

with your download do you get a serial number as well or do you have to pay for that as well, as i allready have it on disk as you know just need a serial number.

Essentially you are paying for the serial number, and you get the option to download the software for free. Or pay an additional fee for the physical media.

l thought people were saying u needed to insert your serial from your window 7 or vista to get the download now

Thats just if you have bought a new computer/laptop in the last few months you can upgrade for 15 mate you can buy it out right for 25 ive ended up paying 25 then bought a new lappy and then used the upgrade offer and paid 15 thats when you need the win 7 key

Last edited:
Essentially you are paying for the serial number, and you get the option to download the software for free. Or pay an additional fee for the physical media.

looks like i will have to buy a copy, the crack dont seem to work to well for me. i crack it and the next day it needs doing again right pain.

im going legal my copy has been shipped today for the students4software site get both disks for £49.49 no more hassle with cracks and activation crap, dont it make you feel goos been legal :).

i wanted the original disks m8 with the £25 off you get a download, which works fine but burning disks dont last as long as originals. :)

i wanted the original disks m8 with the £25 off you get a download, which works fine but burning disks dont last as long as originals. :)

Burning an ISO is normal practice, how long are you expecting your DVD to last for? A few years time and it will be a defunct OS anyway replaced by something else. I'm not aware of any corporate practices that still buy retail packs, most are VLK and a technet sub or the ISOs are burnt to writable media. As far as I'm aware one doesn't last any longer than the other, optical media is relatively the same whether duplicated on mass with a fancy print or on your home burner.

DVD-R burn life is guaranteed for only 10 years or something? rings a bell, i read it somewhere.

I just keep the ISO's

DVD-R burn life is guaranteed for only 10 years or something? rings a bell, i read it somewhere.

I just keep the ISO's

Tbh i do to, I generally don't burn to disk anymore unless necessary and mount the ISOs. Can build a PC without any physical media.

Guaranteed for 10 years, but doesn't mean the content deteriorates at that point ;)

It is estimated that a DVD-RW or DVD+RW disc can be rewritten approximately 1000 times and a DVD-RAM 100,000 times. In addition, these formats (under certain circumstances) employ defect management schemes to actively verify data and skip over or relocate problems to a spare area of the disc.

The life span of a written disc depends upon a number of factors including such things as the intrinsic properties of the materials used in the disc’s construction, the quality of its manufacture, how well it is recorded and the way it has been handled and stored. As a result, the life span of a recorded disc is extremely difficult to estimate reliably. However, to calculate disc life spans within some practical timeframe blank media manufacturers conduct accelerated age testing by subjecting samples of their discs to environments much beyond those experienced under normal storage conditions. Generally speaking, these tests only consider the effects of varying temperature and humidity. Results are then used to predict how long a disc will remain readable under more normal storage conditions. Questionable testing and measurement procedures can seriously impact upon and compromise these estimates so keep in mind that unlike prerecorded (pressed) CD and CD-R discs there are currently no international standards for conducting writable DVD accelerated testing. Writable DVDs and CDs may appear similar, but their construction and underlying design differ significantly so what applies to the one does not necessarily apply to the other.

As with CD-R and CD-RW discs media manufacturers have performed their own lifetime evaluations using a variety of homegrown tests and mathematical modeling techniques. Generally speaking, manufacturers claim life spans ranging from 30 to 100 years for DVD-R and DVD+R discs and up to 30 years for DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM. Be aware, however, that disc producers, manufacturing methods and materials change over time as do applications and cost imperatives. Consequently, those concerned with disc longevity should consult their media manufacturer for more particular information.

Last edited:
i tend not to use CDs/DVDs as my primary backup, but always worth having copies on DVD as backup-backup and stuffed in a cupboard somewhere!

any one run this on vmware? I'm not wanting to install it over the top of any of my rigs at the minute......just like to see it running on a virtual machine. ;)

Yep. I've got Pro VL 64bit running. It's big bugger but running nicely. Activated it on another VM running KVM. Still don't like it though :)

Yep. I've got Pro VL 64bit running. It's big bugger but running nicely. Activated it on another VM running KVM. Still don't like it though :)

Plus one to that as a 67 year old I think windows 8 is a gimmick to sell more win8 phones while it looks ok on a mobile phone it is ridiculous on 20something monitor and who wants that sort of phone crap as a desktop I tried it hated it and got my money back it would even install as an upgrade on my newer laptop and the old xp I did a fresh install on took 2/3 minutes to boot

Back