Windows 8

any one run this on vmware? I'm not wanting to install it over the top of any of my rigs at the minute......just like to see it running on a virtual machine. ;)

you mean to tell me all the stuff you have in your pad, you dont have a spare hard drive to install it to, you could always duel boot simple with windows 8 just needs max 40gb space that what they recormmend, give it a try you may get to like it, i have only found one bug so far but i think thats IE10 not win8 (you cant upload attactment) you have to host it somewhere, unless there is a setting for it not looked to be honest.

My experience of the upgrade path has been abysmal, two workstations and a laptop all failed. Best with a fresh install. I had the re-release running on a VM beforehand and it seemed relatively smooth.

In terms of Windows 8 itself, I hate the whole metro interface but it does grow on you a little bit. You can, and it makes a huge difference to the experience, get hold of "classic shell" which essentially allows you to select the old start menu interface and customise, it also boots direct into windows so bypasses the metro interface completely (although it is there in the background if you want to use it)

Anyone who performs an upgrade is just plain daft in my opinion.

Always a clean fresh install.

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

Anyone who performs an upgrade is just plain daft in my opinion.

Always a clean fresh install.

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

100% clean install everytime, plus if you do an upgrade it will take about 2/3 hours NOW that would drive me nuts.

100% clean install everytime, plus if you do an upgrade it will take about 2/3 hours NOW that would drive me nuts.

Must have had a lot of crap, mine took 20 minutes....you must look for trouble nap, buying legit Windows 8 DVDs, 2-3 hours upgrades...sheesh.

I would normally agree with the fresh install path and it is my preferred route, however if your as anal as me with regards to setup and configuration, a "complete" rebuild of my primary system can take me as much as two days before I have it back to the original config, and it's something I really don't have the time to do.

@ Napster mate. Na can't be chewed with dual boot and pulling hard drives out and that and the like so VM ware is really good for me and runs well on this rig/laptop so just wanted to give it a go. If I like it then I'll dual boot one of them.....

Just had a look on a naughty site and can see a few versions, what one did you grab Exos ?

@ Napster mate. Na can't be chewed with dual boot and pulling hard drives out and that and the like so VM ware is really good for me and runs well on this rig/laptop so just wanted to give it a go. If I like it then I'll dual boot one of them.....

Just had a look on a naughty site and can see a few versions, what one did you grab Exos ?

I have the Pro & Enterprise versions, but I have access to the MS VLSC so it's easy enough for me to d/l.

I've just crawled out of bed, you got a link...lol or if not what one would be good? brain's just kicking in *yawns and walks along the passage in boxers to make a cup of corfeeeeeee*

I've just crawled out of bed, you got a link...lol or if not what one would be good? brain's just kicking in *yawns and walks along the passage in boxers to make a cup of corfeeeeeee*

I can give you the link, but unless you have access (it's generally used for VLK access for corporates, rather than public), it's going to be useless to you.

Must have had a lot of crap, mine took 20 minutes....you must look for trouble nap, buying legit Windows 8 DVDs, 2-3 hours upgrades...sheesh.

I would normally agree with the fresh install path and it is my preferred route, however if your as anal as me with regards to setup and configuration, a "complete" rebuild of my primary system can take me as much as two days before I have it back to the original config, and it's something I really don't have the time to do.

Same here about 20 mins to upgrade that being said after about a week my laptop started to run slow not sure why, I've done a clean install this time but that's on a new lappy and its running great that only took about 20 mins to install too if I remember right. The long bit is reinstalling everything but ninite cuts that time down a lot if you haven't used it before it's definitely worth a look.

Same here about 20 mins to upgrade that being said after about a week my laptop started to run slow not sure why, I've done a clean install this time but that's on a new lappy and its running great that only took about 20 mins to install too if I remember right. The long bit is reinstalling everything but ninite cuts that time down a lot if you haven't used it before it's definitely worth a look.

use ninite all the time, it's more so the configuration rather than applications themselves, I have quite a few scheduled tasks and scripts that run.

i've just brought a second hand laptop, if i buy the upgrade can i do a fresh install with it?

thanks

with the upgrade disk you can choose 3 option keep setting, keep programs and settings and keep nothing, thats with the upgrade disk, if you get the version from microsoft you can do i clean install. both disk cost the same if you choose to by them, but i beleave with microsoft you can download just the iso and burn it and they send you a legal key.
there is one for sale it the FOR SALE section :)

Last edited:
cheers guys, upgrade went well all's good

I got it from gumtree had a right result got a sony vaio vpcf12z1e for £300

Hi,

I need to re-install windows 8. Seems the link on page 1, windowsupgradeoffer.com is no longer accessible and wondered if anyone managed to re-install after their initial download? Cant seem to find my product key and wanted to know if its possible to download a genuine version and re-use my product key after I have located it?
Thanks

Hi,

I need to re-install windows 8. Seems the link on page 1, windowsupgradeoffer.com is no longer accessible and wondered if anyone managed to re-install after their initial download? Cant seem to find my product key and wanted to know if its possible to download a genuine version and re-use my product key after I have located it?
Thanks
If you originally purchased via the upgrade offer, try this link.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
You will need an upgrade key to be able to download.

Thanks @little_pob for the link. I ran the app, entered key and its saying windows 8 not available for online purchases in your region (UK).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @little_pob for the link. I ran the app, entered key and its saying windows 8 not available for online purchases in your region (UK).

Odd, the link is from the original email MS sent me when I purchased the upgrade.

Did you buy the key from MS via the upgrade website when it was available? If you did you should have been sent an email titled "Thanks for ordering Windows 8" with the licence key and a link to that page.

Back