Why should we pay for BBC

Well everytime i go to a cable channel al i say is SEEN IT SEEN IT repeated so may times

your paying to watch the same old programes that get shown so many times in a day

i personally don't miss cable or sky, so happy to pay for quality programmes and any way a lot of the bbc content get sold on to channels like DAVE so you get to see em anyway

But they will never do that because they know the if the BBC had to compete with other channels in a fair fight they would lose. Or perhaps if the license fee was shared out to the other 3 major channels they too would be able to afford some decent programs.

It's not about a fair fight, the BBC is a public service. For once a public service is providing something far better than a private service (don't we just wish the NHS could do that).

If the BBC is a public service why is the public never asked if they want to pay it or not. It's never been voted on. Since it was decided that the BBC would charge the fee in 1922 it was decided that it would be a compulsory fee if you wanted to watch ANY tv station.

Regardless of quality or content. It should NOT be compulsory. The BBC should be forced to find alternative funding from the public, like a subscription charge.

I would like to see how that compares to repeats on subscription channels.

Sky One - Simpsons and 24 on constant repeat
ITV 2 - Jeremy Kyle all day long
Comedy Channels - Same 5/6 sitcomms on permanent repeat all year around.

Sports channels are probably 50% repeats and the Movies are just a complete joke (these cost a lot more than the BBC costs).

I would hate to see a world where Sky had the monolopoly.

All that said, the BBC execs are getting paid too much and the expenses are criminal.

Lets forget about programs for a minute.

Do you like being forced to pay for every other channels except BBC's. If you don't watch BBC 100% of the time you are wasting your license fee by watching something that is free.

We all know that over 80% of the money raised goes to the BBC Trust, and not much of whats left goes into any other channel.

Since 1922 when the license was introduced for BBC radio they have re-written and re-worded the license to include all other competing channels. Right from the very beginning ITV was supposed to be free, so the BBC worded the license to say "equipment for receiving a tv signal" this was to make sure that they did not loose out on the money. In present day they have it stiched right up with the wording "watching live TV broadcasts". But it's still the BBC that get's most of the money.

Sky does cost a lot more than the licence fee, and so does cable, but we have a choice to pay those.

Let's say the government turned round one day and said even if you don't have a car or bike we are going to charge you road tax, would you bend over and say please sir can I have some more, or would you refuse to pay.

As I've already said, let the BBC charge what they want, but we should NOT be forced into paying for the free channels. The BBC should be forced into making their service a subscription based scheme or some other way, so that those of you who want to pay the TV tax can do and those of us that don't want to pay can watch other channels.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you in principle.

However I know what a bag of crap the rest of the channels are and that the BBC would be severely missed if it was gone.

Why is this post in the news section ?

Mick

However I know what a bag of crap the rest of the channels are and that the BBC would be severely missed if it was gone.

yep, and we end up watching telly, like the yanks, in 10 minute chunks, with 5 minutes of ad's to separate them. I'm sure somebody wrote a lyric, " you don't know what you've got till its gone." seems kinda appropriate.

I wouldn't say the BBC is any better than the rest, just no adverts, they do some good programs but they are overshadowed by the repeats and crap.

yep, and we end up watching telly, like the yanks, in 10 minute chunks, with 5 minutes of ad's to separate them. I'm sure somebody wrote a lyric, " you don't know what you've got till its gone." seems kinda appropriate.

Which is why I download what I want to watch, no adverts and I can watch it when I choose to, and without paying for the license.

Last edited:
bottom line is if we stop paying our licenses there will be a huge pension deficit and a lot of elderly people who have to give up their luxurious lifestyle

Back